1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NBA Draft; 23rd overall] Rockets select Usman Garuba

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Usman Garuba?

1. YES

96.9%
  2. NO

3.1%
  1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I think he’s more of an OG Anunoby than Draymond. Really don’t like to imagine Draymond on this team.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Defensively he is VERY good........ but offensively he really isn't.

I am fine with the pick, he at least can defend at any level.

He is very strong but not all that great moving in a straight line.... he does however move well from side to side.

DeBeards, hakeem94, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  3. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

If he can be OG, that would be a win for us. OG is a great role player

bobloblaw, RudyTBag and Drift Monkey like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

You may be right - but I would imagine there were other priorities especially with him coming into the league at age 17. And then, I don't know if spacing is as important in Europe as it is in the NBA - I imagine the play to be a lot less iso-heavy. But yeah, probably he is already practising 3s, he just needs to really make it a point to delevope a corner 3 in the mid 30s (he already is at low 30s with about 1 three per game, so I guess this is totally doable)

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

As long as Garuba look ok, then that's ok.

D-rock, ThatBoyNick and saleem like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Usman is a big undersized 4/5. There's no resemblance to OGA in his game.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Have we gotten a commitment from his side that he'll join the team this year?

9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I don’t get what your point is. O’Connor’s draft guide listed him as having shades of Anunoby and Faried. If you compare their draft profiles they are very similar, besides being the same size.

“While slightly undersized for a big man at 6-foot-8 and 230 pounds, Garuba has a reported 7-foot-3 wingspan that allows him to play much bigger than his height, complementing his outstanding intensity level and instincts. A strong passer and developing 3-point shooter, Garuba has drawn comparisons from NBA scouts to the likes of OG Anunoby and P.J. Washington with his style of play.”
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...usman-garuba-enter-2021-nba-draft-source-says

#129 bobloblaw, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    D-rock, joshuaao and Chamillionaire like this.
  10. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

11. Rudyball 1998

Rudyball 1998 Member

Recently Facundo Campazzo worked out a 6 million Euro buyout with Real Madrid to join the Nets so I have more hope now that Usman can work something out soon with Madrid.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Tilman: "Wait.....that's not coming of my pocket, is it?"
    Stone: "Mister Fertitta......(sigh) Hey, guys, can we have the room? Thanks.....Mister Fertitta...."

saleem, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Real Madrid to get at least €3M buyout for Garuba
    Idk how the hell this works but he basically won't make any money on his rookie deal after taxes and agent fees, that's wild?

D-rock and RasaqBoi like this.
  14. Rudyball 1998

Rudyball 1998 Member

I imagine some creative payment plan w Real Madrid + some "marketing" incentives here to ease the pain will get him here.

D-rock, hakeem94 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

confirmed: Garuba gets a free stay at the Post Oak Hotel / Landry’s all you can eat. Rich Broke.

UTSA2step, Amel, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not exactly for a few reasons

1. His perimeter defense is 100% capable of defending wings as a full-time job. Theoretically, you could have him on the court with two shooting bigs like Wood+Olynyk and have zero issues with his perimeter defense at SF. Clint can't do that, he could in spurts nu handling himself on switches but you would trust Garuba like you trust Tate guarding wings.

2. His 3PT shot while VERY shaky at only 31% on 0.8 makes per 36 is still a million times better than a complete non-shooter like Clint

What you are worried about with Garuba is what Luc looked like when his corner 3 wasn't falling, which was near unplayable due to the damage of our offense, but we have shooting C's now so it's a little bit different, and Garuba is a better rebounder then Luc/PJ were as a small-ball 5

Shark44 and D-rock like this.
  17. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah Tilman better pay that man and at least reimburse him. Crazy the NBA won’t allow teams to cover everything!

D-rock likes this.
  18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Garuba plays with Sergio Llull. Sorry we will never see him come over.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

".....great news, sir. The NBA actually has a bizarre rule that we can only pay $775k of the buyout fee. So he may or may not ever come over and play for us, but more importantly you will NOT have to pay ~$3.5mm to get him here........perhaps you could call Real Madrid and tell them to 'Shut Up and Listen'? That may help Usman's negotiations as he tries to pay $2.75mm on a $2.4mm salary...."

D-rock, hakeem94 and CriscoKidd like this.
  20. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Nice I love It!
    Learn to shoot passably and we have ourselves a great role player!

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.