1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade Myles Straw to Indians for RHP Phil Maton

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's two with high spin rates that don't move much. It's something that might be make them Charley candidates with the right coach.

vince likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hard to fault Click for that though, since both Scherzer and Berrios were traded for the kinds of elite prospects Houston just didn’t have.

SWTsig and Astrofan59 like this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A dangerous move, but I'm gonna give Click the benefit of the doubt.

Nook and awc713 like this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think the hitting catcher prospect was too tempting to pass on. We have historically had trouble developing our own. We either move them to other positions or there is some glaring weakness that makes getting catchers from outside the organization more appealing. Stubbs is too small. Castro had trouble with pitchers.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I was hoping we could swing a deal with Toronto. They have a centerfielder who is not performing at his talent level and maybe a change of scenery would turn him around.

Stephen66, No Worries, HTM and 8 others like this.
  7. vince

vince Member

Always appreciate reading your very informed opinions; I kept hearing how good he was in the AAA early in the season, haven’t paid too much attention as of late. But to hear you say his defense is elite in capital letters is great to see! Hopefully Meyers can hit and his learning curve won’t be too strenuous with the bat; I say that because even top notch prospects sometimes require a lot of time to catch up to the MLB wizardry that is pitching.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. vince

vince Member

thats impressive tailing action. But that’s not a pitch, that’s more like swoosh…

Get it going Storm…. I am intrigued

9. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Who is the better defensive player between Straw and McCormick? I've never thought of Straw as a good defensive CF despite his good speed. McCormick is clearly the more promising bat.

IowaAstro likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Trade reminds me of this scene...

Shark44 and Nook like this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

And made Toronto pay the rest of his contract.

No Worries likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

McCormick has been making some highlight reel plays along with a few bone-headed ones.

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I have a really hard time seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman as Art Howe.

But yes the scene is reminiscent.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Straw was an experiment at the start of the season, right?

This trade rubs me the wrong way as well. Straw worked hard after a slow start to become what looked me like a league average CF. Not much of a reward for his hard work.

The minor league C might be what is remembered from this trade. I would not bet against the Nerd Cave on this.

Or it might be the start of Meyers Hall of Fame career ;)

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This is a page out of TB's playbook in my opinion. Try and stack the bullpen with a ton of arms that can shorten the game, and hope your offense has enough firepower to get it done. The difference is I don't think there's anybody in this starting rotation that can give you the guaranteed innings that Snell and Glasnow gave those TB teams. I will 100% acknowledge that Click addressed the team's BIGGEST need which was the bullpen. Now I suppose we just hope that this team continues to tear the cover off the ball, and puts up gaudy offensive numbers over the last 59 games. LFG Astros!

joshuaao, vince and awc713 like this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Or BOTH?

No Worries likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Really stupid take. Click has done a good job. Our main issue was our bullpen and he has addressed that without giving up the farm. Straw had a hot month, but has sucked most his career. Quit acting like we gave up Willie Mays. I like McCormick much more that Straw and Myers is absolutely tearing up AAA. I’m as disappointed as the next guy that we didn’t get bryant or buxton, but we really don’t have that much ammo for trades like that.

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

No comp pick for Greinke. He has received a qualifying offer in the past. Correa and Verlander are the only possible comp picks.

Nook likes this.
  19. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I think everyone just upset that we can’t see a ground ball turn into a single. LOL. We’ll be fine guys. We still have speed at CF plus more power now. That’s an upgrade to me. Plus Leon will probably be our CF sometime in June next year if Chas/Meyers doesn’t work out.

everyday eddie, Stephen66 and vince like this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was pissed when I read the news. Then, I was like “meh”. I will miss Mr. Single and his speed on the bases. I won’t miss his home run production. And, everyday outfielders should be able to hit home runs at a decent clip. Hopefully, the reliever and catcher we got in return make this worthwhile albeit we likely won’t know how this one pans out for a couple of seasons imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.