1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that the draft is done, here's what should be the blueprint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yaopao, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I agree! but mostly we should play the young players as well as a couple of older players..
    We should play to be the best team in the West ! I do not agree we should not be shooting for the 8th position.Y

burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No blueprint.....people tell me just accumulate talent. Win, draw or bust.

Why have 8 guards when you can have 10?

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Hell naw! We got two years of tank. We gonna get Chet next year.

4. PatBev

PatBev Member

You lost me at trading them

I don’t think all 4 will be max contract players lol

burlesk and don grahamleone like this.
  5. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Let them walk as FA's? That sounds like an amazing plan.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. yaopao

I hope so. Can't think of many teams who had 3, let alone 4 picks pan out in the same class. Hard to develop all those young players at the same time. It takes a village to raise a young player, let alone 4 + the young guys we already have.

I remember 1998 when we had Bryce Drew, Mike Dickerson and Mirsad Turckan. Maybe 1 of them you could say panned out.

RasaqBoi and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The year to start winning are the OKC swap years.

Rebuilding is tough and unpredictable

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

this is a good problem to have. the better they all are the better the trade assets they are. they are all unproven at this point, even christian wood to an extent, he needs to do it for a full season, and not be injury prone. Ideally, we'll have so much young talent that some of them can be packaged for a disgruntled superstar. Except for green. i am hoping that he will be our next home grown one. They all have a lot of time to put on muscle and refine their game, mainly their three point shooting, incuding tate.

ideally, it'll take some time for them to develop so we can tank again next year while trying and get another top five draft pick. Then we can make sure to trade gordon and wall by next summer.

9. yaopao

Name me a time where that actually happened. 4 #1 picks in the same class all doing well. Most young teams that are highly touted crumble because of lux tax concerns and not being able to keep all of them.

We obviously don't know who will bust or who will thrive. The idea is that 1-2 should pan out, which is good if you research the history of the draft.

If Stone is assuming that all 4 do well, then we're screwed as it relates to contingency plans.

10. yaopao

yup. though i won't "complain" if we contended for the playoffs somehow. having another bad season to get another franchise guy wouldn't hurt.

jcmoon likes this.
  11. carlos

carlos Member

Yes they are typing but… three of them already have professional experience which makes me wonder if that was strategic and not just coincidental.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Dash

Dash Member

Stone trying to build us like the Phoenix Suns.
    Jalen as our Booker, Sengun as our Ayton, KPJ as our Chris Paul, Jae'Sean Tate/Garuba as our Jae Crowder, KJ Martin/Josh Christopher as athletic wings coming off the bench. We are just one max salary player from competing and that won't happen until John Wall is off this team books

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. photojoe

photojoe Member

Why are we worrying about this already?

During rebuilding, you get as many young guys with potential as possible. It is impossible to predict who will pan out, who will be a bust and who will overperform. The more young guys you get the better. Any of them that show promise will have high trade value later on if you do need to make future deals for established superstar or better fit or whatever else

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i would be shocked if we made the playoffs. I imagine we'll struggle on the defensive end and probably won't shoot well enough from 3 either. Unless KPJ and Green turn into all stars over night. i doubt that though. they'd probably struggle on the defensive end. We are missing our glue guys like tucker and ariza. Tate's 3 point shot isn't good enough....yet. We need guys to get in there and do the dirty work. i doubt sengun will be ready or garuba. We have a lot of players who need to get better.... HEY if it happens, it happens....i'll be glad to see it and cheer them on.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why not go for 5 bad seasons in a row so we can field an allstar team?
    lolololol rockets fans sound so pathetic I am afraid basketball gods may decide this team to be moved to seattle

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never go full.......the 2019 and 2020 draft classes weren't anything special.

17. DonatelloLimestone

Who are we beating?
    Mavs
    Warriors
    Lakeres?
    Clippers?
    Nuggets?
    Memphis?
    Suns?
    jazz?

thats 8 right there and 8 with established stars who were tere last year.

not counting if pelicans and Twolves, trailblazers, kings who have stars ahead of ours will make.

Thats why we need to do this right, another top pick and we can have the cornerstones right. Even the lowly twolves have Towns,Edwards, Russel and a few really solid complentry players

Kings have Fox, Halliburton Traiblazers have the obvious and are a playoff team, but maybe in a limbo if they get traded

S who are we passing? This may still be fine, we can get that top pick cornerstone next year. We were the worst player inthe draft and added 2 rookies, I Want to see them develop and I think we'll have some upsets with the grit and identity of this team aching to win, but we're still a vey, very young team coming off the worst year and adding rookies. I expect a good fight, but I also am thinking o what foundation we need to look at to build a winner

I do agree about the culture and getting used to losing, but i tink our best bet to do that is get vets who have winning experience, are well respect BOTh in our staff and on our roster. All the greats talk about the mentor who helped them work and tuaght em what it takes in this league, I'm not sure any of us belive John Wall is that guy. Maybe Kelly? Hes been on winning teams, hes played multiple roles. but we probably need a couple and on the staff so they know how its done and what it takes in mental and physical committment to win and be great in this league. We do not want talented 19 year olds running around with the power. Vets wont cost that mcuh and are integral to set the culture.

From that, more staff...shooting coaches and development like the staff, new facilities as tilman said in 2017,and building those look at Nets/sixers including a restaurant where they eat healthier, keep comrads in house and build chemistryn and just everything we can so that they come in and work and not worry aobtu any other details, not worried their vet may gettraded for tax reasons or any bullshit. This is a new chapter, we made great s teps yesterday to move on from teh terrible year and hopefully ownership learned from tat terrible year to build a true NBa winner and bring back clutch city.

Slowly the frustration of the burn down of an amazing talent/team is going further in the rear view mirror and new 'greener' pastures are in the horizon. Hopefulyl we move forward but also learn from mistakes so Green doesn't end up gone in 7 years too.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we need to trade them before the deadline at the very latest…otherwise in a few years we could be liable for the dreaded repeater tax :eek:

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I presume you mistyped... it can be a real b**** when the blueprints are wrong...lol

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Play the rookies and showcase them while we lose, lose, lose. Get another top pick next year.

Next year trade Wall and 1 or 2 of these showcased young guys; (KMJ/Garuba for example) for the next disgruntled star. (Like Beal and Dame are now). Gordon and Augustin need to be moved for expirings post haste. Then in 2023 you should be around max space and the Brooklyn picks are ready to start paying off.

KPJ
    Green
    Disgruntled Star
    Max FA Star
    2022 Lotto pick.
    Wood/Sengun

That’s how you do it. It’s kind of how Boston tried it with Tatum/Brown and traded for Irving and signed Hayward. Sound plan just didn’t work out due to injuries.