1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

So how is he any different than Straw?

2. Buck Turgidson

No? How?

3. Buck Turgidson

Oh I'm all about a minor league swap...I just hope the relief pitcher is good.

Like I said earlier, Chas vs Straw is not that much of a difference with glove or bat. Meyers vs Chas as a backup (late inning defensive replacement) may be a difference. Meyers' glove is allegedly all-world so we'll see...Chas's bat has been very timely so far.

I just hate the idea of playing people out of position on defense just to get a little bump in offense that you don't even need.

But that's just me.

4. Radricky

Radricky Member

I just can't understand this move.
    We went into the last off-season losing springer and not having an established center fielder.
    So let's give straw a chance to see what he can do.
    What did they really expect of him?
    I'm not upset they traded straw.
    It's that they replaced an unproven center fielder with even more unproven center fielders.
    Why not address it in the last off season?
    Do we really want rookies taking crucial at bats in the post season?
    Remember tucker swinging at fastballs over his head in the 2019 post season?
    I'm just worried someone will misplay a ball or not get the right jump in a crucial moment.
    I'll gladly eat crow if we win the world series though.

5. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

This is why trading a player while their stock is high is so tough.

We are collectively upset that we traded away Myles Straw, a guy that most of us wanted benched/demoted/cut a month into the season. I was actually a bigger believer in him, and wanted to give him more time. I am happy that he got a little more comfortable, and played better.

At the same time, I am glad that he increased his trade value, and the front office was able to make a trade that they were happy with. We had ZERO pressure to do this trade, in fact, they had reasons NOT to do it. But the fact that they pulled the trigger, tells me they had the leverage, and they happily did this trade. Doesn't mean it will work out, but it is a move they wanted to make, so they made it.

Let's hope for the best. I thought Austin Pruitt was going to be a sleepy-good pick. Let's hope Maton turns out to be more Pressly than Pruitt!

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I Love This.

Bring It.

7. Buck Turgidson

Click just said lots of good things about the trades, and especially about Chas/Straw/New Guy. Look it up and post it if yall can find it.

8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

McCormick has fantastic production for a guy with only 154 AB’s. I’m fine in believing Astros upgraded the starting lineup internally. Meyers is having a great year and I’m fine seeing what he does.

Astros got a promising 22 year old catcher who’s looking good and maybe someone for Strom as a reclamation process. If not someone else to get the Astros to the playoffs.

raining threes likes this.
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

Put the giants in a coffin

everyday eddie likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

https://i.gifer.com/4Dzi.gif

#1730 Hemingway, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  11. raining threes

Tucker in CF tonight.

12. HTXSportsAddict

Maton can get strikeouts and has really good peripherals along with elite spin rates. They probably think he can be a legit weapon.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They must feel that all his issues are things Strom can easily solve. That is why Strom is the real untouchable.

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Better than Straw.

looks like the lineup of Tucker in CF last night worked huh?

15. Buck Turgidson

Outside of the shItty defense, sure.

However, Baker said Friday’s alignment, which had Yordan Alvarez in left and Michael Brantley out of position in right, was designed only to keep both Alvarez and Brantley’s bats in the lineup in a game played with NL rules. Baker said he planned to do it even before Straw was traded. It’s not expected to be a regular configuration.

“Tucker’s such a good right fielder that I don’t think that we want to mess with a good thing,” Click said. “I think this falls under ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.'”

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...r-rhp-phil-maton.312486/page-10#post-13652088

mikol13 likes this.
  16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Great.

It’s an NL matchup, this isn’t going to be the norm but it’s a necessary move to get Yordan in LF… don’t want to bench Brantley as well…

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tucker would probably be fine in CF with enough reps. But he is a tremendous RF.

If they're fortunate enough to get to the WS, they may have to consider going to this again to ensure all 3 get as many AB's as possible.

18. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I see this as the typical NL lineup. With McCormick in CF in the AL.

19. Elienator

Elienator Member

I know Straw doesn’t strike out a lot, but he’s still a career .260 singles hitter. He’s not bad, but he’s not exactly the next Ichiro. Best case he’s a league average centerfielder and wasn’t the long term plan at centerfield.

I think this trade is more about the next few years, but the Astros are really no worse off at centerfield this season and improved the bullpen further. Maton isn’t a rental and they got a prospect at a position they’ve had a lot of trouble developing. It’s not an amazing trade, but I like the approach of always looking to improve.

HTXSportsAddict and awc713 like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly. The only way the Astros somehow lose is if at 26 years old, Straw figures out how to become Kenny Lofton+ Ichiro and ends up batting leadoff for the next 10 years.

Its a low risk-high reward move. I was perturbed by the timing and fully expected there to be another trade. Maybe it fell through and the plan b was at least Dusty won't be able to bat him as much.