1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NBA Draft; 24th overall] Rockets select Josh Christopher

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Josh Christopher?

1. YES

55.5%
  2. NO

44.5%
  1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I didn't know this kid but now I see his ability and potential are worthy of the pick.

And you really can't underestimate the effect of 'Team Culture'. These wonderkidz are going to push each other to achieve team greatness. KPJ, Green and Christopher all have off the charts charisma (hilarious future HEB ads). I see it as something like Altuve/Corea/Bregman/Springer, just a lot of joy in playing together, a cocky confidence that they can back up.

It might take a year or two to cycle through the older vets but we are in for at least 4 years of big fun.

2. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I agree with that. I still would have liked Grimes as a steadying part of this group we're building since we took a couple of other HR swings with our picks and I had been saying Grimes was a first round talent back when lists had him in the 60's and 70's, but Christopher seems like he's got both a higher ceiling and lower floor than Grimes by a good bit, so swinging for the fences is okay too.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Please delete this post.

don grahamleone and Fullcourt like this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Pedro Cerrano: Jesus, I like him very much, but he no help with curveball three-pointer.
    Eddie Harris: You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball three-pointer?

Anyone else middle-aged in here? Come on...you know the reference.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I’m right there with you. I believe this draft will turn this franchise around very quickly.

quikkag and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Pedro Cerrano : Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"....then I say, '**** you, Jobu. I do it myself."

You got it!

8. raining threes

^^^^
    This

I haven't watched much of him, but Stone said he's a very good defensive PG. The team could certainly use this and a very athletic backup PG that can also get to the rim is very important. He kinda reminds me of Rondo when he was young. JC needs to cut down on his turnovers and improve his outside shot. These things can be done.

With this said, I would've rather had Butler or McBride over JC if they had to have a PG at 24. I really wanted Verenz or Edwards at 24.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Still trying to wrap my head around this pick. There were better players still available.

10. DonatelloLimestone

YEa or How bucks have signed Giannis's brother and paid everyone else

or how Lakers and Clippers have Lebron and Leonard's guys on the payrole

Likewise with the nets....

I hear what your saying and in an ideal situation they work like that, but the Riley and Poppovich attitude is dying out, the money is moving towards the susperstars and they have the clout.
    Itst not different in any finance or any other office if some employee is generating a heavy majority of the revenue and attention and you market all on them as the nba does, they will have much more decision making power

Its hard for me to imagine KPJ in his rep , he was perfect in houston personality wise. Went to work quietly in the dleague, came out as a PG and all I ever heard him say was he can and will keep working.

We do need teh right set of vets with clout/respect who will keep these young kings in line. Too much young, unchecked power won't be good. Stone and Silas are essentially still young rookie guys. We need people who have been around and done things even like A haslem if we want to go cheap who can tell them something and they won't question it.

We got the talent now
    Love it!

hakeem94, steddinotayto and jcmoon like this.
  11. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

Christopher is a glue pick. These guys are 19 yo. The comfort/security of friends will have a huge impact on how quickly they settle in and on their stability.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Were there players with higher ceilings still available at 24? Seems like Josh is way up there when it comes to a home run swing at this point in the draft.

vator, Denovo and jcmoon like this.
  13. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I voted no. However, going back to last year, if this was a home run swing, I can get behind it. There’s potential here for sure. I don’t hate it.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Most of us have to keep in mind that the success/failure of the franchise isn't going to be tied to whoever we selected at 24 or even 23. If he becomes a serviceable rotation player that's a win for the team because most late 1st rounders don't turn into All-Stars. Now if ALL of our picks *knocks on wood* fail and there was a player taken after #24 that becomes a star then that's a different story.

red5rocket, hakeem94 and jakedasnake like this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

if he flops and we cut him that's more damaging that their "friends" got cut

16. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

Worst case he plays the season in Rio Grande, but remains with the org, trains off season with his friends.

17. Denovo

Denovo Member

Nahh that happens all the time. Players become friends and watch each other get cut and traded. It’s part of the business. For example, Lowry and Derozan

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He would have gone fairly early in the second. He is high risk/high reward, and that becomes a lot more palatable when you arent locked into a multi-year 1st round contract.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

I like Grimes, but if we’re keeping it a buck, he wouldn’t have probably been drafted at all had he come out after his freshman or sophomore seasons. Gup has a higher upside. Whether or not he reaches it remains to be seen. I was surprised Jared Butler slid personally.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It really blows my mind that there are veteran members of this board that think that Christopher was picked to be buddies with Jalen Green.

Just because you don't agree with the pick, doesn't mean that the Rockets are using this pick to blow Jalen Green, who already has boys on the team.

#200 RudyTBag, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    RedIsen, Deuce, Richie_Rich and 6 others like this.