1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happens to John Wall?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 24, 2021.

?

John Wall

1. Traded

139 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Stays

134 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. topfive

topfive CF OG

What happens to Wall?

I heard Mexico will pay for him, but something tells me we'll eat the cost ourselves.

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is such an unfortunate situation. The best thing for our future is to develop our guys, which means wall should get 0 playing time. Not even 1 minute. But how can we do that? We can’t trade him, he’s a negative asset, unless we attach picks, which would be stupid. We aren’t in a position where we want to dump assets.

Its a total dick move to keep him on the roster and refuse to play him like we did to melo…but I don’t see a better option. Would be a bad look to do that to Wall, but I really don’t know how else to handle it. The dream scenario is some stupid team actually trades for him without requiring us to attach assets. Don’t really see that happening.

tehG l i d e likes this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

maybe we can trade him for a bad contract(s) at the forward position so at least we open up playing time for all these young guards

saleem and harold bingo like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

Simple: we trade with the Wizards.

Out: Wall
    In: Kuzma, Harrell, Caldwell Pope

:D

Russ was Beal's rebound. Now that Wall's healthy, Beal will fall back in love with his DC life partner.

luckyman76, jch1911 and Rocket_ph like this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

LONG LIVE THE TANK!!!

sirjesse likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I guess I'm in the minority here , I think there's plenty of minutes for 4-5 guards and that he's a net positive "to the Rockets" as the tank commander ..... leading the team back into the early lottery next offseason. What could be better for the bottom line than a selfish point guard trying to pad his stats ?!

I don't see him stunting Green or anyone else's growth ..... everyone's gonna get their minutes. He won't play back to backs & isn't likely to play more than 28 minutes per either.
    KPJ will get the meat of the remaining point guard minutes & Green will be the off guard and at the wing spot some too.

What I do expect is that Bradley's option is declined or he's traded early on otherwise.

They'll go into the season with 6 guards.
    Wall
    KPJ
    Green
    Thomas
    EG
    Augustin

The rest of the roster -

Wood
    Olynyk
    Tate
    House
    Garuba
    KMJ
    Sengun
    Christopher
    Only one of Brooks , Brown & Nwaba is retained.

And a couple two way guys rounding out the 17.

Wall plays the full season here and is moved at the following trade deadline allowing the Rockets to move around $58.8m in contracts at that time.

jb86 and MultipleSauces like this.
  7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need to keep Wall, He will be better this year and he is a veteran who can still play at a high level. We might need to trade Gordon for Myles Turner from Indiana. Turner and Wood starting and then Sengun and Garuba would be a great front court for us.

jb86 likes this.
  8. finsraider

finsraider Member

KPJ /
    Green / Thomas / Christopher
    Tate /
    KMJ / Garuba
    Wood / Sengun

That’s a lot of young guys that need developmental minutes, and Christopher is likely the only one that gets much time in the G League. I’d probably keep Augustine around to mentor and provide a reliable floor general to run the offense.

We probably won’t target wings in free agency to allow House the opportunity to rebuild some of his value.

I could actually see a buyout with Wall if he’s willing to cut a good chunk off his player option.

Gordon I could see being traded for equal salary, but expiring next summer.

Frankly, the cap space next summer shouldn’t be that important to us. We aren’t going to be a major player in free agency, and will very likely have another top 10 pick.

Summer 2023 is the next chance we get at being competitive in free agency. We should know whether we have a foundational piece or 2 by that point.

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The smart move is to sit Wall down and tell him he's got half a season to prove his value to the league. He can start, run the offense, rest on back to backs, and the team will do their best to trade him to a contender at the deadline. If it doesn't work out you give him the Al Horford treatment for the second half of the season and then trade him when he only has 1 year left.

fchowd0311 and jch1911 like this.
  10. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Somethings got to give, way to many players under contract.

11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The real question is what is Wall's goal right now. While he definitely makes a some boneheaded plays/decision on the court and in prep, he does seem to have a desire to continue to play the game and compete. Much more than I would expect for a guy who has banked so much $$ and fought major injuries to get back to the court. You have to give him some credit for that.

I think Silas and Stone have to try to convince him that this may be the first year since Wall's rookie season where his team has a bunch guys who are better athletes and finishers than he is at this stage. The league is thirsting for PG/quarterback players who can distribute and hustle, so much that the Lakers threw all their trade chips for Russell Westbrook. True Wall doesn't really have that reputation, but he is only 30 yo, grew up with more true PG than a lot of other guys, and is a touch better than average 3 pt shooter when assisted, particularly in the corner.

If he actually wants to stay in the league and maybe get another contract. If he is still hoping to sneak on to a title team as some point, he should lean into the being the older vet guy who can get the younger guns into their sets and finish plays. If anything, it may even allow him to stay a bit healthier.

I get that it is a long shot. But it probably the best option for him and the Rockets. Every other option is a worse one.

[​IMG]

fattz, Xerobull and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. jch1911

jch1911 Member

But you can trade Kennard easier... to a CHA or IND or team that needs vet sniper locked up 3-4 years

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We’ll probably have to wait and see what the Knicks do in free agency. I’m sure they will go after Lowry. If they don’t get a top PG, they might be willing to take on Wall for the short term. They proved last night that they have no interest in trying to develop a young one. After as well as last night went for us, I wouldn’t even mind attaching a pick to get it done.

fattz and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

I mean, we want to give the young guys as much run as possible, but I do think that having solid veteran presence to help the rookies in practice and to give out advice on the court in real game-time situations is also important. Jarrett Jack played for the Ignite last season and said that Jalen approached him very early asking to watch film and talk about how to improve his game. Hopefully Wall is willing to make himself available like that.

I really don't think Wall is getting moved any sooner than the Trade Deadline, and probably not until next offseason when he's a massive expiring (and has hopefully shown that he can stay on the court productively for most of a season). I also think that, given his injury history, it'll be necessary and appropriate to limit his minutes (and maybe even on B2Bs), which will lead to a more equitable distribution among him, KPJ, and Green. Wall's contract is an albatross, but I think it'll be to everyone's benefit to try to make the best of it, given the team's rebuilding & development priorities.

15. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Not sure Wall is the Vet I want advising our youth. I’m happy to drive him to Los Angeles though

ElPigto, tinman, cmoak1982 and 2 others like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Would much rather Augustin as the vet to teach

whiskeyred likes this.
  17. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

100 percent

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. jb86

jb86 Member

Either option I'm fine with. If he stays I think he should come off the bench and be the 6th man. But still give him starter minutes against the scrubs.

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Send him to the Gulag lol. Seriously, I don't dislike him personally but he doesn't belong on this team.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

tinman and TimDuncanDonaut like this.