1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We also got a prospect back from Cleveland. Click clearly thinks McCormick and Meyers are simply better options, and they traded Straw for the best package they could get.

I don't know whether this will work out, but it's a major sack move and shows a ton of confidence in their decision making.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Click laid his balls on table. If Chas and/or Meyers are legit he's a boss. If they bomb he's circling the drain towards Purpura status.

Hell of a time to do it with the pitching gaunlet of Gausman, Wood, Webb, Buehler, and Scherzer the next 5 games.....best of luck boys.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So you think getting rid of Joe Smith was a bad choice?

4. awc713

awc713 Member

The overreactions are a bit strong. It’s a ballsy and risky move for sure given where we are. I wonder if we’re locking up Correa and rolling forward with Meyers/Chaz, anchored by Tucker/Brantley...which honestly is a strong OF. I don’t hate it.

Rock Block and jakedasnake like this.
  5. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

sure, guy

Astrofan59 and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is how I am starting to feel. Chas, Meyers, Tucker, Diaz, whoever gets more PT (Diaz at DH or in LF?) because of this move just have to be at replacement level or better than Straw's production in the field and in offense which doesn't seem that far fetched. Not to mention that we seem to be forgetting that Maton is a major league pitcher unlike some of the guys we have trotted out there this year. If he produces better than Raley, Taylor, Bielak, Abreu, etc. and provides some good innings for us especially down the stretch and in the playoffs then the trade will be worth it. Also keeps one of these relievers from making the Playoff roster potentially. Obviously these pitchers have had good moments but I am just using them as an example. The more talent we have to choose from in the bullpen the better. Not to mention that he has 2 more full seasons of arbitration left and will be a FA in 2024 and can hopefully lock down a setup role in the future with Strom's tutelage and learn from some of the vets like Greinke, Pressley, etc. on the roster.

Maton has given up 2 ER's in almost 12 innings in the month of July with 15 K's and a .175 BA against him. Maybe he figured something out recently and Astros noticed? Maybe Strom and Click and his team see some untapped potential from him? I think this move was made strictly for Maton while Astros also liking the odds that their in-house options at CF can be at least as good as Myles Straw was especially in the playoffs when Myles might become overmatched.

I am a little concerned with how the clubhouse feels about this since Straw seems well liked but Meyers appears to be a guy that the clubhouse will love instantly. Also, keep in mind that this clubhouse has been through so much together that I think they can pretty much handle anything at this point. I was worried about the loss of Springer and feel like they weathered it nicely.

Have some faith!

awc713 likes this.
  7. the shark

the shark Member

It doesn't look like Diaz has played CF at the major league level (don't know about the minors). Doesn't mean that he can't. I would hope they put him in CF a few times to get acclimated (before the playoffs).

8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

While also getting a Major League reliever with 2 full years left after this.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I doubt I'll be able to play nice that long.

10. SuraGotMadHops

I dont think the complaint is due to a clinginess to Straw, it's that you went from one inexperienced starter to an even lesser experienced starter, when there were CFs available that could have upgraded the position.

Radricky likes this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think the better question is how many balls will McCormick have to misplay in CF before we yearn for the days of Myles Straw?

12. awc713

awc713 Member

Astros FO is pretty damn good (all things considered) at 1) identifying talent, and 2) extracting the most out of their players. We just need Meyers/Chaz/Diaz to put together competitive ABs. We don’t need another all star. Our offense is loaded and glove should translate pretty easily. There will be a learning curve for sure, but we’re still in a prime position moving forward.

13. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Ahhhh that’s a no. Outside first month when he hit 10 HRs, he only has 1-2 since May. Don’t think he’s a serious prospect for astros to call him up. I might be wrong.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Being a CF for the Astros doesn't seem to be a secure job.

No Worries likes this.
  15. Radricky

Radricky Member

This exactly

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Bryan De La Cruz is starting in RF for the Marlins today.

No Worries and Bregatron like this.
  17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I doubt Diaz will play CF. Was thinking Brantley could play RF but he is only played RF 8 or 9 times in his career.

18. Buck Turgidson

I don't understand this at all.

19. Buck Turgidson

I love that Myles Straw is suddenly now Kenny Lofton in CF.

I didn't think they'd do this, but the defense b/t him and Chas is just about a wash, and if the reliever can pitch you have now improved the team.

#1699 Buck Turgidson, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I don’t care about straw. I just want to make sure the return was ok. McCormick is better than what we saw from straw. And it’s a low risk gamble.