1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You are leaving out the CDC data that showed that vaccinated people can spread even though we are unlikely to get severe Covid ourself.

So the CDC is asking people like me to save people like you and most people like me are fine with saving your life even though it’s your own damn fault and it pisses me off.

I assume you are not vaccinated right? If you are great, but I know way too many people who listen to nuts like Shapiro and Tucker Carlson who are defiant against the life saving vaccine. Including my parents.

The story here isn’t about them though as Ben Shapiro and Tucker Carlson are trying to make it be. The fact is they are the ones being treated like royalty and coddled. It’s people like me who aren’t b****ing who should be b****ing. I lost my job because of Covid and had to change careers. I got Covid when I was careful but someone around me was not and brought it into our circle. I masked up when I hated it till the vaccine was available. I got the vaccine. Now I am being asked to save the lives of people like my parents and probably someone like you.

Yet people like you probably don’t realize I’m the one with the right to be pissed the F off at you. People like you and my parents are the ones being coddled and treated like special snowflakes.

Frankly its bullsh$t.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

@durvasa

I did miss it. The cdc internal report does said it’s the same viral load between infected vaccinated and infected unvaccinated with Delta…

In that outbreak, vaccinated and unvaccinated people had nearly the same amount of virus recovered from test samples, indicating that vaccinated people are just as contagious as unvaccinated people when it comes to the delta variant.

London'sBurning and durvasa like this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What if their mindset believe in some of the crazies conspiracy around covid vaccines? Bill Gate and the Gov is chipping you. DNA altering drugs that might now show up now but wait until Fall'21. 5G implants.

I know a person that went to medical school. He's adamant that starting this fall, hundreds of millions will die, not from covid but from covid vaccines. He recognizes no one believes him but he truly believes it and tells all his friends and families. I asked for links to his source. He sent them to me. It's a bunch of conspiracy theories. The conspiracy stuff Commodore post around here is pale in comparison.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is like the Mike Lindell claiming that Trump would be reinstated on Jan. 20th, then March 6th and now sometime in August.

Check on your friend in November and see what he's saying.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And of course nothing changed since May.. :rolleyes:

Andre0087 and subtomic like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/07/29/biden-asks-doj-for-opinion-about-federal-vaccine-mandate/

15 hours ago
    [Josh Blackman] Biden Asks DOJ For Opinion About Federal Vaccine Mandate
    by Josh Blackman

["It's still a question whether the federal government can mandate the whole country."]

Today, President Biden slipped some significant news. He asked DOJ (presumably OLC) whether the federal government can impose a federal vaccine mandate.

"I asked the Justice Department to determine whether they're able to do that legally, and they can. Local communities can do that, local businesses can do that," the president said. "It's still a question whether the federal government can mandate the whole country. I don't know that."

I have four immediate reactions.

First, is there sufficient statutory authority to impose such a mandate? Of course Congress could enact a new statute. But Congress doesn't actually legislate anymore. It's more likely that the President relies on some extant authority. To impose the eviction moratorium, the CDC relied on fairly generalized statutes that concern quarantines and the like. And many courts have held this authority was inadequate. I doubt there is any statute that could justify a true, nationwide vaccine mandate. And if OLC tries to repurpose some old authority, DOJ will face a major major question problem. No mouse-hole can fit an elephantine-sized vaccine mandate.

Second, Jacobson v. Massachusetts (whatever it means) does not fully resolve the issue. That case concerned the state's general police power. The federal government lacks a generalized police power. Rather, it has enumerated powers. What enumerated power would give the executive branch the ability to forcibly jab millions of Americans with a needle–perhaps in the absence of clear statutory authority? There is caselaw about a federal draft, though that authority is closely tied to the federal war power. You know, I thought we were done arguing about mandates with California v. Texas. Alas, we are stuck in a loop.

Third, DOJ should be careful how it defines a "mandate." In Jacobson, there was no forcible mandate to be vaccinated. People could instead choose to pay a $5 fine or get jabbed. (Roughly $150 in present-day value). If the Biden OLC tries to depart from this "choice" construction, and impose a straight-up mandate–punishable by criminal sanction–they will have difficulty relying on Jacobson. I hope to say much more about Jacobson soon. My article, The Irrepressible Myth of Jacobson v. Massachusetts should hit law review submission boxes shortly. (I previewed it here).

Fourth, from a policy perspective, this idea strikes me as counter-productive. The worst way to encourage people to get a shot is to mandate it. People will resist and engage in civil disobedience. I think there is a good reason why most nations around the world have not imposed forcible mandates.

Now if OLC never publishes this opinion, we can presume the answer is "No, you cannot impose a nationwide vaccine mandate." I'm grateful Biden slipped here.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

A president making sure he follows the law before issuing executive orders sounds like a good thing. Seems like something “rule of law conservatives” should be praising Biden for.

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The whole problem boils down to "Of course Congress could enact a new statute. But Congress doesn't actually legislate anymore."

9. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

The hospital my wife works at enacted change to reduce number of visitors each patient can have each day from 2 to 1 to reduce the amount of risk to patients.

Letting covid spread wildly has negative consequences even for vaccinated people. Not being able to see your loved one's last moments because surging covid numbers is such a preventable tragedy.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a wonderful post.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

durvasa likes this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I do feel like the messaging is getting muddled. My guess is we simply don't know for certain what the risks are, and the CDC is choosing to play it safe based on some preliminary data to prevent a huge surge in infections. It's not an unreasonable position, but I can also see how it can be counter-productive by disincentivizing the unvaccinated from getting a damn vaccine already.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If you haven't been vaccinated yet, go. Now. There's absolutely no reason (aside from a medical issue) that you haven't. If you think you know more because you researched something on Google...or listened to a moron like Ben Shapiro...or are taking some tweet from months ago as evidence why you don't have to participate now...you're an idiot and you don't know s***. It's really a matter of stupidity at this point.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. Cherenqueco

Cherenqueco Member

No thanks.

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Do you have a medical reason preventing you from getting it? No? Please refer back to my post then.

17. Cherenqueco

Cherenqueco Member

No. I will never get the vaccine. Seeth.

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

You've convinced me. I'm on my way!!

Cherenqueco likes this.
  20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the vaccines appear to have a powerful prophylactic effect (almost no vaccinated person who gets COVID dies or is even hospitalized), but are not as effective at preventing infection entirely

but the media/authorities are hell bent on pushing a narrative that the unvaccinated are putting the vaccinated at risk, and midwits like many in this thread will blindly accept what media/authorities tell them

what explains the desire to shame/force the unvaccinated into compliance? I think it's a combination of petty tyrants who get off on compelling behavior in others, and also an easy means of virtue signaling one's intellectual superiority and compassion for humanity by getting the vaccine.

Given that there is no data on the long-term impact of the vaccine, it makes sense for those not in an at-risk category to forego the vaccine.

#7140 Commodore, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    MojoMan likes this.