1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NBA Draft; 16th overall] Rockets select Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Alperen Sengun?

1. YES

95.1%
  2. NO

4.9%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#261 zeeshan2, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    ElDobleK, Caesar and Drift Monkey like this.
  2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Still cant believe we landed Sengun....

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m shocked both that he dropped this far and that the Rockets got him.

super legit prospect. Best big passer in the draft. Super physical player. Bevy of interior moves with a knack for scoring. In their cup league or whatever he was averaging like 12 free throws a game. He takes it to the body. Can put the ball on the floor. Strong shooting form (but not the range yet), and defensively will ave to work at it but he really really puts in the effort.

I think he’s a 4 in the NBA assuming he can get that 3 point shot and if so I think he’s a multi-time all star level 4. Fits well next to Wood actually (except neither are exceptional defensively).

dominant young euros from strong leagues just translate. Almost every time. THe guys that dont didn’t dominate their leagues and are picked 1000% on projection - eg Dragan Bender, Hezonjas of the world.

what a steal.

hakeem94, pr0wler, Scarface and 7 others like this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

I agree, I've seen some crazy projections and breakdowns of him. I saw the thread and did not even click because I felt it was pointless with a prospect this good. Analytically he is an absolute stud, the steal of the draft many were saying. I'm absolutely loving it, I was hoping we somehow managed to get Usman, but to get Sengun and Garuba is beyond anything I could have imagined just a few hours ago...

hakeem94, saleem, cmoak1982 and 2 others like this.
  7. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

So what past boards did this guy have a prospect at number 1 and was actually correct ?

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

9. Rocket_Man_2.0

Sengun is a stud...Could be the next Jahlil Okafor!

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Green and Sengun, that's an amazing haul.

conquistador#11 and robbie380 like this.
  11. riko

riko Member

What stands out from a few highlights is his impeccable footwork and offensive awareness around the rim. He also has pretty good court vision and natural passing gift . A lot like former rockets legend DMO. He just needs to work on expanding his game more to the three point line and in a few years I truly believe he can be one of the best bargains in this draft. Probably 3 years away from that atleast.

I would still keep him in Europe for a couple of more seasons to fill out his body .

Caesar likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...aft-winners-losers-surprises-bold-predictions

13. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of the comments about him were made before he lost a lot of weight and got in shape. At one point he was too fat and then lost like 40 lbs and his athleticism improved. His athleticism, especially on the offensive side of the ball is underrated. He has some issues with his hips, but I know that some scouts think that it is technique based more than anything else and will be fixed.

Deuce, luckyman76, joshuaao and 6 others like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Put him to work with Chuck Hayes . Honestly, his defensive technique will get better. He will get stronger too.

Hakeemtheking and ElDobleK like this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Sengun, Green, Wood and KPJ will be such a deep bag good lord.

Unreal that the Rockets have redeveloped already and a year ago we were thinking where Wood/Harden/EGo/Wall would take us. If Garuba can develop a 3 pointer...

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I mean, from a post moves skillset, that's a fair comp. Okafor was never lacking in the ability to score. But Sengun was already a better passer & playmaker at 18 than Okafor is today. Okafor also suffered from maturity issues and injuries, which both stunted his growth.

If Sengun ends up as poor on the defensive end of the court as Okafor, then yeah, he's not going to live up to expectations. But, Okafor's defensive issues stem from an inability to read the game and low effort. Based on feel for the game alone, I'd hope that Sengun can exceed Okafor in that regard, and he's never shown any indication that his effort is lacking.

I think we all know Sengun will never be a lockdown defender, but his offensive game could be special enough to make him a star if he's able to develop into an average defender.

clutchdabear, hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

John Hollinger:

Best overpay: Alperen Sengun, Houston

Houston paid a hefty cost to jump into the first round at No. 16 and select Sengun, but I think it was worth it. A hugely productive player overseas who won the Turkish League MVP at the age of 18, Sengun has some defensive shortcomings but is a ready-made offensive weapon at both the low post and elbows. He seriously might win NBA Rookie of the Year. I had him fourth on my board.

On the surface, the Rockets paid quite a price here: future first-round picks from both Washington and Detroit. Study the protections on those picks, however, and one can reasonably conclude Houston didn’t overdo it. The pick from Detroit could very plausibly only convey as two second-round picks; it’s protected in the top 18 through 2024 and then the protection drops to 13, 11 and 9 before turning into a 2027 second-round pick. The Washington pick has a better chance of conveying in 2023 or ’24 (protected 14, 12, 10, and 8), especially if Bradley Beal stays, but this one also has a chance of just turning into two seconds.

On balance, the expected value of what Houston gave up is still more than the 16th pick in a typical draft. But I still liked Houston’s pounce here given the exceptional value that Sengun seemed to represent.

[…]

Oklahoma City parlayed its 16th pick into two more future firsts — is this a basketball team or a pyramid scheme? — in the above deal with Houston. On strict value, the Thunder did well here, but I thought Sengun was better than any of the three players the Thunder ended up picking.

20. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

I like that the Rockets got the guy they wanted and didn't cheap out. We got to capitalize on a great draft class and now have a bunch of solid building blocks for the future.

RudyTBag likes this.