1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Passage] It’s Time To Ban The Sale Of Pickup Trucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 17, 2021.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If everyone was practical, then everyone would be driving minivans and Priuses. I drive a 20 year expedition that I treat like a truck. I only use it when I can't fit stuff in my full size sedan and it gets driven 2K miles a year, so I find it weird that people don't use their truck more. I only tow something once or twice a year since I don't own a boat anymore.

pgabriel likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree to that. I grew up in the Pearland/Friendswood/Alvin area of Houston where basically every dude had a jacked up F150 or Chevy for the sole purpose of feeling like a badass driving up to school. I totally understand the cultural part, and I would tend to think that kids nowadays are probably not viewing that Truck culture as cool anymore in the same way so I think we've probably made some progress. More progress with kids than we have those now adults I'm sure.

What would be really great is if it could be much easier and cooler to have regular eco friendly cars or SUV's that had better hauling features where it was just super easy to stop by your neighborhood Uhaul on your way to Lowes and drop it off later that evening on your way to happy hour. That is now easy to do, but I feel like it could be even easier, and marketed better in lock step with car manufacturers. That could maybe make a dent in those people that just feel they need a truck even though they want to be better consumers of the environment, and be more "decluttered". I think there's alot that companies can do to innovate further to create at least some societal & cultural change around the need to consume with quantity.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The discussion is getting out of touch with how people view cars. It's always about status, whether it's feeling like the richest or fastest on the road or feeling like the king of the road.

Trucks are literally moving castles now that sedans crumple up like coke cans. It's an arms race between soccer mom minivans and getting the tallest gas guzzler out there for bubba to pay off for the next 15 years

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

...but what will men with small penises drive?

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dodge Challengers.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. Buck Turgidson

Did you read the whole thing?

What do you think of the proposed solution?

Serious replies only.

eta: if you're gonna get snarky, like this:

...you should probably not be running around calling your canoe a "boat", if the pics I remember are correct.

#130 Buck Turgidson, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you mad bro?

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Authoritarian nonsense --- I like how it targets people they don't like for political reasons. If they were real about it they'd bad all cars.

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Tom Hanks’ Ford Super Duty, Airstream Combo Hits the Auction Block

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/tom-hanks-ford-super-duty-airstream-combo-hits-the-auction-block/

excerpt:

Few actors in history are as famous and widely recognizable as Tom Hanks, mostly thanks to his unforgettable performances and legendary characters from films including Castaway, Forrest Gump, The Green Mile, and A League of Their Own, to just name a few. But as it turns out, Hanks is also an avid camper of sorts, as he’s used a 2011 Ford Super Duty F-450 and 1992 Airstream Model 34 Limited to provide him with a home away from home since 1993. Now, both of them are going up for grabs at Bonhams’ upcoming Quail Lodge auction on August 13.

download-1.png
    more at the link

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Only fake liberals support authoritarian laws under the guise of environmental friendliness.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

working with L Ron Hubbard and the sea org I ( shoulder shrug)passed to thetan level 8 and am now certified as a real liberal

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This was posted before...

We're kinda boned with crazy gas prices and escalating climate change.

Maybe, just maybe it's because some cities are designed for cars over people?

#137 Invisible Fan, Jun 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022