1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Giants

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 30, 2021.

1. conquistador#11

lol at Raley warming up. sigh

Stephen66 likes this.
  2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

3. RussE

RussE Member

Giants foul off a lot of pitches.

K’d his ass.

4. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

There you go Maton!

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

WOW!

DreamShook likes this.
  6. HookemHorns1250

Way to battle there!

DreamShook likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

wow. nice!

J.R. likes this.
  8. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Got eeem

J.R. likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Welcome to the Astros, Mr. Maton.

Don't ever do that sh@t again.

Stephen66 and Nick like this.
  10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Imagine he walks in a run there. and then you Dusty puts in Raley in a bases loaded situation. Jesus christ.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Takes him 3.5 hours to warm up. He’s been warming up since early this morning.

(I know I’m exaggerating… but honestly, if it takes him that long to warm up, and the plan is he should be pitching the next inning, why isn’t he already getting loose?)

Bregatron likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

Killer outing by MATON.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Maton has really, really sharp stuff, but man he is all over the place.

Maybe Strom can get in there and help him refine something.

Buck Turgidson and cmlmel77 like this.
  14. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

the guy who struck out the side? Yes, we did.

he was wild, but the stuff is definitely there. I’m willing to bet he has a damn productive few years here.

or you get more Stanek and Raley.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Maton had to pitch around a bullshit HBP call. Kudos kid. He looks about 16.

16. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Wow Matton! Balls of steel! And Raley needs to sit his sorry ass down!!

17. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Lives up to his billing.

18. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

How the **** did Raley survive the trade deadline?

everyday eddie likes this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

MLB's new Trade Deadline rules explained
    MLB's new Trade Deadline rules explained

July 15th, 2021
    [​IMG]
    Anthony Castrovince

@castrovince
    [​IMG]
    The term “deadline” implies a certain sense of finality, a defining line that can’t be crossed.

But for decades, baseball’s Trade Deadline wasn’t exactly a deadline. After it passed, there was still ample opportunity for clubs to improve their rosters with external additions in the trade market. (Remember when Dallas Keuchel publicly complained about the 2017 Astros’ quiet July 31 Deadline activity, and they wound up landing Justin Verlander a month later?)

That all changed in 2019 (something you may have forgotten because of the pandemic-shortened 2020 season). There is now one, true Trade Deadline.

Because the elimination of the August waiver trade period might be as difficult for some fans to grasp as the mere existence of the August waiver trading period was difficult for other fans to grasp -- and because the strange 2020 season and its Aug. 31 Trade Deadline was difficult for everybody to grasp -- here’s a handy FAQ that should help all fans understand what the true Trade Deadline entails.

When is the Trade Deadline?

The Deadline for 2021 is at 4 p.m. ET on July 30.

Why not July 31?

With July 31 falling on a Saturday that includes several day games this season, the Trade Deadline was moved up one day. But most years, it will be July 31.

What is the meaning of a “true” Trade Deadline?

The Trade Deadline is, indeed, a deadline. No players will change hands via trade after that date.

How is this different from years prior to 2019?

Prior to 2019, a player could be traded after the July Trade Deadline under one of two conditions.

1. He first cleared revocable trade waivers.
    1. Or if the club claiming the player on waivers worked out a trade with the team that placed the player on waivers.
    As long as players were acquired by Aug. 31, they were eligible to play for their new clubs in the postseason.

The August waiver period had a profound impact on playoff races over the years. The Blue Jays acquired David Cone from the Mets after he cleared waivers in 1992, and he helped pitch them to their first World Series title. In 2004, the Cardinals worked out a trade for Larry Walker, who had cleared waivers, and he helped them reach the Fall Classic. And the Astros’ acquisition of Verlander after he cleared waivers was the turning point in their bid for their first World Series championship.

Even beyond what it meant to various playoff races, the August trade period had a big effect on baseball history, such as John Smoltz going from Detroit to Atlanta, Jeff Bagwell going from Boston to Houston, Jose Bautista going from Pittsburgh to Toronto and the Dodgers and Red Sox working out a 2012 deal in which more than a quarter of a billion dollars’ worth of contracts -- including those of Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, and Adrian Gonzalez -- changed hands.

So can players still be placed on waivers after July 31?

Yes, players can still be placed on outright waivers and claimed by other clubs, but it has to be a straight waiver claim, meaning the new team takes on the player’s remaining contract and no other players are involved.

Sometimes veteran players on costly contracts are placed on waivers in the hope of shedding salary, so it’s possible you might see some high-priced players switch teams on waivers this August for that reason alone.

Are players acquired via waivers after July 30 still eligible for postseason rosters?

Yes. But the Aug. 31 postseason roster deadline still applies. If you are not in the organization before September, you cannot appear in the postseason for them.

<<<So I was wrong about Trades, but not about players changing teams via outright waivers. The change at the July trade deadline eliminated not just the second date in August, but also non-revocable which in turn essentially eliminates working out a trade requiring a player to pass through waivers up to the team the trade was being made to. So no TRADE. I was wrong on that point. I was also wrong that if you pick up a player off the waiver outright waiver wire, they can be eligible for the post season roster up until the post season Roster deadline.>>>

This is the first time I've seen the particulars and it's not in the MLBPA Master Agreement.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Disliked that you waited and posted after he did that