1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Oliver: Historic Housing Discrimination

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jul 27, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I got the Bacharach reference...I just thought the entire line was quoted from a movie.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

money printing creates asset inflation, including real estate

easy money leads to rising wealth inequality between asset owners and poor cash holders

bitcoin fixes this, real estate will lose its store of value role as that wealth floods into bitcoin, and home prices will crash, making them affordable for the poor

few understand now, but they will

Oliver's moronic solution is to make it easier to go into debt, rather than making homes more affordable.

#22 Commodore, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I get it from both sides. :(

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That's what she said

Invisible Fan and rockbox like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The problem with this argument when you start it from slavery is assuming blacks would be in a position of owning a lot of land if there wasn't slavery

The first assumption is blacks being here if there were no slavery, certainly in our numbers that we are here

Secondly there are a lot of black families that are descendants of people who owned farm land around the beginning of the 20th century. Both of my parents have a parent whose family owned land in the early 20th century

Lastly most whites were poor post slavery.

As far as housing blacks owned homes. Since @Dairy Ashford referenced it, Greenwood in Tulsa was a nice area.

This is my point about integration. I'm not saying integration was bad but it ruined black neighborhoods when the middle and upper middle class blacks left.

This is slave mentally. We act like blacks, we meaning blacks, can't have nice black neighborhoods where home values increase.

Greenwood wasn't unique in being nice. A lot of the area in Baltimore that The Wire is set in were nice neighborhoods long ago

#25 pgabriel, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Dairy Ashford is addressing a PBS documentary on Greenwood. Actual Greenwood residents said integration killed Greenwood. Integration destroying black neighborhoods isn't a Revolutionary idea.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Your like on of them p0rn stars

rockbox likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wow him okay, I'm sure this was a very tough and close decision between multiple other posters

[​IMG]

Nook, London'sBurning and Andre0087 like this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Global Cultural Marxism clearly. White men should all be thrown in gulags with their wealth confiscated and redistributed to the not white men. That'll teach their ancestors a valuable lesson and insure everyone is equal...ly poor.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

That's funny but other minority groups with largely two-parent families have historically done very well for themselves (though looking at the group does ignore the plight of the individuals I am aware). But many do not also largely have rap culture repeating negative messages to youth constantly (though that has changed perhaps because rap is pretty main stream. I think most people regardless of race listen to it in the US). Maybe there is some truth there in your joke. Think about the advantage a stable home life gives a child with positive messages repeated to make them that much stronger in life. Then imagine a child left to his own devices in a single parent home and then imagine the repetition of negative messages they get from the negative role models they find in today's popular culture; especially pop and rap music (which I know not all of which is necessarily has a negative theme or bad motifs). Really it does have an impact on a person. Music is a powerful social tool and repetition is psychologically a very powerful mechanism used to implant ideas into the mind. This affects more than black families though. I would say this is a larger cultural issue that can affect anyone in a single-parent family and any child who has gravitated towards bad role models because they don't have them in their life.

That said, this post is about housing issues. As far as I'm aware, unjust practices like red lining have been all but eliminated and housing fairness acts were passed post civil rights movement. Financially, minorities are given hiring and school admission priority to get money to purchase a home as well now and can do so wherever they want. I'm not sure what else people want at this point, but I think people need to wait for these actions to bare fruits. If people want to discuss reparations please I'm all ears, but I think we need to eliminate selective hiring and college admissions then since the reparations will have taken place. If these reparations don't repair, and people think these discriminatory practices need to continue, then I have to say I can't support such "reparations" because it isn't really repairing. Which I mean, such reparations should measurably repair. So far I have seen many ideas for this, but none of the plans I have heard have actually repaired or been suggested in any logical or right way that doesn't have huge flaws.

#30 dachuda86, Jul 29, 2021
    JumpMan likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Unfortunately, it's one of those hate F videos.

ThatBoyNick and Nook like this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How do you get the basics of causality so wrong?

Single parent homes, "gangster rap" etc aren't causes, they are symptoms.

It's one of the go to right wing tactics when discussing this topic.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am not right wing. I am a classical liberal who leans libertarian.

14. fchowd0311

So you are a troll because this line about "classical liberal" has become a meme as everyone who spends time on online political poo flinging knows only right wingers say that so therefore the only time someone now says that line is as a joke or meme.

You are a troll. I doubt the crap you type is your sincere beliefs. Your true beliefs are this: "I think I'm smart because I trigger people and perceive intelligence as being emotionally manipulative".

And this outlook you have on intelligence is due to probably a lack of personal accomplishments where a individual can point to it and say "hey he's pretty smart" and therefore you need something in your life to fill that gap in your ego so you can feel smart.

#34 fchowd0311, Jul 29, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I am well aware of my own beliefs and resent you labeling me right wing and the other poo you fling. The truth is the liberals... the real ones... are not accepted by the far left establishment that plagues the cultural zeitgeist. Leftism is not liberal. Just as far right idiots are wrong too. Both are authoritarian by nature. You and others simply lack the education needed to understand basic enlightenment philosophy. Likely you resent such notions like many today who hate what created America.

Or... you are malicious in nature and not uneducated. That is worse.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Leftists hate classical liberals because they are there to call out the fake ones.

18. fchowd0311

I think labels are stupid. I'd rather discuss actual policy and why one policy makes sense over another based on historical statistical trends and economic theory.

I'd rather have a discussion about public health insurance vs private and the positives and negatives of each type rather than this poo flinging culture war bs about what is "left" and what is "liberal". All I know is with you, those type of discussions never happen because all you have is vapid culture war bs.

And again, back to my original point. Single parent homes and "gangster rap" is a symptom, not a cause.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

they are causes of problems.... they of course are caused by other factors. Or symptoms as you say.

And I think policy is key but it needs a solid underpinning. Which is why I enjoy discussing political philisophy. Sorry if it is not your fav.

20. fchowd0311

They are causes of problems but they are pervasive in the Black community because they are a symptom of wealth inequality, rather than the cause of wealth inequality.

It's what we call a negative feedback loop. Wealth inequality exists due to systemic racist practices. This increases the odds of single parent homes and a distaste for authority systems due to how they were/are treated hence "gangster rap" which then leads to worse outcomes due to those single parent homes increasing the wealth gap further.