1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olympics 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HTM, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Damn! She gonna kill someone.

cmoak1982 and KingCheetah like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Literally trying to spike it through people's faces.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. Buck Turgidson

KingCheetah likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

They should try and perfect driving

[​IMG]

Sajan, VooDooPope and couple of d's like this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

She was a stud against Turkey. They probably lose that match without her.

KingCheetah and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. KingCheetah

In the interview afterwards she was clearly not happy about coming off the bench.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But she said it so nicely with a big smile on her face

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Hmong community here in MN and around the country are really celebrating Sunisa Lee's medal. A lot of them see this as a refugee community finally finding their place in this country.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/suni-lees-...g-americans-across-the-country-034201336.html

Suni Lee’s victory inspires Hmong Americans across the country

At 3 a.m. on Thursday morning, the daughter of Hmong refugees awoke to the buzzing of her alarm clock.

Mai Vang climbed out of bed, made herself a cup of tea and sat down in front of her laptop.

For the next three hours, while many of her Sacramento friends and neighbors were still asleep, Vang anxiously watched fellow Hmong American Sunisa Lee vie for the most prestigious title in her sport. There were as many tears rolling down Vang’s cheeks as Lee’s when the 18-year-old gymnast clinched the gold medal in the Olympic all-around competition.

“This is history,” Vang, a Sacramento city councilwoman, told Yahoo Sports. “In my lifetime, I never would have imagined seeing someone who looks like me on the screen competing in the Olympics. It was important for me to make sure I got a chance to witness our first Olympian winning a medal.”

Celebrations like Vang’s were the norm in Hmong-American households in California, the Upper Midwest and beyond. A community that has often felt oppressed or invisible erupted with joy at seeing Lee emerge from Simone Biles’ shadow and go from the first Hmong American to make the Olympics to the group’s first gold medalist.

So many people in Lee’s hometown of St. Paul, Minnesota wanted to watch her compete that her family rented a venue in nearby Oakdale and threw a break-of-dawn viewing party. Nearly 300 supporters, many wearing “Team Suni” T-shirts, clapped whenever she came on screen and let out a mighty roar when she clinched gold.

Halfway across the country in Fresno, California, a Hmong-American marketing director awoke to a barrage of notifications on his phone. David Lee screamed and then roused his wife and in-laws by yelling, “Wake up! Wake up! Suni won!”

“You grow up thinking, ‘A Hmong Olympian? Yeah right, that would never be possible’” David Lee told Yahoo Sports. “So to actually see this happen, it’s extremely inspirational.”

Who are the Hmong?
    The Hmong (pronounced muhng) are a people from China and Southeast Asia who fought alongside the U.S. during the Vietnam War. Their guerilla army guided U.S. bombing missions, rescued downed pilots and choked off enemy supply lines, saving American lives at the expense of thousands of their own.

When the U.S. withdrew its troops from Vietnam in 1973, the Hmong were left behind and scrambled to find refuge from war and genocid. Some reached America, only to endure culture shock, poverty and discrimination.

Maykao Hang fled Laos with her parents as a toddler and arrived in a low-income neighborhood of St. Paul, Minnesota in 1976. At that time, most Minnesotans weren’t familiar with the Hmong. A few weren’t very welcoming.

“I remember walking down the streets of St. Paul and having people tell me to go home to my country,” Hang, the dean of the St. Thomas University college of health, told Yahoo Sports. “I was chased and beaten because I was a Hmong kid on playgrounds and in public housing. I was denied opportunities in so many places.”

The Hmong refugees who first came to the U.S. typically struggled financially. Many spoke no English and had little formal education. Skills that they forged in their agrarian society did not translate to urban America.

There often wasn’t enough money in those days for Hmong families to enroll their kids in youth sports. And the few Hmong families that did manage to save up enough cash typically signed their sons up for sports and insisted their daughters help with housework.

“I did not have the opportunity to participate in sports or after-school activities,” said Mai Moua of Hmong.org, an organization that serves the Hmong community. “As a refugee who came to the country in 1989, what was expected of me after school was to come home, do my homework, cook for the family, do my chores, go to work and then bring that money back to the family.”

That attitude is no longer as prevalent in the Hmong-American community, according to Moua, but she says those gender biases “still do exist.” She is hopeful that Lee’s story inspires young Hmong girls and reminds Hmong parents of “the importance of raising children to reach their potential, regardless of their gender.”

That’s certainly the approach that Yeev Thoj and John Lee took raising Suni and her siblings in Minnesota. Instead of holding their daughter back, they encouraged Suni to dream unthinkably big for the daughter of Hmong refugees.

They drove her to practices and meets, scrounged up money for leotards and taught her to do flips on a bed. When Suni needed a balance beam at home so she could put in more practice, John took a look at the price and built her one out of wood instead.

The payoff to those long hours of work arrived this week in Tokyo when Lee stepped up in the absence of Simone Biles and emerged as one of the faces of these Olympics.

On Tuesday, Lee seamlessly replaced Biles on floor and earned the highest uneven-bars score of the night to help the U.S. salvage silver medals in the team competition. Then on Thursday, Lee answered every challenge from Rebeca Andrade and Angelina Melnikova to extend the U.S.’s streak of Olympic all-around champions.

Lee, still just a teenager, seems to appreciate the significance of her achievement to the Hmong community. She told reporters in Tokyo that her message to the Hmong was that “you can reach your dreams” and “don’t ever give up.”

Across the Pacific Ocen in Sacramento, Vang, the city councilwoman, had similar thoughts as she watched Lee’s historic victory play out on her laptop screen.

“Sunisa represents the hopes and dreams of our grandparents and our ancestors,” Vang said. “Everyone in our community is so proud and overwhelmed with joy.”

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. KingCheetah

Need more bmx that is a super exciting event.

14. KingCheetah

DJ at beach volleyball needs to chill.

15. KingCheetah

The horse dancing bullshit has got to go -- this is more exciting/ interesting...

Yung-T and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

Taking a temperature... maybe unpopular opinion. Summer olympics too many categories?

"There are 33 sports and 46 disciplines in the official 2021 Olympic program. That includes 339 total medal events." article

This year they added more. The new categories looks alright but there should be a rule, if you add one, you have to get rid of one.

Any you'd get rid of? list

#196 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

What does it matter? Watch what you like. It's all essentially arbitrary...Paris 2024 is going to have breakdancing.

18. KingCheetah

The 'ROC' is another joke that needs to go away.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Artistic swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, and dressage because they all involve awarding scores partly on artistic merit rather than solely athletic ability. I'd also axe trampoline and 3on3 basketball. I love basketball but do we really need a 3 on 3 competition?

I'd keep softball and baseball, but can they seriously make the field dimension bigger for softball? Why are grown women playing on a little league field?!

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

How about we combine a few of those into a new super sport...

Axe Trampoline 3x3 basketball - Anything goes for the gold!