1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Astros officially announce their trade for Yimi Garcia. The Marlins receive RHP Austin Pruitt an

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by H-Town Info, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It was for Miami. He didn't get much help behind him. But even with the ERA, he's a significant upgrade over the trash he'll replace.

2. Buck Turgidson

Quit making this so complicated.

What he has done in the past he will do in the future.

Has anyone in this thread seen him pitch? Of course not. But just look at those stats, Baby!

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Should I read this as ~sarcasm?~ - or am I deceived?

< a loose quote by Matthew from The Chosen.>

If this is too close to something that breaks a rule, please disregard. It is simply a link to my favorite online program which I just quoted - sort of..
    https://watch.angelstudios.com/thechosen/watch

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The point is that it takes a reliever a while to better their ERA due to a bad outing or two and it's a bad indicator of performance.

It's better to see a couple of bad outings driving up one's ERA than a series of games where they give up runs... wouldn't you agree?

Buck Turgidson, msn, TWS1986 and 4 others like this.
  5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yimi's ERA of 3.47 in 2021 is inline with his career ERA of 3.41. However, his 1.211 WHIP is so far higher than his career 1.02. Still much better than Railey's 6.39 and Bielak's 5.26 ERA so an upgrade. Also always interesting to see the Brent Strom effect on a new pitcher.

TWS1986, eliefor3 and banzai like this.
  6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He’s gonna be the next Gerri Cole. Bahahaha

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Exactly. As long as Yimi is reducing the amount of time someone like Railey or Bielak is on the mound, this is a positive trade.

Buck Turgidson and TWS1986 like this.
  8. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Armageddon couldn't reduce the amount of time Raley spends on the mound as long as Dusty is in charge.

TWS1986 and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Interesting article on Yimi Garcia that includes a small tidbit that he gets a lot of spin on his 4S fastball, but doesn't get it to move much (wasting a lot of spin on bullet spin).

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

The Bret storm affect is not being discussed. Yah he is not midas who turns every pitcher to gold but I think he can make a pitcher with the talent to be elite into a good to a great pitcher

11. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

But if you really want to dig into his stats, if you take away all the outings where he gave up any runs, his ERA would be 0.00.

TWS1986 likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's only because he's a LEFTY. That's ALL THAT MATTERS to the old school manager. Even if he can't get leftys out.

Stephen66 likes this.
  13. CinematicFusion

Exactly what Strom says to Raley every time he goes to the mound.

homewight and TWS1986 like this.
  14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I do concur. I wanted to be a smart ass before agreeing, lol. Time will tell. I'm hoping the Strom effect will take place as well.

#34 TWS1986, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Yimi apparently has a curveball that is being hit hard and he throws it too often. I'm sure the first order of business for Strom is to have him drop that pitch (or limit it) and focus on his more effective weapons, i.e. the 4-seamer (high spin!). He also has a changeup that's been effective, but he doesn't use it all that often... or use it enough.

From what I understand, the core Strom Philosophy is: throw your bad pitches less and your good pitches more. I know that seems remarkably simple, but for whatever reason, Strom has been able to effectively impart that on our pitchers (and to an extent, Machete helps with how he calls a game). I personally am pretty pumped to see what Strom can do to help Yimi, if only with pitch selection.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Right now, he's way better than Baez...because he's healthy and actually playing. I realize that Baez is on a rehab assignment finally. Even if Garcia is slightly not as good, it still makes our pen way better as there will be less innings and roster spots for the Bielak's, Taylor's, Stanek's, and Raley's.

17. Buck Turgidson

He's actually smashing the ball everywhere but Sugar Land (everyone should remember to take this into account when looking at Skeeter stats)

from BA:

...De La Cruz did most of his damage on the road in extremely hitter-friendly conditions. He hit .358 with 10 home runs and a 1.015 OPS on the road compared to .271 with two home runs and a .672 OPS at home. De La Cruz is a good fastball hitter and has gotten better at driving the ball in the air as he’s matured and gotten stronger. He’s a corner outfielder who can play center field in a pinch, so he needs to show he can consistently tap into that power when he’s not playing in launching pads like Albuquerque and El Paso.