1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NBA Draft; 23rd overall] Rockets select Usman Garuba

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Usman Garuba?

1. YES

96.9%
  2. NO

3.1%
  1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I dunno.... I kinda see a potential Montrezl Harrell on offense who has elite defensive potential. If he pans out this could be a steal pick in the modern NBA. A guy who is this versatile on defense, but can do what someone like Harrell does on offense taking advantage of more lumbering 5's is like a unicorn. I see a potential damn near perfect small ball 5.... again... if he hits.

First thing he needs to do is get here (we don't have a great history with Real Madrid stashes), and second he's gotta do things to get PT.

3. juanming

juanming Member

Dude ..!!! Love the lineup FINALLY someone made a lineup that I wud do.. tired of seeing u guys put wood in there... Number one wood will probably not be here in 3 years number two he can't stay healthy enough to stay on the floor

With sengun having defensive liabilities it makes sense to put garuba next to him

Also tired of people putting tate as small Forward.. KJ Martin is like five years younger than Tate and already better so I don't know why you guys put tate in the starting lineup it should be KJ Martin

I agree with all five guys in the starting lineup

fattz, D-rock, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Some people on the internet are saying this Garuba dude is a leaner, younger (obviously) Draymond Green.

If so, that's amazing.

xaos, joshuaao, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Cooper is free falling

God damn

Nook, D-rock and Caesar like this.
  7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Just go watch his highlights. There's absolutely no way he won't translate to the NBA as a productive role player in some way or another. The reason he fell so low was because Real Madrid set his buyout price even higher than what Luka's was set at, so it doesn't make much sense for very many teams to pick a PJ Tucker/Draymond Green kind of guy in the lottery. The guy is Super Jae-Sean Tate

Dobbizzle, D-rock and vince like this.
  8. kevtse

kevtse Member

Same thought here. He has a super motor just like Montrezl, with better defense.

D-rock and dobro1229 like this.
  9. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

So we have garuba/Christopher/sengun?

jesus this draft is more amazing than I thought it could be

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I heard he will be able to pay it in installments, so should be no worries getting him here.

11. jayydela

jayydela Member

Looking like what Anthony Bennett shoulda been

BigggReddd and hakeem94 like this.
  12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I think the Luc Mbah a Moute comp is a little more accurate at least early in his career. He does seem to have better skills and potential than a young Luc which is more similar to Draymond like passing/vision. Luc was a little more skilled than he let on just didn't do too much on the court especially with elite offensive maestros on the team in CP3 and Harden.

I am hoping his defense is as good as Draymond's and he can provide at least similar offensive skill set as him too someday. Would be a very valuable contributor to put next to Sengun if they both pan out. His defense does seem impressive but did see him get beat off the dribble at times but was quick to recover like Draymond.

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

actually, yeah. lmao

14. TimDuncanDonaut

15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His NBA career is on layaway.

vator, ElPigto, Dobbizzle and 3 others like this.
  16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

For those curious, this was only a year ago.

Some analyst, like Sam Vecenie, had him as high as 14.

Incredible low risk pick up, Real Madrid and the Spanish league is easiest one of the closest there is competition wise to the NBA.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Gonna watch the Spain Vs Argentina replay from today rn, brb I'll let y'all know how he handles anciano Scola

Dobbizzle and D-rock like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not the same stratosphere when it comes to ball handling an vision, thats what makes Draymond Draymond

He's extremely raw offensively, I'd be very happy if can produce as much as Luc did for us on offense, I'd be very happy if he could produce what Luc did for us on defense too, the only area Garuba differentiates in a positive way for Moute is rebounding, in that area he hopefully will be close to Draymond in production

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew