1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

There's absolutely nothing out there about the Astros right now. It's equal parts impressive and frustrating.

vince likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Tatis is the best shortstop and got a very long contract at $25M/yr though it should be noted that it covers all his arbitration years. Lindor signed for 10 years at $34M/yr by he'll lose half of that in NYC taxes. Neither has a history of injuries at all.

Negotiation broke down over AAV as well as length of contract. Honestly he's between Tatis and Lindor when he plays. But he's averaged ~450 PA per season not counting 2020. That suggests a reasonable AAV of 30M x .75 or $22.5M/season. I believe he already refused $25M/yr for 6 years or $150M.

I don't see this going anywhere except to a long off season. He might even wind up like Keuchel with no takers unless he comes off his price. Unless the New MLBPA allows larger incentives as part of their contracts, It just seems like something that will drag out.

I still like my proposed framework of $20M base and $5M incentives for 300 PA, 450 PA and 600 PA so he could be the highest paid SS if he remains healthy. But I suspect these incentives are too large under the current CBA.

MoMobley and vince like this.
  3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

There should be no untouchables, just depends on who we are going after

Martes and Whitley were both “untouchable “

Htown Legend likes this.
  4. The Beard

Yea I love Buxton as a talent, but his inability to stay on the field goes way past what we have endured with Correa

vince likes this.
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If we did nothing else, I'd be fine. They upgraded the weakest part of the team that's currently the best in the AL...and hopefully best in MLB after taking care of the Giants this weekend.

Is it just me or is Gallo to the Yankees just a bad move? Why do they want another overly strikeout prone OF'er when pitching is clearly their weak spot and they're still way out of a playoff spot? Gallo doesn't improve them nearly enough to fix their real issues.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again, the Astros don't leak anything to the media. If the media is reporting a bunch of Astros rumors, its probably being leaked by design to get other team involvement or as smokescreens.

Htown Legend likes this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's always been my POV. The best player in Baseball has a price. Just one that 29 teams won't pay.
    Yep. Between those two, Correa would be the "healthy one."

8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The best trades are the ones no one expects or talks about.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

30 million a year is what everyone expects. It's the length that people will debate. I'm sure the Stros would give him even 35 million if it were only for 5 years.

10. SuraGotMadHops

I agree. I kind of laughed when I saw that. I have many frenemies that are Rangers fans and they were actually happy to move on from him. Adding another high K, power guy is a very 2015 Astros way to construct a lineup.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

2004 - Clemens
    2004 - Pettite
    2017 - Verlander
    2018 - Cole
    2019 - Greinke ( I pat myself on the back for this one. I suggested it about six weeks before it happened after noticing the Astros were NOT one of the 15 teams on his NO TRADE list.)

#1151 Marshall Bryant, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    vince likes this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think Lee is pretty much untouchable at this point. Pretty much in the Correa, Bregman, Whitley, Tucker category especially since he plays catcher.

everyday eddie and IowaAstro like this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

How does Dodgers farm compare to ours? Really want Bryant and Kimbrell.
    I think it really depends on how confident they are in Leon and Perez. You can buy a lot of talent at multiple positions for 35m/yr plus they will need to pay Tucker/Alvarez before long.

14. Fyreball

Verlander and Cole were both heavily talked about before the deals went down. In fact, IIRC we had a deal for Cole that fell through in 2017 that we revisited in 2018.

Nook likes this.
  15. vince

vince Member

Gallo is a very good player. He has legit HR power. He has a great eye, his OBP is like .380. He plays great defense, and his arm is top notch. Sure if he isn't walking or hitting home runs, he's getting outs and overwhelmingly by getting punch out by a K. But a .380 OBP is still very very very good.

The part I'd hate about having Gallo on my team is the K's... Gallo's swing for the fences produces a lot of strike out - and the only equivalent worst kind of out it hitting into the dreaded double-play. I'd say hitting into a triple play, but those are so rare that it's more amusing than frustrating.

If the Yankees can find a good place for Gallo in their line up, they will be very feared. Judge, Gallo, Sanches, and Stanton, but there will be a lot of strikeout with those swings. But Gallo did improve the Yankees line up - tough I don't know by how much as they've just imported their new strikeout king.

Just a side note: Where the Astros have a lot of plate discipline (for example Tucker has 20 HR and only 60 k's, Correa has 16 HR and 77 k's, and Altuve has 23 HR and only 64 k's). The Yankees have some good HR hitters, but they have much higher Strike out number. My assessment is that more good things happen when a guy gets the ball in play vs. a whiff. Sure there is always the dreaded double play, but a strikeout is ideal for the opposing team.

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. Fyreball

Oh, I understand. I'm just saying it's frustrating from a fan's perspective because we're stuck speculating on hypotheticals without any real information. It's not a criticism against the Astros whatsoever. I love how the FO operates.

vince and Nick like this.
  17. CinematicFusion

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course. But I'd also say that any tweets or blurbs sent out are also pure speculation... the media often knows nothing more than just rumors or second-hand info that usually isn't 100% reliable.

Every trade that has been completed thus far (including the Astros) didn't have a lot of rumors or leaks prior to them being announced.

19. The Beard

That’s cool. Cole Hamels did the same thing, and honestly, he was never a dominant starter again after that

20. vince

vince Member

And Tucker is a stud. The guy is looking like he could be the face of the franchise in the not too distant future. I scoffed at the Ted Williams comparisons when before he was drafted, but Tucker is putting up some quiet yet impressive numbers!