1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the democratic party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 27, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's really eye opening when you actually see and listen the origins of CRT and the actual literal contents of it and how vastly different it is from how the media portrays it.

Hence why there are so many strawman about it "teaching to hate white people".

mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://theweek.com/politics/1003096/democrats-kamala-harris-problem

DAMON LINKER
    11:59 AM
    The Democrats' Kamala Harris problem
    [​IMG]
    Illustrated | Getty Images, iStock
    In a provocative Substack post, Matthew Yglesias suggests that vice president Kamala Harris poses a serious problem for the Democratic Party. On the one hand, she's quite likely to be her party's next presidential nominee, in either 2024 or 2028 (depending on whether 78-year-old Joe Biden runs for re-election and/or lives long enough to complete one or both terms). On the other hand, her popularity lags behind Biden's, and the general sense in Washington is that she's politically inept.

How could this be, when she's won statewide office in California on more than one occasion? Because California is an overwhelmingly Democratic state — and Democratic Party politics in California incline in a direction that holds limited appeal, and is even downright unpopular, in other parts of the country. What direction is this? One, for example, that instinctively blames "sexism" alone for Harris' struggles in the polls, even though there's plenty of evidence that female politicians are quite capable of surmounting that obstacle to achieve political popularity in the United States.

Yglesias' advice to Harris is to stop acting like her job is to win the support of the young, highly educated urban activists and progressive donors who play an outsized role in California and national Democratic politics. They already love her. Instead, she should aim to win moderate swing voters by tailoring her public statements to appeal to an imagined 50-something white person without a college degree who lives in the suburbs of a mid-sized and decidedly unhip Midwestern city (like Grand Rapids, Michigan). In concrete terms, this would mean responding to a question about whether the United States is a racist country by expressing the kind of hokey patriotism that comes second nature to Biden. Just say, "America is the greatest country in the world," and leave it at that.

Could Harris do this? Of course she could. But will she? I have my doubts, if only because so many Democrats from her faction of the party would view such efforts as a moral betrayal. Such Democrats see themselves as a moral vanguard — and they don't want to practice a politics of compromise with atavistic racists, xenophobes, and the kinds of simpletons who swoon at lies about the exceptionalism of America. This doesn't mean they hate the country. But it does mean that they place its greatness in a not-yet-realized future and don't want to pretend there's much worth embracing about its past.

Does Kamala Harris view the country this way? Is she willing to break from it in order to win? Is she even able to see that she needs to? Those are the questions we can't yet answer but that are likely to determine her electoral viability going forward.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He's triggered. His meds need tweaking...

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's a little too early to be debating what Kamala Harris' presidential campaign should be. A lot of what happens with the Biden Presidency will decide how or even if she runs.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

why make a childish and unimaginative mental health joke when there are so many other more sophisticated ways for a poo slinging monkey to insult someone on this forum?

6. adoo

adoo Member

my take is that Biden critics have a Biden problem,

as none of their propaganda / lies against the POTUS have been effective.​

thus, they’ve resorted to picking an easier target, the VPOTUS Kamala Harris​

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-bi...ssives-spending-11627498020?mod=hp_opin_pos_2

Is Joe Biden Sinking?
    How long will the president’s old pals, the moderate Democrats, hang on for the descent?

By Daniel Henninger
    Updated July 28, 2021 8:00 pm ET

The country’s partisan polarization has intensified every year since George W. Bush won the presidency in the 2000 hanging-chad election. From Capitol Hill to Main Street, Republicans and Democrats don’t even bother discussing anything of political substance. What’s the point if 90% of the opposition is against whatever you’ve got? That leaves “independents” as the only thing that moves, and the bad news for Mr. Biden and his party’s immovable 90 percenters is the indies are in motion.

In mid-June, Mr. Biden’s approval rating in the Gallup poll was a decent 56%. It’s now 50%. Among independents, he’s at 48%, down 7 points. If you were in a plane that lost altitude that fast, you’d be white-knuckling both armrests.

Presidential approval as a leading indicator of party fortunes carries weight among political analysts. My other preferred metric is “direction of the country,” a one-stop consideration of everything in play. When that sentiment heads south, the party holding the bag of power is in trouble.

The ABC News-Ipsos poll released this week shows 55% of respondents pessimistic about the country’s direction, a 20-point drop since May. Among independents, the downdraft hit 26 points. As Joe Biden might say, “Gee, what happened?”

If all you are tracking is Mr. Biden himself, the answer is, not much. The president routinely shows up, does a competent job of reading something in the teleprompter, and turns over the fill-in-the-blanks job to Jen Psaki.

The White House used to say the $1.9 trillion Covid stimulus bill had saved the country, but it looks as if voters have pocketed that and yet are somehow out of sorts with the Biden presidency.

