1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do we re-sign Olynyk now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 30, 2021.

?

Do we re-sign Olynyk?

1. Yes

123 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

91 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Remember - there is a big chance Garuba does not sign this year.

I do not know how the timing works out though between his decision and KellyO's decision. Anybody?

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks. Your information is invaluable.

3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The age old basketball debate on the playground..... Spalding versus Wilson

4. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

1) who cares if he impacts winning? I really don’t understand this line of thinking where we should be focused on maximizing wins in a season where we aren’t going to go anywhere. Let the guys get reps, lose a lot, grab another top 10 pick.

2) we’ve seen historically that a team filled with young guys and no vets is a disaster. This is amplified with a young coach.

3) he’s an asset at a minimum. If he puts up same numbers to start the season, we could conceivably flip him for draft capital.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't think you want to dampen the kids' enthusiasm with another Tank Job. I think you make the best effort to win you can. Wining begets winning, losing begets losing. You want them to taste it, to be close.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Him impacting winning is a negative. Having one of the 3 worst records is an absolute must at all costs. If he messes with him, signing him is catastrophic

banzai likes this.
  7. vator

vator Contributing Member

I really wanted him back, but with the addition of our 2 new 19 year old frontcourt players I’m ok with letting him walk. If you can sign him to a fair contract then maybe still do it because I think you can flip him at the trade deadline to a contender for future assets. Professional and crafty so a good mentor in the meantime. Gotta have some vets around. Only sign him if his contract is good though. If he’s overpaid nobody will trade anything of value for him.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have DJ Khaled...

9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

We need a vet.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I concur... we get back to lottery next year then we’re set. We got a bunch of picks and pick swaps to give up. we need to get set up for the next decade. One draft ain’t gonna do it.

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Not just the lottery, you HAVE to have one of the 3 worst records so you are guaranteed top 5 pick. Can’t screw up like okc did

banzai likes this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Id like to see him work with Sengun. Seems like Olynyk might have a few sneaky veteran tricks that he could teach the young guy.

Olynyk is a liability on defense. It wasnt a big deal for the Rockets last year, but i think we might be overselliing his market a little bit because he was such an offensive upgrade for us. If I were a GM looking to actually win, he would be limited to a very situational role on my team.

Im not sure anybody would give him more than the mid-level exception, and at that rate I'd gladly sign him back for a couple of years.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It has never been as simple as yes or no. If he can be signed to a contract other teams will find desirable, then absolutely we should sign him. If the contract will not be desirable to other teams then we should let him get overpaid elsewhere.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I actually do want Kelly Olynyk back. As much as I'm going to enjoy watching the young guys, I do value the input of a veteran or two on the team. I am hoping that we get rid of Danuel House, Eric Gordon, and John Wall, somehow, even if it's breaking the latter into smaller more manageable contracts.

I think keeping DJ Augustin around is valuable for KPJ. I think Kelly will be valuable voice for the team. The guy actually enjoyed playing in Houston last year as well. So lets give him a nice 2 year deal in order to be that veteran influence.

UTSA2step and joshuaao like this.
  15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, Tristan Thompson's salary is larger than any TPE we currently have. Had the Rockets not used part of the Harden TPE in the Oladipo trade, they could've fit Thompson into that one. But alas, they chose to create a longer-lasting $8.1M TPE instead.

jch1911 likes this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I know you are a busy man, but can we expect a salary cap update article soon?

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Funny you mention that. I was debating whether to dispense the updated cap information via Twitter or to write an article for ClutchFans. All depends on my workload today or over this weekend.

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yes, Sign and trade

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I think we SHOULD sign him, I don't think we will.

BamBam likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I’m 100% on board with having him for vet leadership. This team needs guys like him around.

UTSA2step likes this.