1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NBA Draft; 24th overall] Rockets select Josh Christopher

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 29, 2021.

?

Do you like the selection of Josh Christopher?

1. YES

55.5%
  2. NO

44.5%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Feels like a guy that could follow a Lou Williams type trajectory and be similar to LouWill if he reaches his potential. Williams was drafted out of high school and took a couple of years to really get accustomed to the league before he started looking like he eventually did…hell, most of his 2nd year was spent in the G-League.

Detailed write-up by the Atlanta SBNation site here
    https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2021...deo-analysis-breakdown-fit-with-atlanta-hawks

But, not everyone can struggle early and then find their groove. Will Christopher be able to find his footing in the NBA…and…if he does, will he accept a backup role and for how long? Lot of questions about his mental make-up and he’ll have to mature to make it.

However, to me, it’s a good pick for this team right now. Might as well take a chance on him if you like the potential at this point in the draft and after the others they took. You have the ability to be patient with him…might as well take a shot.

D-rock, clutchdabear and Caesar like this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

And that concerns me.

We already know Porter is a sketchy headcase, and this kid plummeted in the draft because he was a very poor decision maker on the floor at Arizona St. Green is (hopefully) the franchise player, him getting too attached to the other 2 and their habits may not be a good thing.

The talent is there for all 3, but it feels like a risky grouping for three 20 year olds.

D-rock likes this.
  4. vince

vince Member

This was my same sentiment. At first I was like who is this guy --- But he was highly regarded coming out of high school. He was slowed down by injuries and fell below some of the guys he was ranked coming out of HS. But, the guys 19 and still had a decent season at Arizona.

I'm not going to be doing Kart Wheels after this pick, but I can see the logic in going this route.

Grimes getting picked here would have made Houston fans happy, but Stone has to go with his metrics and the people he pays. What's to say if Christopher had gotten picked, Grimes would have been our pick.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Funny, the little bit I saw him in the combine scrimmages I made a mental note that he was one guy I didn't want. Made a series of poor decisions and just didn't look good. I was really hoping for Grimes, but it forces me to actually look at Josh's tape now.

First 3 picks I'm thrilled with, this one requires some more thought and research.

King1, D-rock, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

is Isiah Todd a better pick?

7. AnHero

AnHero Member

Christopher seems to make really hard plays/finishes look easy. He also shot almost 50% from 3 in his last 6 games. Tons of upside.

vator and hakeem94 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if only harden had decided to shoot some midrange... hed be perhaps still here

9. StevieCrossover

Stone gotta have some good players to win the Vipers g league championship

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This dude is 6'5 with sheer athleticism and you're comparing him to a short player that has never dunked?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Luke likes him, that’s a plus in Christopher's corner, but I'm not crazy about the pick. There was a lot of talent for him to compete against still out there at that spot (still is). Maybe he'll surprise me. I hope so.

#111 Deckard, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  12. QuaDouble

QuaDouble Member

Is Josh Christopher the Wish version of Jalen Green?

D-rock likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

fantastic! I love this guy already and hope they dont trade him

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Can he play as a part time backup point guard?

D-rock likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I trust your scouting, you're a great cf member!

D-rock and ryano2009 like this.
  16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He could be Greens backup once EG is gone.

D-rock likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is one of the reasons they took him. Along with having high upside...and being Jalen's boy.

I would have taken Grimes or Springer (Butler too, but his health issues dropped him big time), but I'd imagine the Rockets would point to Josh's ability to handle the rock, dish, and create his own shot. While Quentin's 21 (and waay more NBA ready), Josh is only 19....
    I think Jalen's presence really kept us from taking Q.

groovemachine, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

Nepotism pick? :D

[​IMG]

Hope Josh Christopher surprises us.

D-rock likes this.