1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AS Philly GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I saw Darryl was trying to fleece the Raptors
    Van Fleet + for Ben . . . LOL

Rocket River

Slyonebluejay and roslolian like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Exactly. Trying to go all alpha male while your second chin is waggling, yeah, good luck with that.

bmelo and BallSoHarden like this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

Morey never embarrassed himself before like this and now he does it three times in what, a week?!

Ramo$e and roslolian like this.
  4. PatBev

PatBev Member

Morey has lost his god damn mind lol

Ramo$e, roslolian and BigShasta like this.
  5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Yo. Morey is wild

Ramo$e and DreamShook like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

His Philly bosses aint smirking lmao.

Ramo$e likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Morey isn't doing his job if he's not asking for the moon......

tmoney1101 and JumpMan like this.
  8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Philly fans are straight out pissed Ben is still on the team. LOL they are more delusional than CF.

Morey is gonna ask the moon as he always did. What he gets will be less but probably better than Simmons is actually worth. Can't shoot, exactly why I never wanted him.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

His job is getting the best possible price not really asking for the moon lol.

Just cuz he says he wants 4 frp and 3 swaps for Simmons doesnt mean it will really happen.

Ramo$e likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Duh. Do you start negotiations with the offer you'll accept or the offer you really want?

Morey is doing his job.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

The negotiation started with that dude from Pacers and a pick. Negotiations are supposed to be a progression, if somebody offers you 5 and you think that's too low, your next offer is 8, not 2000. If your demand is too outlandish then you price yourself out of the market already and people wont bother with you as its a waste of time.

If there was a hot market for Simmons it should've been done before the draft ended. Now the teams rumored in the market for Simmons got their dudes already, specifically Toronto got Scottie Barnes after Morey asked for OG, 4 and another pick lmao. I cant think of a more direct "F You" move from 1 GM to another than this.

12. dmoneybangbang

Look, I get you don't like Morey but I don't know what you realistically expect him to do? It isn't even the GM's decision, it's always the owners.

I don't think a top 5 pick was ever in the cards for Ben Simmons. And we truly have no idea what is being offered across the board, we just get tidbits that are often released purposefully.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh, lordy, what a sight to behold.

Rocket River and roslolian like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I like Morey, in fact I was a Morey fanboy until around the first Cp3 trade where I felt like he jumped the shark. I'm not blind to his flaws, one of which is he seems to posture to much and not get deals done. How many times past 9 years Rox were reportedly close to a deal but nothing ever materialized? Sometimes getting a suboptimal deal is better than not getting a deal at all.

We know Pacers offered them Brogdon and 13 for Simmons. I would've taken that deal, get rid of a liab and turn it into a perimeter threat. I mean if they dont like it, then Lowry+assets should've been done, pair Embiid with a pg they needed. Asking for Lowry, Vanfleet, 4 and a pick lol wtf why would Toronto agree to that? Instead of doing the trade they directly took Barnes who is like a clone of Simmons.

I'm not a Philly fan, but if I was I'd be mad how Simmons was handled. He should've been traded for Harden but Morey postured too much. Now a trade didnt get done again and he still on the team. Will they go into the season with Simmons? I mean Philly is on a clock, they wanna win titles while Embiid can still run so having Simmons be a distraction isnt really helping them out.

#394 roslolian, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    bmelo and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There's something called good faith negotiation. This is especially important when your market is a small closed system like the NBA. This is not a bizarre market where anything goes. There are only 30 teams. Every GM knows all other GMs and likely will someday deal with everyone of them eventually. If you have a reputation of asking for the moon in every trade proposal, you are going to get cold shoulder. In a way, the other GMs are both your competitors and your colleagues. You want to keep a good professional relationship with them.

I don't know if all these rumors are real. I kind of doubt it. If Morey indeed asked for those prices, he either was delusional or thought the other GMs were idiots. Either way he would lose respect from his peer.

16. dmoneybangbang

Now that is a valid complaint about Morey’s MO which Stone apparently follows too. They both are constantly probing in order to get data on how other teams value their picks or this player or that player.

There’s also the PR side of Philly of making it look like every offer is being made.

17. dmoneybangbang

Being competitive and being in the mix to get deals done is just part of the game, it certainly has made ClutchFans into a premier fansite.

I'll just keep repeating, I don't think you value how much the Owner is always involved.

That's you and not the Sixers FO and Owners. That Pacers seems pretty underwhelming as a total package.

That Toronto package is overpaying but not as outlandish as you make it seem, especially if that was the starting point. Remove Van Fleet and toss someone else in for salary matching purposes, did that conversation happen?

LOL. It wasn't up to Morey, but Tilman and the Sixers Owners.

18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

^This Philly/Morey operating like this playoffs just didn't happen.

Glad we didn't get stuck with Ben! If Morey was really doing his job he would have offered the farm for Harden and rid himself of this problem. Long before he lost anymore value.

roslolian likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Again, I'm not sure whether those reports were real. They don't sound like it's just some probing. Usually probing is done privately between GMs. When something is reported in the public, it usually means something is being seriously proposed. Maybe it's some kind of smoke screen either to jack up Simmons's value (which likely will backfire) or to make Morey look bad. It's very weird.

20. dmoneybangbang

I'm speaking more in general about Morey's MO. I don't really view the Toronto package as something outlandish or improper but as a starting off point.

When something is reported, it can be due to a variety of factors aside from just making info public.