1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reasons to reserve excitement over #2 pick...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The last two #2 picks are Anthony Edwards and Ja Morant. I would be ecstatic to have any of those 2 join our core, no matter what we think of their ceiling.

I also think there's a strong possibility we move up or add a lottery pick.

joshuaao, linvetb6 and roslolian like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. TimDuncanDonaut

So going by the graphic, the lower the draft #, the more older draftees are out of the league already. (orange blocks).

#2 seems cursed for a high pick.
    #3, #5, and #9 stayed in the league longer.

[​IMG]

Deckard and Dubious like this.
  4. t4rm5la4r

t4rm5la4r Member

I agree with the OP.

Historically, only a couple of teams in NBA Draft Lottery history (1985-current) have won a championship with a player they drafted #1 through #4:
    • San Antonio (David Robinson)
    • San Antonio (Tim Duncan)
    • Detroit (Darko Milicic- This was a fluke as he rarely played)
    This list doesn't include Cleveland winning in 2016 with LeBron as technically James left the team and returned as a free agent.

Caveat: This information was something I read a few years ago, so there might be other exceptions that have happened since.

I want to get excited about whomever Houston selects, but history is not on our side.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Hahaha what a garbage thread. #2 in a consensus historic draft, and you mother****ers find a reason to be depressed.

JW86, daytripper, Mathloom and 4 others like this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

That's not the point... you can be excited but not expect Green to be Kobe... you're setting up for a let down...

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Seems to make no sense why #2 has such an outlier dip historically. However we are seeing first hand how we are f'ing up this pick, $$$>wins.

If okc trades up to 3 for Mobley they will easily overtake the Rockets in a few years.

harold bingo likes this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So far all I've seen on CF is people TRYING to be excited, and then some ****wad in the Mobley Mob coming to rain on his parade. I'm not talking about you specifically, but it's painfully obvious one group is trying to dampen the other group's enthusiasm. I just wonder if you would have posted this thread if you had known Mobley was the pick instead of Green.....

daytripper, Verbal Christ and Denovo like this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Well for starters the 2nd pick was historically a "consolation prize" pick after whoever went 1st.. Teams used to use this pick on raw, high risk players (e.g. Thabeet, MKG, etc.) and not necessarily the BPA. It's changed somewhat over the past few years with teams actually avoiding those raw players in the top 3-4.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Mobley Mob, Green Gang, both silly. No matter how excited you get over a player that will not make them better or worse or change the universal truth that will play out on the court. I'm not Mobley Mob, I'm Rocket Mob and want my team to take the OBVIOUS better player. It's not about trying to poop in any one elses cheerios.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

For the love of God if we are so intent on busting on #2 can we at least trade up from #23#24 for Sengun?

12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

It's the stunning arrogance that you believe that one person is OBVIOUSLY a better player, when people who are actually paid to do this and have access to far more data and personal insights are divided. They don't think it is obvious, but you and your ilk do.

It's simply absurd to be so definitive about something so unknown.

13. thething

thething Contributing Member

Oladipo is arguably the best player taken in the lottery that year, with only Giannis and Gobert taken later in the first round being clearly better picks. Can't judge the #2 pick being bad when the draft overall is weak.

Vivi likes this.
  14. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Can't imagine what this board will be like if we didn't get to keep our pick. Just be happy we kept our pick and the Thunder fans are weeping. If the player we draft becomes a star, that's cherry on top.

Vivi, daytripper and steddinotayto like this.
  15. CXbby

CXbby Member

I actually have not seen a single credible analyst that have Green above Mobley on their big board. You must be confusing it with mocks? Green became everyone's #2 mock ever since Houston broadcasted that would be their pick, before that Mobley was the consensus 2 on every mock as well.

Like I actually have been following this sht for an entire year and studying it. You got casuals coming in here hearing the Rockets want to take Green at 2 and see a couple of highlights and thinks he's neck and neck with Mobley, that was NEVER true. Rockets are making a franchise altering mistake all for a couple extra marketing dollars, and yall clueless fans eating it all up. It will take a few years when it is obvious to all in hindsight what happened but Tilman would have stole your money by then already. Suckers.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

did not realize the 2nd picks haven't been great for decades..

it would be so Rockets to get a dud 2nd pick..

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Based on Rockets history, our #2 pick in the draft will bring two more championships to Houston in 2045 and 2046.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

dc rock likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

I would rather be cautiously optimistic that Stone is picking Bradley Beal and not Evan Turner... I'm just not ready to assume the #2 pick is a lock when more than 50% of the time it's a disappointment.

20. Landry's Tooth

I'm not sold on Ja... he's inefficient and not great on the defensive end..

Look at Tyreke Evans and see how fast the it guy can flanme out...

We'll know in a few years...