1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Grade Stone’s first draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jul 29, 2021.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]
    2021 NBA Draft grades:

2. Houston Rockets: SG Jalen Green, G-League Ignite

Green makes a valid point in saying he might have been the No. 1 pick if he'd gone to college. He was awesome in the G-League, and you could argue that what he did there was more impressive than starring in college because he was going against grown men. He has the best chance of anyone other than Cunningham to be a star, and he has the talent to be a future scoring champion. Grade: A+

16. Houston Rockets (from Oklahoma City): C Alperen Şengün, Turkey

The Rockets traded for this pick on draft night, sending two future first-rounders to the Thunder. Şengün is an incredible force around the basket, both in the post with his back to the basket and facing up, as well as his offensive rebounding. If you want to be skeptical, he's a traditional big. But analytics love him, as he was historically productive for a teenager in a very good league in Turkey, and he was the best player left on my board. Grade: A+

23. Houston Rockets (from Portland): PF Usman Garuba, Spain

The highest remaining guy on my board, so the grade might be self-evident. Garuba is a versatile high-level defender who could help as a rookie and eventually develop into one of the best defensive bigs in the world. Grade: A+

24. Houston Rockets (from Milwaukee): SG Josh Christopher, Arizona State

I appreciate the big swing, and he was a projected lottery pick a year ago. College basketball didn't work out so well for him, but I think the Rockets are seeing a player with potential to develop alongside a longtime friend, Jalen Green. Grade: B+

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ade-filled-night-with-plenty-of-strong-picks/

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If the Rockets end up with for example the 5th pick they have more than enough trade capital to move up to say the second or third pick for a center or small forward they could be targeting.

groovemachine likes this.
  4. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

What kind of installment plan makes a 2.75 M (2.3 M Euros if I have it right) debt manageable? I'm under the impression that the most we can pay him is just under 1.9 M.

5. Spooner

Spooner Member

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Mike is the Einstein of drafts. Just saying.

hakeem94 and sirjesse like this.
  7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

He had one lotto pick this draft partially bc Morey read the tea leaves and got the heck out before harden bailed

Morey also could never make a draft day trade, stone already pulled one off

Dobbizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Moreys 3 ball concept doesn't work. You can't win in this league (championship) without mid range game especially when you are a 3 point shooting team that doesn't have a single sharp shooter and a bunch of average shooters.

Dobbizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

I wasn't in on the Christopher pick. But now I know him and Jalen Green are best mates I'm all for it.

For now I can breathe easy as a happy happy Rockets fan. At least until FA heats up.

Good night for all of us die hards

hakeem94 and groovemachine like this.
  10. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Better than Morey in the draft

11. Spooner

Spooner Member

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Plot twist. Kpj hates it

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

My grade is B plus. If JC improves his jumper , I will give it an A. I'm a bit disappointed that Stone didn't pick up at least one Euro stash player as a UDFA.

hakeem94 and groovemachine like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Easy to imagine Morey seeing that and thinking, "Whoa, great move."

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Respectfully disagree. He built and built, trade after trade with improvements year over year until his magnum opus that was the 2017 Rockets. That team won 65 games, and would’ve beat the warriors followed by an easy finals victory if it wasn’t for the Chris Paul injury. His concept worked, we had a 1 year window, and it was taken away by injury. As he likes to say, opportunity is not a lengthy visitor. Also worth noting that Chris Paul was brought in to take midrange shots, and he did it very well.

This stone praise is premature, I’ll crown him if he can do better than playoffs for 8 years in a row, with 2 WCF appearances and a 60+ win season.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wall needs to calm down, he doesn’t need to try and hit a home run. If Wall doesn't change his ways, nobody can get better. Evan Mobley would have had the same potential problem with Wall.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Funny thing. Clutchfans users predicted these picks.

hakeem94, Hakeemtheking and saleem like this.
  18. Spooner

Spooner Member

19. i3artow i3aller

20. amaru

amaru Member

Why not Tilman?

DreamShook likes this.