1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This should be our Next Move!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jul 30, 2021.

1. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Hopefully NY Knicks panic and trade for John Wall..... I could definitely see Philly, Lakers or GSW trading for Eric Gordon. Maybe send D House to a team like Brooklyn.

luckyman76 and Trackwell like this.
  2. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I really respect your opinion for the most part you have a great takes

3. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I also respect your opinion

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

No he won’t have more value down the road- He will have less value because he has a plus contract right now

His next contract is going to be a negative contract

5. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I went back and reviewed some of the stuff you write

You might have autism

6. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Thank you great take

7. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I’m not exactly sure what your point is

8. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I agree you don’t just trade players to be bad
    But that’s not the only perk of a trade here

If we trade him before the season starts we should be able to get an unprotected first next year Depending on the team and something else as well

The fastest way to a championship is not with Christian wood and the play in tournament

It’s adding a player on our team or two that are transcendent talents - And the highest percentage for us to obtain these players is at the top of the draft

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any team playing 3-4 19 year olds (plus two 21 year olds) won’t need help tanking. Them even sniffing the play in would be so counter to NBA history and logic. Even if you want to trade Wood now is not the time because he has injury questions. You play him this year and hope he plays enough games to raise his stock (if you want to trade him).

The only team I can think of to do well and make the playoffs with youth was the 97-98 Cavs who started 4 rookies. But those guys were 22 and 23, Ilgauskas had been with the team the year before but didn’t play due to injury, they were actually led by vets Shawn Kemp and Wesley Person, and they played in a weak East.

Trackwell likes this.
  10. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

I'd rather keep Wood and wait and see how much he improves then when the time comes, package him for a top pick

Trackwell likes this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Likewise

There is no exact science to team building and no sure
    things as far as prospects go.

I prefer training up Porter/Green with Wood/Tate/Kenyon/Khyri Thomas/
    Garuba/Sengun/Josh Christopher

If things show promise; Wood will re-up with the Rockets and free agents
    will also wish to play in Houston as: Wood/Jalen Green/Porter will set up
    Kenyon/Tate/Thomas and free agents nicely. Wall/Gordon come off the
    books by then.

The additional future draft picks are icing on the cake or used to move up
    in the draft. I know in theory everyone thinks they can trade the #1 pick
    for multiple first round picks......flipping 1 for 2 or 3; but then there are the
    #1 pick Fultz traded for later 1st rd pick . That's an epic fail and waste of year
    tanking deliberately.

Trackwell likes this.
  12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Brooklyn doesn't win the championship by getting stopped by the Bucks or Lakers for example they break up making our draft picks even better.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Brooklyn is an example of how teams are winning nowadays.

None of Durant/Harden/Kyrie were drafted by the Nets
    None of AD and LeBron were drafted by the Lakers
    Warriors brought in Harrison Barnes, Iggy, Bogut then Durant
    Bucks brought Tucker, Bobby Portis and Holiday

Not all top notch draft picks stay with their original team that drafted them.
    In fact many move on.

14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The draft next year is bad you might have 10 to 12 players who will be good, but next year draft is the same as last year draft.....not very good. This present draft was one of the best draft, I would say it was the 5th best draft ever. We have at least two draft picks next year and i'm fine with that but we need to win this year with these veterans and rookies. We have a good team and our goals needs to be player development and sign a big man to block shots. Green, Porter, Wood, Garuba and Sengun is enough young talent for now to get in the playoffs. With the help of Gordon, Augustin and Wall we should be fine. I believe we have a better team this year than OKC, Spurs, Pelicans and we can play with Grizzles and Mavericks. This is our division opponents and they do not scare me. This organization needs to WIN and not what we did last year....that was hurtful.

15. DonatelloLimestone

I want Chet too
    I think our best bet is to trade Wood next summer then. WE can't guess where teams will be, once the lottery is done our pick, or stable of picks along with a cheap wood and whoever else would be more enticing possibly to whoever holds the 1/2 picks.
    Would not trade wood now
    Wood is a good Vet and lesson for them
    Hes floated around, he knows what it feels like to have nba talent and then slip it away. he also made the most of his '2nd' chance and now he has seemed to cross the line into focusing on growth and improvement. I want that mentality for all of em, KPJ is wathcing too.

I get what you're saying, we need vets. They will shape how the young guys develop too. Then next summer, I'm down with relaly trading the picks or assets and getting to no 1 so we et our cornerstone to build forward on.

Trackwell likes this.
  16. Rockets4Life13

My point is that you can’t develop 10 stars simultaneously. Even if there are actually 6-7 superstar potential players on the roster, you can develop 2 or 3 at max.

there’s a reason why teams that tank forever will never achieve anything while their stars move on in their first free agency.

get talent, develop it, while you develop it you pick up more talent. And then you make moves to get better while you stop tanking.

tanking for more than 2 or maximum 3 years leads right into the realm of the Twolves and the Kings.

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I would keep everyone on the rooster and just sign Serge Ibaka

He is expecting to sign for 8-10 millions a year but i would pay him 16 -18 millions a year. He would give us toughness, shot blocking, 3 point shooting and leadership for the young guys. We need Serge Ibaka!!!!

Playoffs and the young kids would grow at the same time.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Mostly my response was sarcasm ..... hence the Bill Hicks video.

I just don't think you get rid of good players just to lose more..... especially when you were the worst team in the league by 5 games with that guy last year.

Green , Sengun and Garuba aren't going to come in and be finished products and change the bottom line by more than a few games in year one.

The Rockets will do well to improve their record , barring a trade adding a true established superstar by more than 5-7 games. That's a huge jump in win percentage year over year.

These dudes are 19 year old kids coming in playing against grown ass men.

My expectations for next year - With Wood & Wall is about 24 to 26 wins and an early lotto pick as a result.

luckyman76 and Trackwell like this.
  19. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

You really love some Serge huh?

20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He will have more value as an expiring because of his plus contract. He will be somebody else’s problem on the next one.

Trackwell likes this.