1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rumors: rockets taking interest in trading for Daniel Theis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Jul 31, 2021.

1. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Yes!!

saleem likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why not next year? Because 1 dude is not enough. Is the goal to be contender/dynasty or just make the playoffs asap? That dude can get you to the playoffs but 1 guy cant make a lotto team into a champion.

Nuggets were like the 3rd worst team in the league, they got Melo and then they made the playoffs. But that's their limit already, since they were good enough to make the playoffs they just got mired in mediocrity till Melo got traded to NYC. Same thing when we got Harden, we should've stunk it up and added more pieces around him instead we settled for EG and Ryan Scrubberson.

Look at Dallas for a more recent example. They got Luka who is clearly "that dude". But because Dallas was too excited to make the playoffs they still arent a contender despite having arguably the best young player in the world. I can totally see Dallas just wasting Luka's window and Luka demanding a trade or for drastic changes to be made.

OTH let's look at rebuilding projects that went right GSW, Young Atlanta and KD era OKC. They are made via accumulating a core via tanking for years. Curry and Klay were top 10 lotto and DG was a steal, KD Harden and WB are all top lotto and Young, Collins, Okungwu, Hunter, Reddish are all lotto picks.

What we can see here is its dumb to make the playoffs asap, the best rebuild is one where you accumulate high picks via yrs of suckage. Eventually yes you will want to make the playoffs. But not 1 yr of being bad, I'm hoping Fertita sees this and doesnt get gung ho to make the playoffs immediately. Lets get Banchero first lmao.

#102 roslolian, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    DeBeards likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Detroit was opening up cap space with the Plumlee move to the Hornets and cutting Cory Joseph.

D-rock, roslolian and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I liked KO as well but he fits too well with our crew and might actually make us good.

Better to get 6'8 Theis to ensure we still suck.

jcmoon, BamBam and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I like the idea of Theis being on this team to teach our guys how to be pros. They will not get that from Wall. I just see no way the Rockets can develop Porter and Green with Wall and Gordon on this team.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  6. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

On the floor I think we'll see Theis used similarly to the way Silas used Olynyk. Theis is a decent enough shooter to hit some open threes, and he is definitely an above-average passer for a center. He's not as good as Olynyk at either of those skills but he is able to do them well enough to give us the same "optionality" in the offense.

He is also a better defender and a more physical player than Olynyk, which probably makes him a better fit next to Wood.

And like other posts have mentioned, he can help mentor the young Euro bigs as well. I think he is a great fit for this team.

hakeem94, DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I like Theis on this roster. We have a number of undersized bigs - Wood, Sengun, and Garuba. We need someone who can bang with guys like Jokic, and Wood struggled against them last year (which I think contributed to his injuries). Wood is best as a stretch 4 (a la Giannis), and Theis can keep him in that role. Over time I'm guessing the team hopes Sengun can take over that position, but for the time being I wouldn't be surprised to see Sengun and Garuba coming off the bench with KPJ, Green, Tate, Wood, and Theis starting.

hakeem94, DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Another 6'8 center? What not to like!

D-rock likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People keep saying GSW tanked but they did not. They literally bought in an all-star player trying to make the team better and their other two stars were not top 5 tanking picks. Green was a gem they found late in the draft and Klay was picked 11.

The issue is, you can't tank for years and years and then also turn it around because what you're saying is that none of those players were good enough to turn it around. Luka IS that dude, it's not his fault Dallas blew their load on Porzingis, that's their problem, but Dallas is still closer to winning a ring then we are, much closer. They make a big FA signing and they are right there.

Also, we did add talent around Harden...just we had no idea that we were getting Dwight right on the downside of his career...and we had CP3 and almost won so it wasn't even a failure.

Like those situations aren't because they made the playoffs too early, it's because they made bad decisions.

My point is, you either find the superstar player you want and he drags your team to the playoffs whether you like it or not or you don't and you're the Kings rolling the dice on the next big thing every year.

OR here is another scenario, you're NOP where you keep missing the playoffs and your star player goes off to play in LA. This is a scenario no one is considering that say 3 bad seasons Green may already feel like it's time to gtfo of Houston and then you're right back tanking again.

Eventually, the whole point of drafting this high is to draft a superstar that can drag your team to the playoffs...but the list of guys that do it on their rookie season? That's an extremely short list and great company...so hell yeah, I hope Green does that. You can still build your team through the draft and FA, like that's always an option...if the Warriors dynasty proved anything it's that you don't need a top 3 draft pick to win a championship.

I know most here won't agree...but people love the mystery and allure of high picks when most of these guys never become anything. I'd rather Green prove he's a once in a lifetime player over just having a top 5 pick again. Anyone can do that.

Like you say "Lets say we tanked after getting Harden."

Okay...who was in that 2013 draft?

Anthony Bennett...Oladipo...Otto Porter...Cody Zeller...Alex Len...would tanking really have helped build a better team around Harden? That's not guaranteed. I can say for sure none of these guys would have helped us win anything...maybe Porter...at that time Chandler Parsons was better than Porter. Oladipo took years to even become a fringe all-star player...the rest of them bench depth at best.

Tanking makes sense if you're halfway through the season and its clear you're not going to win but man bump the strat to tank just to tank, that's why those loser teams draft in the top 5 every year and have nothing to show for it.

jch1911, Sluball3 and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Hesitation

Hesitation Member

i like the idea of bringing in Theis. he is a modern big with good defense. thats what we need in our roster. green, porter, wood, wall are more offense guys.
    theis dont need a lot touches like olynyk. his fit is way better for the developement of our young guns.

saleem likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

DeBeards likes this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

Not a huge fan of Theis, but it might be more about fit with HOU. Now that Brad Stevens is GM, he's willing to let Theis go. hmmm *rubs chin*. This is even with Ime Udoka as Celtics' new head coach, who's reputation is defense.

Compared to Olynyk, Theis is more defense but far less offense. He's OK priced (still not super cheap). One big reason I can see is if it's a fit thing, where Wood goes back to a 4, and Theis play a 5. Theis may come off the bench even depending on Silas' PoV.

Theis does tip our team more defensively. Balance is off since Green and Sengun are a bit one sided (at least right now). Lot of the existing young core last season, gave effort but our team defense was pretty bad last year.

I'm curious though, say we keep Wall and Ego (perimeter defense). Garuba (buyout?) and Theis are here (front court defense). It gives Silas options if opponent is melting us and we need to lock them down in stretches of games.

At least FO is looking at defense which is not a bad thing.

#112 TimDuncanDonaut, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  13. Fefo

Fefo Member

ill be happy to take him at a reasonable contract, to help a bit the team and be traded later this year or next year. He is the kind of player, that at the right price looks good for winning teams.

14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

:oops:

15. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

KPJ (g)
    J Green (g)
    Tate (f)
    Wood (f)