1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rumors: rockets taking interest in trading for Daniel Theis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Jul 31, 2021.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Have you seen our young guys. Kpj green and wood want playoffs

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Theis
    Wood
    Martin
    Green
    Porter

Denovo and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Nice I love it

DeBeards likes this.
  4. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

He is literally 10 years older than our best player

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Martin shouldn’t start over Tate…

Y’all overrated Martin on this board

DeBeards likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good! I think he would be a solid addition. I could see a 3 year deal with 2 years guaranteed. That keeps the books clean for 2023.

Hesitation likes this.
  7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't think people understand just throwing an entire all-rookie team with no vet leadership and you end up with a toxic loser culture like Sacramento, Minnesota. We need these guys to experience what a winning team + winning culture is like.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Neither of our 2 best players are 19. One is 25 the other is 21.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what do u think chances are re-signing olynkyk, or at least getting something back for him in a sign&trade?

10. DonatelloLimestone

HE was great for us. Loved his presence and silas bought the best out in him
    can we at least do a sign and trade? otherwise that oladipo trade goes down in the gutter even worse.

11. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Just looked up info on Theiss.
    Didn't know he was German.
    Also didn't know he was 6'8''! (grrr...)(Daryl, you still here?)

Even though he's 29 I think he can be very good for "Alpie".
    I know he's mainly a defender but he's a banger like Alpie so their games are similar in that regard.

I think he might be a good mentor for Sengun as well as a tutor.
    They both have the "Euro" thing in common, so he will be able to help AS adjust to the culture here in America, as well as how to fit in with the league, what he can/can't do or get away with on the court.
    Also how to fit in with the NBA culture in general.

I think this could be a good signing for a number of reasons and might have been/be done for aiding Alperen's development as well as contributing to winning on the court.

Now if we can just get some mentors for JG and JC! (Wall don't count!)

12. DonatelloLimestone

Ask yourself before trade proposals, why would the other team do this?

That will answer most of your wall trade suggestions. A guy whose being paid top 6, next to lebron, has played 40 games in 3 seasons and done so inefficiently and is only older and another year of his contract.

Capela, on the other hand is over playing his contract, younger, no drama, incredibly productive. Even if they don't need the position, why would they take on wall?

Zion's more realistic...;)

But getting vets is good for the youngn's. You ever been 19 before? Or seen any of the greats even today at 19? You usually don't have it all figured out and refined let alone there are professional ins and outs and habits for the marathon of an nba season to learn. Hopefully green and the turk are accelerated since they played in a pro league, but you still need nba vets to show them how its done and how to handle and prepare. That goes for coaching staff AND guys on the court going to battle with em. Set the culture, bring in the vets. bring in vets who 'know' so we don't have to worry about playing time if it comes to that. Avery bradly said the right things and we have his team option, go figure.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, that might not happen, I never said it would...but for people expecting Olynyk to come back think about it like this...

You have Sengun...you have Garuba...we're really paying Olynyk to fill a role for one season ideally. I imagine he's going to get better long term offers than that. I would not expect him back.

Listening to Stone though it sounds like the intention is for these guys to play ASAP.

I think Green starts day 1. Wall will be moved hopefully before the seasno or they will tell him they will work on a trade and he'll sit out until the deadline and if no trade happens he'll accept a buyout. I really can't see a scenario where Green is coming off the bench and nor should there be. He needs to be developing chemistry with KPJ and Wood and hopefully Sengun as well.

The one thing the Warriors got when they drafted their star players was for them to develop that chemistry together and now is about as good a time as any. No reason to put it off a season later.

roslolian likes this.
  14. AXG

AXG Member

He's basically another Birdman, not bad but not really worth the money for a rebuilding team

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Regardless of what we might think about tanking for next year’s draft (when we actually have our own pick - a shocker!) and playing the youngsters heavy minutes (I think some of them will anyway, either in Houston or the Valley), I think you’re right. I’m guessing that Olynyk, assuming the story has legs, is going to want more than we would be paying for Theis, who fills a role, although a different one than Kelly. Still, I hope we end up keeping Olynyk.

DeBeards, roslolian and JayGoogle like this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I would like to keep Kelly but yeah, I think he's had a good enough 2nd half of the year that someone will overpay him and since we drafted two good big prospects we really aren't going to be giving him a deal longer than 2 years.

I hope we make the playoffs, even if it is through the play-in tourney. If we make the playoffs (Which I know is unlikely so no one quote me saying we will) means that Green is a phenomenal player and that all of our moves paid off and that we are way ahead of schedule.

Making the playoffs means our core is already established. Maybe that means Wood continues to get better and KPJ too and they carry the team...or maybe it means that Green really is a generational player that can lead his team to the playoffs year 1.

DeBeards likes this.
  17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

There’s a financial hurdle to getting Garuba signed to play right away that Tilman might not want to deal with especially if Garuba isn’t playing heavy minutes.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

@D-rock points out, the buy out increases year to year so I think there is close 0 chance Tilman waits.

Stone even said he wanted him there for the summerleague, they are bringing him over based on what we know I feel.

Now he might not play. His offensive game needs work and so sending him down to the Gleague to polish his shot and a go-to move might be how most of his year goes but it sounds like the plan is to bring him over ASAP.

19. vince

vince Member

Well, teams need to be careful developing the talent, because at the elite level, confidence is so fragile. Let the confidence grow gradually, and harness the full potential of the talent the player has. Too many teams ruin the prospects confidence, and those guys falter.

I want to see the prospects succeed and prosper, but we as fans must be patient and deal with the realities of realistic timelines. MVP’s take years to develop as such, and are ever improving their arsenal from when they got into the league.

There is no urgency to go full shock treatment, patience and good things will happen.

DeBeards likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Then let them get it. Don’t bring in vets to put us in the playoffs. Facts: This is the last year we have control of our own first round pick. Wood is near all-star caliber when healthy. I don’t hear all this angst on playing Tate who is second year. KJM and KPJ seen like the real deal to me. One more year of sucking to use our pick (If necessary bundled to move up) will not permanently ruin these guys. Bringing in vets to make a run at number 8 makes no sense to me. Two year re-build, rookies get trial by fire, then Wall and Gordan gone to have two max spots available. Played right, we could not only be playoff contenders in 2023 we could be final contenders.

MultipleSauces likes this.