The answer to the Biden decline is deeper than first-term summer doldrums. It’s this: The most significantly defining political event of the past year was Mr. Biden’s pivot from moderate centrist Democratic candidate to become Bernie Sanders’s most progressive president since FDR. For months after his inauguration, one arcane progressive issue dominated the public Biden agenda: voting access. And more specifically, passage of H.R.1, the grandiosely titled For the People Act.

This political offensive ran on and on, expanding into high-profile assaults on Republican voting-process legislation in many states. It reached a rhetorical apotheosis in July with Mr. Biden giving a speech calling the Republican state bills “21st century Jim Crow” and the “most significant threat to our democracy since the Civil War.” Only from the progressive fever swamps could such hyperbolic nonsense emerge.

The issue and H.R.1 died. Mr. Biden and the Democrats wasted tremendous political capital on this windmill, which had minimal public resonance.

Despite reports Wednesday of a negotiators’ deal on infrastructure, progressives insist a pothole bill can only pass in tandem with all their legislative goals. Which are what?

I think the general public is by turns bored, confused or shocked at the rest of the sprawling Biden legislative agenda. If you asked people to identify what’s in the American Families Plan they’d say they aren’t sure, though they hear it’ll cost something like $3 trillion or $4 trillion, which seems like “a lot of spending.”

BidenCare could have been about one big thing—child care. Instead it’s about everything—and so ultimately nothing. There’s no there there. It’s Elizabeth Warren’s endless “plans.”

Unfortunately for Mr. Biden, what’s going on in the rest of the country is no overdue day at the beach that would let him survive the summer until some legislative victories arrive, such as a Democrats-only vote on the cats-and-dogs reconciliation bill.

In the here and now, this is what the average American sees: unpoliced urban crime, a nonexistent southern border, rampant homelessness, the Delta variant and vaccination hesitancy, federal confusion about who should wear masks when or where, store owners telling customers that workers prefer the Biden stay-at-home federal payments, and prices going up. Even for FDR, that would be a heavy lift.

On foreign policy, Mr. Biden keeps kicking issues like Russia’s Nord Stream 2 pipeline out of sight, and hopefully out of the public mind. But the implications of his decisions persist in public debate, such as the likelihood that his total U.S. pullout from Afghanistan will produce the unhappy visuals of a Taliban bloodbath.

Hey, let’s watch the Olympics! What Olympics?

I almost forgot: There’s Joe Biden himself. He’ll always be the 46th U.S. president, but Mr. Biden turns out to be an unfixably imperfect messenger for a message that on any given day is half-baked (the border, Covid masks) or overbaked (“human” infrastructure).

Mr. Biden is a lifetime practitioner of legendary House Speaker Sam Rayburn’s adage that “if you want to get along, you have to go along.” Instinctively, Mr. Biden chose to go along with the Washington-based takeover of his party by the arriviste left. Result: He has fallen fast to 50% approval. He is sinking. How long will his old pals, the moderate Democrats, hang on for the descent?

Appeared in the July 29, 2021, print edition.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I think for everyone's sake we hope she doesn't.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

King1 likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the article:
    "While the plan does not include a detailed timeline or specific policy actions to be taken, the 18-page report organizes Harris’s strategy into several pillars, including addressing economic insecurity and inequality, combating corruption and strengthening democratic governance and promoting respect for human rights.

The pillars also include addressing violence and crimes committed by criminal gangs and trafficking networks, as well as curbing sexual, gender-based and domestic violence. "

Sounds like some pretty good ideas.

11. fchowd0311

Don't assume everyone shares your opinion.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I don't see any evidence from what he said that he assumes that

King1 likes this.
  13. King1

I didn't. That won't stop me from calling her a clown.

14. King1

@fchowd0311 I'd love to hear your thoughts on Sarah Palin as opposed to Harris. Leave the racism out if you can

15. fchowd0311

Sarah Palin was a beauty queen and has a undergrad communications degree while Harris has a Law Degree from University of California.

That alone says she tried harder in school at the very least or is more intelligent or a combo of both.

16. King1

I'd disagree. I did better in school than most people and definitely know plenty who put in more effort than me. That's certainly not a barometer. Harris also slept her way into her position. That's undisputed. She's a terrible human who doesn't belong where she is.

I don't think she has the intelligence of a fire hydrant (for the record I don't think Palin does either). My comparison is apt though. They are quite similar in lacking

17. fchowd0311

I have something objective to point to that correlates to more intelligence or work ethic. You have nothing besides subjective takes.

Yes, not all people with higher academic success are more intelligent than someone with less but it's a trend and at least I can point to something that shows a trend that more like Harris is more intelligent.

"Intelligence of a fire hydrant" has no meat to it. You aren't pointing at something that warrants that term. You can if you want point to stuff that you think might warrant it.

18. King1

You are the most racist person on the board (which says something). You literally hate white people. I don't care to have any conversation with you. Enjoy being a terrible human being

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a well informed post.

Rileydog likes this.
  20. King1

You're a political shill. Don't value your opinion