1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Scraps Aren't So Bad...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Landry's Tooth, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Stop worrying about how good a team is right now or even recently. That doesn't matter. Nobody cares. Being good is cyclical. It's about available resources - that's all that matters.

You're out there buying Canadian mar1juana stock and selling puts on Amazon.

And Tennessee would immediately be the most promising (long term) and valuable team in the Big 12 if it moved, lultz.

2. Landry's Tooth

I saw the numbers for the SEC reporting as 3 billion over 10 years... 300 million over 14 teams is about 21 million.

Someone else said the big 12 teams would lose 12 million each after the 2 leave. I used their numbers.

What's incorrect?

Basically everything you said was vague so it's hard to understand your point.

UT Austin has 51,090 students including postgrad according to wiki.

UH has 46,148 students including postgrads.

Elevating UH to play more state rivals will boost ratings. UH / Baylor, TCU, or Tech draws better than UH / UCF.

So again it's hard to disprove what you're saying when you won't cite your work...

3. Landry's Tooth

Weird, i guess Sports Illustrated is wrong?

Or are ther multiple deals and the article just didn't mention some other billion dollar deal?

https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/10/sec-espn-abc-tv-contract-leaving-cbs

4. Landry's Tooth

So your argument is Texas football is awful but there are a lot of alumni buying gear?

UH has a few thousand fewer students so I guess they would be a suitable replacement using your logic.

You're making the wrong argument. No one said they don't have money. I said they don't bring anything to the conference in terms of product on the field.

Oklahoma helped legitimize the Big 12 while Texas embarrassed it...

5. Landry's Tooth

You're making that up. Nothing what you just said is true...

;)

6. Landry's Tooth

"Stop worrying about how good a team is right now or even recently. That doesn't matter. Nobody cares"

That's just what a loser would say...

7. Major

Major Member

ESPN is not their only TV contract. The SEC Network alone brings in $40MM+/yr/school. But SI isn't wrong - even the article you posted contradicts you. From your link:

If the SEC-ESPN deal is worth the reported $300-plus million a year, SEC schools each stand to make about $20 million more in annual TV revenue checks starting in 2024, eclipsing the Big Ten as the richest conference in terms of annual TV cash.

8. Major

Major Member

Simply false.

If anyone believed UH could bring in the revenues that UT does, UH would have been in a P5 conference a long time ago. Size of school doesn't mean football fans or TV viewers. UH is partially a commuter school with less ties to the community, in a city that is focused on pro sports.

False. See previous post.

False. See previous post.

Horribly bad and incorrect math. See previous post.

Better?

9. Landry's Tooth

And how is Sports Illustrated wrong?

Thank you for fact checking jokes btw.. you're a few posts behind...

Btw, everything you just said is false and i just provided you equal proof as you provided.

Better?

10. Major

Major Member

SI isn't wrong. You just can't read. I even highlighted and bolded and made the text large for you. I'll do again:

If the SEC-ESPN deal is worth the reported $300-plus million a year, SEC schools each stand to make about $20 million more in annual TV revenue checks starting in 2024, eclipsing the Big Ten as the richest conference in terms of annual TV cash.

arkoe likes this.
  11. Landry's Tooth

That seens about right... the 55 million per year for the league is being increased to 300 million according to the article...

That would be 3.9 million to 21.4 million...

18 million is "about 20 million".

If I'm wrong show me the data because i saw a couple of articles that said it was 3 billion over 10 years.

Doesn't sound like so much when you have to split it so much...

12. Major

Major Member

I'll just yet again re-quote post #107 which you refuse to read for some reason:

ESPN is not their only TV contract. The SEC Network alone brings in $40MM+/yr/school.

The SEC isn't getting $20MM/yr starting in 2024, and their revenues aren't dropping - they are skyrocketing. Your whole premise is wrong because you don't understand TV deals or conference revenues.

13. Landry's Tooth

Seems like it's the SEC network money you are citing...

How reliable is that Longhorn Network money?

Seems like an offset...

14. Landry's Tooth

Like i said, there was other money not cited... SEC network is for all the sports but is revenue...

Still confused why this is being discussed. No one has claimed UT and OU don't make more money and the Big 12 less.

I think you're imagining things...

15. Landry's Tooth

I think you have a significant anger issue.

Define "sky rocketing"?

You like subjective terms...

16. Landry's Tooth

Also, you said it was false the Big12 revenue would drop 12 million per team. That was someone else's claim i accepted at face value...

I think you were just confused...

17. Landry's Tooth

I'll be honest, i own a business in retail sports and the UT merchandise doesn't move anymore.

I can go a month without selling a single IT product. LSU and OU are my top college sales.

I move about equal in UT as TAMU, UH, and Tech...

So there's some personal bias from observing lack of enthusiasm for the brand...

18. Major

Major Member

No, it's not. The claim was that revenues B12 would drop from $37MM to $9MM - a drop of $28MM. You created the $12MM by inserting your mythical "Btw, the Sec is getting 21 million per year per team starting with their new deal in 2024." and going from $21MM to $9MM (not sure why that's even relevant, but, well, its Landry math so whatever). Since the $21MM number is completely wrong, so is the $9MM.

Again, every single line of your original post was completely wrong. You seem obsessed with digging yourself into bigger and bigger holes.

19. Landry's Tooth

Are you going to apologize for being a jerk or do i need to block you?

Again, you are getting angry over nothing... just weird...

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Texas is Texas and any conference would give its left nut to have the Longhorns brand. It is what it is.