1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade Myles Straw to Indians for RHP Phil Maton

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Chas has virtually the same speed. And from 2017-2019, not sure you could count the true “speedsters” those teams had. Altuve was the closest.

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. Milos

Milos Member

This reeks of Click knowing a vet is gonna be bought out in time to be added to 40-man for playoff eligibility

Not sure when that deadline is, or whom that player might be ... just a hunch

Maybe Cubs go all-in, buyout Heyward?

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I'm not worried about the Dusty-Click dynamic. I think straw has a lot of value for this year's team. If the guy we traded for turns into Harris or Presley, of course its a great deal. But the odds are against that.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

[QUOTE="T for 3, post: 13651207, member: 50581"I think straw has a lot of value for this year's team. If the guy we traded for turns into Harris or Presley, of course its a great deal. But the odds are against that.[/QUOTE]
    Can you objectively quantify that value?

Like many around here, Straw’s abysmal start was just that… everybody acknowledges he made improvement, but was it necessarily good enough to get the playing time he was getting. His improvement possibly jaded many to think he was killing it, his numbers still ended up trending back to bad.

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

2 of 4 months this year he was above replacement level at the plate, and defensively he was trending upwards. Seems like a weird guy to trade straight up for a random reliever. What numbers justify the trade on Maton's side?

HatsForBats, The Beard and Nick like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Houston is likely to technically “lose” this trade in the end, just as they will the Graveman trade. Straw projects to put up ~8 war in his remaining control, where Maton projects for ~2, and at this point Diaz can’t be counted on to reach the majors, much less be productive there (although Diaz is a very interesting prospect). So Houston’s probably going to come out with ~$40M less in value from the trade than the Indians will. But that ignores the Meyers/McCormick factor, and the fact that flags fly forever. I am higher on this trade than I am the Graveman trade, although this was technically a worse move based on value projections (the Toro trade projects for Houston to come out ~$20M less than Seattle on that deal).

vince likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doesn’t matter if you’re abysmal the other 2 months… including the last one. That and his improved defense didn’t really justify him getting the most starts of anybody else on this team. Rather than just really force Dusty to bench him more, Click did this and got something out of his 2 above replacement months.

Maton has had 61K’s in 41 innings… and given their track record (mainly Strom), would you really question their eye for pitching? They also saw him 3 times over the last month so had a little bit more than just stats to look at.

everyday eddie and vince like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Toro wasn’t going to be an everyday player here with Bregman/Diaz/Yuli.

everyday eddie and vince like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I thought that Toro could’ve been a supersub next season (being the primary backup at 3B, 2B, 1B, LF, and DH) then possibly take over for Gurriel or Brantley the following season.

One interesting thing is that while Toro projects as a decent player, Robel Garcia projects to be very near to him in value.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They still have Diaz next year, correct?

Toro probably will be a utility type for his career… which is fine. But those players are typically replaceable.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yep I agree. This is where I miss Hinch. To me Hinch had a real feel for the team. He understood (for the most part) when and where to use his guys, and put them in position to succeed.

I like Dusty, but most of the time I feel like he just doesn’t quite share the pulse of this team.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

2019 Game 7 would disagree with you...

Hank McDowell and Mr.Scarface like this.
  13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Should have kept Grienke in or brought in Cole with the lead

HTXSportsAddict, rockbox and RKREBORN like this.
  14. mikol13

Supporting Member

I said for the most part. It’s easy to pick one moment, big ass moment though.

I still stand firm on my statement. Dusty is an old school guy and manages that way. I felt like Hinch was good at following the data and going off feel as well.

2019 will haunt me forever, but he was still the manger in 2017. I can’t recall Dusty ever winning a World Series as manager. Can you?

15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I believe one the the main reasons why Cole didn't give any thought into resigning here.

16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

It's not too hard to be a better manager than Dusty at this point...but to call Hinch one of the greats is a huge misconception. Lunhow on the other hand...

BMoney likes this.
  17. mikol13

Supporting Member

Disagree. If you remember Astro’s players all year talked about Cole leaving. Most guessed west coast. Everyone knows Cole’s love for the Yankees since he was a boy. Plus the money was too much to pass up

18. mikol13

Supporting Member

Who said anything about being one of the greats? I just feel like he was better for this team.

Still, it is what it is. Old news.

I just want the team to win.

RKREBORN likes this.
  19. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

well, at this point, does anyone wish we had Cole on a huge, long term contract (even one lower than what NYY gave)

mikol13 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.