1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting to know Alperen Sengun - your new...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 30, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun is plenty physical but not as good an above the rim player as Domantas.

Both not great 3ball shooters.

Both struggle defensively in switches.

Both have average wingspans for bigs.

Both smart AF.

saleem, Dacamel, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  2. omgTHEpotential

From what I've seen, it looks to me like Sengun actually has longer arms and is more of a shot-blocker than Sabonis.

saleem, CXbby, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I still see plenty of exaggerated heights. You have to specifically search for it too or else you get the measurement in high heels.

D-rock likes this.
  4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Everyone is a perennial all star before they play a minute in the NBA. Let’s see how he handles the league.

But, I am intrigued by all the hype.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Al's handle in the open court is really impressive.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This guy seems like a good pick.

He looks trying hard on the court and making mostly good decisions all the time.

I dont really give a fork about defense on his age, hey, Jokic was always labeled by people being a bad defender also.

When you always try hard, good things will happen.

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. AnHero

AnHero Member

He has good tools for defense already. He had tons of highlights of steals and blocks all very crafty plays and he was in the right spot alot. He always hustles has active hands and generally stays with everyone. In all the lowlights of his defense he was still challenging and competing. You can't win every 1 on 1 as a teenager againist men. Unless you are Garuba.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He is always busting it down court. He beats his man over and over just on effort alone. No plays off. No walking it up behind the action. If he screws up it will be full speed and thats a great thing. His passing is great. He mixes it up for boards and loose balls. He isnt scared on defense. I know Mobley was the premier big man in this draft, but Sengun is not far behind.

Coaches can control many things, but effort is not one of them. Jalen and Sengun are going to make the entire roster better just by practicing.

CriscoKidd, fattz, cmoak1982 and 3 others like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

AKA Chrisco

robbie380 and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Clearly on offense but not quite on defense.

And this is coming from an advocate of both players.

King1 and Dacamel like this.
  11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Not trying to disrespect Harden and his greatness, but we had peaked as a team.

in terms of pure enjoyment, this reboot is way more interesting and enjoyable than another re run season of Harden and company. I’m probably going to watch every game, with big interest, and I haven’t done that in a while.

12. j@amc

j@amc Member

For all the Scola comps, he was a terrifying below-the-rim player with an uncanny ability to create separation with spins and footwork. Sengun has those types of moves, but as his body has filled in, he's become much more explosive. Just watch the video in the OP (his under 16 profile). That's well worth your time. Sengun's jump in athleticism to the present is stunning. Below is the top plays from last season. Does anyone remember Scola doing any of this (check the 1:01 mark)?

I'm excited to see where he'll be in three years when he has more experience with what he can do.

I also think we can expect him to add the jump shot. It makes complete sense to me that it's a work-in-progress with how much his body has changed in such a short time.

saleem, CXbby and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Correct but neither will ever be elite shot blockers.

14. omgTHEpotential

Yes, just saying, Sengun will provide slightly more of that :D

D-rock likes this.
  15. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Nice write up. Are we just going to ignore those Rocket like uniforms in the YT vid? :D

CriscoKidd and D-rock like this.
  16. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

How tall is Sengun?

His post game looks really polished, but he also looks taller than everyone else.

I remember a pic a month back of him next to Whiteside where he looked 6'9", which will make those movies much harder to pull off.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Great project for the #16 pick. A 19 year old who has only ever played in one pro league - easily in the top ten most competitive in the world - and dominated it. Great time to get him into NBA training and coaching and in a place where he can get minutes to develop.

If he is going to be a liability defensively on the perimeter, then he has to basically be good at almost everything else to have a high impact on the score (kind of like Jokic and Doncic). Good news is he's average to good at everything else and very young. His post game seems polished for the NBA, so I hope they go to work on perimeter defense and 3pt range.

He seems like a player who will be able to give you efficient points even in high pressure playoff settings. But for the millionth time, can he stay on the floor defensively? They will pull him out there 75% of the time if they have to, he has to be able to compete.

Props to the guys who were following him early.

CriscoKidd and D-rock like this.
  18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Defensive highlights. They say he has problems with the pick and roll, but there are some nice plays in here. Yes, these are just highlights, but he looks way more experienced than 18 years old. Even without freakish arm length, he looks real good at anticipation and timing on these blocks and deflections. He is getting blown by and still getting a hand on it.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

How does Sengun compare to Luis Scola and Enes Kanter?

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mix those two and Jokic and Larry f'ing Bird in a pot...

Kid is a player man... His effort on defense will prevail over any perceived shortcomings. They said the same about Marc Gasol's defense.