1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Giants

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

Frank DiPino, Astro Legend

Oh dude, if you want to get really weird...

Charlie Kerfeld
    Dave Smith
    Larry Anderson
    Who were the others?
    The ConeHeads in the '86 Bullpen

#421 Buck Turgidson, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    mikol13 likes this.
  2. Stros66

Stros66 Member

3. Buck Turgidson

And the D'Backs win, and ###### the Dodgers

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

5. Houston_Rockets

People in other places talking about that error by Tucker, saying that would not have happened if Straw was there to make a point about the trade are completely clueless. The fact that Stanek could not pitch any of his breaking stuff close to the zone, and guys where literally sitting on the meatball heaters, before and after the mistake, is why a guy like Phil Maton is an important upgrade for us. He can actually pitch and is not just a flamethrower with no control whatsoever. Batters are too talented in this league to have a guy just throwing FBs down the middle because you cant locate anything. This guy was your setup man a couple days ago, he is unplayable IMO in a playoff situation, regardless of inning.

Can´t wait for Meyers to shut this nonsense up and start hitting bombs.

Having said that, Graveman good, unhittable stuff out there.

#425 Houston_Rockets, Jul 31, 2021
  6. Buck Turgidson

7. Houston_Rockets

Don´t understand the question, should I assume that the guy who only has limited reps at CF is clearly the only option for Dusty, to the point where Meyers , the guy killing AAA and playing good CF every day, will only have backup defensive reps?

Seams not smart. If I had to guess, McCormick will be 1st option at first, with Meyers getting legitimate opportunities because he will be the best defensive option, something an old school guy like Dusty will value. Whoever then is playing better will get the edge come playoff time, no bias whatsoever, but implying that he will only be a defensive option, seams to be a close minded stance when you don´t even know how will his bat translate to the majors IMO.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

That 86 run was fun. Thought for sure it was our year.

Danny ( Dr. Death) Darwin comes to mind for me in the bully.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Excellent.....get him warmed up for the contract extension we gonna drop on him.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It should be appreciated that our core group has been in at least the AL championship series 4 years in a row and counting. They just expect to be great.

H-Town Info and STR8Thugg like this.
  11. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Wait, did Skynyrd get sent down? I had high hopes for that guy.

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Well the CF defense nonsense showed up immediately. Straw catches that no problem.

Terrific game though. It's still stressful, bc the SEA blown lead was so recent. Graveman looked absolutely unhittable. That 2 seamer is the nastiest freaking pitch I've seen to lefties this year.

Altuve needs a statue at MMP while he's still playing. It's ridiculous.

13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Then why has he not been good this year or ever in his career? I don't care about his spin rate. He isn't good at preventing runners from scoring. Period.

If you are arguing that the Brent Strom car wash and our development team will get more out of him, then that's an entirely different deal, but up to this point he has not shown that he is a reliable reliever at all.

Those of us who hate the trade don't think Myles Straw is a cornerstone piece, but he is certainly more valuable than the immediate return we received (obviously we also brought back a Diaz, he seems extremely promising). It just doesn't seem like a type of trade the Astros would be looking at considering our goals this season.

Stephen66 likes this.
  14. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

I love it when opposing fans boo Altuve. You'd think they would have learned by now.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

It's a good trade because Straw gets playing time over people who are better than he is. Now that's not going to be a problem anymore.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's been the 2nd worst at allowing runs relative to FIP for relievers over the past 5 seasons. While I expect some regression, I doubt it is purely random.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Just looking at the roster construction as is, 2 guys have to get sent down/out to activate Meyers and Maton.

I'm sure fans aren't happy to hear it, but Raley has a clearly defined role so he's probably staying. That leaves some combination of Stanek, Bielak, Abreu or Taylor. Montero has another year of team control, and I'm not sure if the Astros wanted him or were forced to take him, if it's the latter then he's an easy cut.

They'll probably just play musical chairs with the team controlled guys until September.

#437 sealclubber1016, Jul 31, 2021
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Rosters only expand to 28 in September

raining threes likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would think Bielak is a lock to be sent down. It would surprise me if they cut Montero before giving him a shot. He has no options left. So it would need to be Stanek, Abreu, or Taylor going down. They could play musical chairs and manipulate some service time for several guys.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's still more than 26, no need to lose any arms you may want until you are forced to.