1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter won the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 31, 2021.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

This made me remember the press conference after the 2011 draft.

The Rockets were excited about Marcus Morris and D-Mo. Dmo even had that brilliant line when asked about how he would matchup with Dwight Howard, “If he can catch me.”

Off to the side, barely saying a word, was the acne-faced, messy haired 2nd rounder - Chandler Parsons.

That season, Morris spent the whole season in the D-League after going into McHale’s doghouse. DMo opted to remain in Europe. It was Parsons that quickly gained favor with the coaches, became the everyday starter when we traded Battier, took the challenge to guard the opposing team’ best player (even getting a compliment from Kobe) and became the Rockets’ future at SF.

The likelihood of Christopher outshining Green in nil but sometimes you never know.

#41 RocketsJumer, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Easy, burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  2. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Whoops. Trying to make an edit lol

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What if you have no hair @CCorn

does it really matter if you can play the game?

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it does but only if you also have fancy suits

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Provide evidence that anyone on the roster is currently a franchise player

We are rolling the dice on a bunch of maybes to see if they pan out. I am 100% OK with that. To me someone becomes a franchise player when they have a franchise player season.

burlesk and Adiano-Malko like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm warming up to the tactic but need to see results on the court.

The mind reading should be much better.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Including Green?

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sure, the potential is there and there's a high chance he gets there, but he ain't there.

If I'm a coach or GM I'm giving these kids whatever they need to get there but I'm not calling them a franchise player before they are.

Harden quickly showed us he was franchise material in year 1. He wasn't a franchise player at OKC though. He grew into those shoes and took advantage of his opportunity.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

I refuse to make bald jokes today. Tag @LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a valid point, it's possible none of them are, but KPJ and Wood showed a lot of potential to be that caliber of player.

11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

C'mon man, the 2nd pick for the worst team in the league is pretty much franchise player by default. Whether he lives up to that role, only time will tell...but It's only right to put those expectations on him.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Making those kinds of expectations is just setting him up for failure. He's shown nothing to suggest he's anywhere near that caliber of player so far.

13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Dude, he was convinced he should be in Detroit right now, so that's the sort of confidence a franchise player needs. I recall Harden saying he's the best player in the world long before he was an MVP. That sort of swag is practically a prerequisite for greatness, Green has that, now it is time to go to work and become a great player.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not interested in false confidence. Green was nothing special in the G league in February, he has a REALLY long way to go before he's even a quality NBA player let alone a great player. He'd be doing amazing if he ends up the 3rd best player on the Rockets this year.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

agree with @napalm06 …prove you’re a legit franchise player 1st before u start getting called one

there’s a difference between being a franchise player, and just being the best player for the franchise you’re playing with

ElDobleK, Red.Glare and D-rock like this.
  16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You two are the next great bosom buddies

17. Adiano-Malko

Adiano-Malko Member

RED mocha Frappuccinossss

18. Adiano-Malko

Adiano-Malko Member

You living under D-rock or something?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Green is the cornerstone. The rest of the guys are role players or players that complete the team. We lost some guys, we added some guys. We’ll be fine. ;)

Dwight (Howard) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets,” said Harden. “The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We’ve lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we’ll be fine next season.”

ElDobleK, Caesar, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  20. Adiano-Malko

Adiano-Malko Member

Age 23/24 for the reigning six man of the year..let’s wait and see how everyone finds their niche and puts in the work