1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BimaThug] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2021 Post-Draft Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 30, 2021.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Thank you!

ROCK3TM4N and D-rock like this.
  3. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

So nice to see this again ... thanks for breaking it all down, @BimaThug.

The Draft was awesome. It feels like free agency is just a nothing burger, outside of potential trades. At this point, my natural curiosity post-draft is simply wondering what happens to John Wall, Eric Gordon and Danuel House, if anything.

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent article. Thanks BT

D-rock, don grahamleone and ROCK3TM4N like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I really hope to get rid of all three. Only vets I want on this team are DJ Augustine and Kelly Olynyk. Glad to see we do have some room to spend before hitting the tax line, which hopefully means we resign Olynyk.

8. xaos

xaos Member

Thanks! Love these

Also nice job squeezing a Lull reference in there

9. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

We have to find a way to move Gordon and Wall is what it seems to boil down to.

10. vince

vince Member

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Re-sign KO and remain below the LT, Augustin/ EG/House and Wall will have to be kept . Retain all the youngsters, let Nwaba go. Exam, Wilson, Bradley, Sterling all need to go too. Retain Khyri as well. It's too bad that Armani will probably be playing somewhere else on a guaranteed contract which he deserves. There is no need to sign any other FA.

ArtV and jcmoon like this.
  12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Thanks @BimaThug!!

I’m a diehard fan who dies-fast when discussing the salary cap. There are so many moving parts in a salary cap that even after reading your articles I still don’t know whether we are coming or going! o_O

Regardless it’s good to know that we have members (like yourself) that try to educate us plebeians (mainly myself) of the financial state of our team!

Thanks and keep up the good work!!

Clutchfans it’s Fantastic!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

roslolian, D-rock, saleem and 3 others like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A simply amazing job breaking it all down, @BimaThug. Bookmarked, because I’ll never keep all of your wisdom parked in my head. Kudos!

D-rock, saleem and dobro1229 like this.
  14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I for one do not think we 'have' to move Gordon and Wall. It seems to me we are on a three to four year plan anyway. By 2023 we should know about the whizkids, who is what and how they fit a championship team, then when Wall and Gordon's contracts end we will have a huge amount to go out and sign a Super Star or two to put us over the top. We should be a very attractive destination then with mature young stars and a lot of money.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It’s not a dubious plan, @Dubious, except for my worry that Wall might very well create a wall mucking up the synergy I expect to develop among our great group of young and very talented players. Wall has an ego the size of Mount Rushmore. I’m concerned about the direction of the team with Wall around.

[​IMG]

Easy and Kim like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clear the books for 2023!

D-rock, saleem and csnerd84 like this.
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

Thanks! Hope we only retain DJ Augustin since we have no PG depth or pick up a PG as well as maybe give Brooks another chance.

saleem likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Such a great breakdown. I’ll admit the Harden years made me lazy keeping up with all things cap related so it’ll be fun to nerd out on this stuff the next few years.

Seems like the summer of 2023 might be the big year circled to do something like Phoenix did last Summer after Booker and Ayton came into their own. We have more than enough opportunity to hit on two young players by then and then go get an all star around then to jump into contention that next year.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm still not clear about all things too.

D-rock and BamBam like this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We better get our **** together by then because we owe OKC two more top 4 protected picks in 2024 and 2026, plus we have a top 10 protected pick swap in 2025.

The rebuild cannot afford to last past 2023. I already grew gray hairs from watching the lottery this year, I don't need that kind of **** in my life again.

saleem, D-rock and dobro1229 like this.