1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Again, what is your opinion? You post random articles without putting yourself on the line. What do you think the CDC should have done and should do? You are lot like my coworkers who b**** and moan about how everything sucks without providing any solutions. It's easy to be a political Karen.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The motivation of these "censors" is they don't want to be held responsible for major outbreaks due to bad information being spread unchecked on their platforms. Facebook and Twitter would love to not have to censor people, but it became increasingly difficult for them to maintain that hands-off approach without being put under fire for the way their platforms were being used.

As for those who would hold them responsible for this, I think the motivation is mostly (3), but I wouldn't call it stupidity. It can be very difficult to discern truth when you're exposed to a ton of garbage information from close friends or family on your social media feed. The idea that "better speech" can be put forward to defeat "bad speech" is a nice principle, but social media platforms are simply not designed for such contests -- they create bubbles where people will hear only what they want to hear from people who are like-minded. And these companies don't care to fix that fundamental design flaw, because it would upend their business model. That's my problem with these companies and their products, not them choosing to control how people use their products.

#7182 durvasa, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Right. We agree. We can't have people answering questions with 'because they said so'. It IS a valid question. Questions are frequently asked in these briefings that are better asked in other settings.

Also, if a briefing is going to talk about a subject, that opens that briefing up to reasonable questions concerning that subject.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

from your description of your coworkers I'm nothing like them

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wsj editors find a thread then runs roughshod on the premise. Bit myopic but its a solution to their immediate narrative where the larger scope provides no answer (and no satisfaction for the general public).

I'm not saying they're always wrong but their cherry picking is only convincing if you don't remember whatever direction their hot wind is blowing at the time

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just read the Nyt article on the Provincetown outbreak and what was notable about that is that most of the cases were vaccinated. The vast majority of the vaccinated didn’t suffer serious disease.

If we have a mask mandate it will largely be to protect those who are unvaccinated from getting seriously ill. Yet more reason for those who refuse to get vaccinated as their actions have policy repercussions on all of us.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Cherenqueco

Cherenqueco Member

Debating these things
    Hey you're vaccinated dude, you're good to go allegedly. Why worry what other people are doing?

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because the more people that aren't vaccinated the more transmissions and the more variants.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Even vaccinated folks should care about surging covid infections since covid patients takes up hospital resources. My friend who has her father in the ICU due to cancer certainly cares that the hospital is decreasing the number of visitor from 2 per day to only 1 per day to decrease risk to and from the visitors. Now my friend, her siblings, and her mom has to choose who gets to see her dad while he's in the ICU. If I get into a car crash, I'd rather the hospital to have capacity and not filled to the brim with covid patients.

Vaccination is also not 100% protection. High prevalence of covid in the population means higher risk to me even if I am vaccinated. If there are 10x the number of covid cases around me, the risk to me is also 10x.

rocketsjudoka and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

12. Cherenqueco

Cherenqueco Member

You're reaching if you're trying to enhance your argument by quoting lincoln project.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your question about why the vaccinated care about others being vaccinated has been answered.

You worrying about the Lincoln Project is only a diversion.

No Worries and Sajan like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let It Rip
    How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Live With The Virus

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/let-it-rip-f9c

excerpt:

But the truth is: humans have no choice but to live with viruses. We always have. I’ve lived with a potentially fatal one buried in my bone marrow for almost 30 years. I still test HIV-positive. Almost certainly, I will die HIV-positive. But I will not die of HIV. And that’s ok. As long as I can prevent it wreaking havoc on my immune system, and ruining and ending my life, I’m content to live with it. We’re almost friends at this point. These viruses challenge the psyche, and the trick, it seems to me, is not to deny their power and danger, but to see past them to the real goal: the living of your life. If you are not careful, this one viral threat can crowd out all other perspectives, distort your judgment of risk, and cause you to be paralyzed by excessive caution and fear. But defeating a virus often does mean living with it. We already do this with the flu. There’s no reason we can’t do it with Covid as well.
    more at the link

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What did the tweet say that's wrong?

Sajan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Dang, he’s double vaccinated with both the J&J and Pfizer-BioNTech covid vaccines. Didn't think people actually do that.

17. NewRoxFan

Always makes me laugh when one of the trump supporters creates a new troll account.

Invisible Fan and superfob like this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I always took you as an unrepentant crop duster.

19. NewRoxFan

The voice and face of the republican party...

20. NewRoxFan

The another face and voice of the republican party...