1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This should be our Next Move!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jul 30, 2021.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We need Banchero, but we need to work hard and break the losing culture now. Will Silas and the players step up to the plate?

Trackwell and ApacheWarrior like this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Now that Rockets have cooperated with the NBA grand scheme to get Harden and Westbrook out of Houston to NY and LA markets (two biggest markets in the business) Houston now will be rewarded from the league during this rebuild. Within the next 5-7 years we will have a championship team. We just have to wait for the old stars to move on. Let them have their Lakers vs Nets battles while we rebuild and get stronger for our promised time.

Trackwell likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I like Banchero, but the odds are like Cade Cunningham 14%.....and we know how that
    worked out. Add another 14% for those who like Chet (28% chance).

Not worth tanking again, IMHO

Not when Green wants to get rookie of the year and is ultra competitive, Porter wants
    to show he is more than a one hit wonder (50 spot one night), Tate/KMjr want to shine,
    Sengun/Garuba don't want to hold back, Wall/EGordon want to build up their trade value,
    Wood wants to be an All Star and Silas wants to keep his job.

Too much is working against tanking and the odds of getting Banchero are relatively
    low at 14%. 86% chance says you don't get Banchero

4. Rockets4Life13

Yep because we all know there are a million examples of championship teams with an average age of 23, with 6 25+ppg scorers that made an all star team

5. JD88

JD88 Member

When was the last team you can think of that contended for a title with zero contributing players over the age of 25?

This isn't 2k.

6. saleem

I totally agree with all what you have written. We have to break the losing habits quickly.

FLASH21 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

I’m not trying to contend right now that’s the
    Difference

You guys are acting like it’s hard to put veterans around young stars... it’s not

saleem likes this.
  8. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Dude you don’t even know who the youngsters are that are coming out, Over the next year’s-

His ceiling is not that high- Do you think Wood is about to make the All-Star team? Lol

9. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Well it’s a 28% to get one of those two - and you have another 28 for the next two picks

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Agreed.

I wanted the tank last year because it was worth Cade/Green because and we had nothing.

I needed incentive for Wood to stay with extension. Then Porter showed flashes of greatness. 50 point game, compliments
    from fellow NBA stars. That will carry him
    to want to act right and do right.

So now the Rockets have their budding
    Super Stars in Porter, Wood, Green with
    what appears to be there good role players
    in Tate, Kenyon and Khyri Thomas.

Will Porter, Green, Wood be the 3 Mega
    Super Stars like Kyrie, Durant or Harden?
    Nobody knows? But Noel, Fultz, Okafor,
    Embiid, Ben Simmons haven't won the 76ers
    a championship either.

Rockets are going all in on offense though.
    Which reminds me of the Nets. Get the ball
    in the hole and make the other team inbound
    often. Let our offense be our best defense.

Now if we try to win and stink. Then that's
    another thing. But trying to lose without
    trying to win first.....breeds perpetual losing.
    Just my opinion

Trackwell, onreego and saleem like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well
    #1-14 percent
    #2- 14 percent
    #3- 14 percent
    #4- 11 percent

But I know what you are talking about.
    But you are hoping that the next draft
    is better than this one.

Outside of Green/Cade I wasnt tthrilled with
    my other options. Next season it will be?
    Banchero, Chet....then?

Is it worth stunting the growth of Green/Porterby intentionally tanking?

Trackwell and saleem like this.
  12. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

How was it stunning their growth I want them to play for 38 minutes a game

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. saleem

Excellent physical conditioning and stamina can make a huge difference. Having a second wind is of extreme importance for everyone.
    The Rockets trainers really need to work hard on that.
    @ApacheWarrior

Trackwell likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What If you whiff on those?

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

It’s possible that we miss on all these guys, and it is also possible that they are not as good as you want them to be.

What’s the plan after that?

It ain’t NBA2K.

16. sydmill

sydmill Member

It was the fact that the Rockets' pick conveyed outside of the top 4 that made intentionally tanking necessary last season. Now that they control their pick that isn't the consideration that it was. The Rockets talent acquisition phase HAS to end by 2024 when their picks begin to convey to OKC. But I think they are on pace to begin competing sooner than that.

Between Green, Sengun, Garuba, Christopher, Martin, & Porter the Rockets have half a roster 21 and under. Wood, Tate & Thomas are not going to drag such a young team (the youngest in the L?) to the playoffs (or even .500). Wall & Gordon, if they're still here, aren't either. The Rockets are going to have a top 10 pick (their own) and a mid first (from Miami) next season in addition to, hopefully, some seconds they get for House & DJ Augustin. Then they have two more first in 2023. Draft capital isn't a concern for me.

I think, near term, the Rockets will return to the playoffs in the 22/23 season with Wood as the guy that the team is built around. I think from there the Rockets continue to contend with teams built more around KPJ, Green and the young guys with Wood being more of a complimentary player. It's possible Wood ends up needing to be moved based on cap considerations but that is at least a season away IMHO.

red5rocket and Trackwell like this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

38 minutes a game....wow. That's kinda a lofty projection.

Most rookies hit the rookie wall at around 26 games. We saw Sam Dekker shooting
    decent from 3-pt land in his first full season (played in 2 games his rookie year)
    at 40% from 3 in his first 26 games; but then 30% on his final 52 games of the season.

I'm saying, by asking them not to win you may be stunting their growth.

I know, I understand, the Rockets are fresh off of winning the lottery by getting
    Jalen Green and think they can do it every season. What if the main target of
    your desire tears an ACL before the draft? Did you stick with the Rockets this
    entire time as the Rockets looked like they were losing n purpose?
    It was rough man! And this was a shortened season. Next season is
    projected to be back at 82 games. And you want the Rockets to deliberately
    miss the play-in as well.

I think some of us are high on life right now.....walking a little too close to
    the edge of the cliff. Reality sets in when you go splat. End up with Fultz or
    Nerlens Noel as they were rookies.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We don’t have to deliberately lose. Wall, KPJ, Wood, Tate, KJM with a bench of Green, Gordan, Garuda, Seguin and more have a chance to be competitive for the 8th spot. Injuries and then slow rolling their comebacks is how we deliberately lost last year. Just don’t see the point to bringing in veterans that will demand minutes to try and eek into the playoffs. If our guys are so weak mentally that they can’t stand one more losing season, then we don’t have the right guys. Two year rebuild is what we are after and compete in 23 when we will have 2 max slots available. Show off the youngsters and the vets will come in 2023 to something special.

sydmill likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

In all my years on CF, probably the most absurd post I have seen.

red5rocket and ApacheWarrior like this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That sounds different from what is being discussed. I believe what was being discussed is deliberately losing to be top 5 worse records.