1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I never even thought of De La Cruz as a prospect, so for a functional middle reliever this is great.

Every added arm pushes some garbage out. It's not just about how good they are, it's about how much better they are than the guy they're displacing from the roster.

I'm guessing Garcia's prorated salary keeps us just under the tax. If there's another move, it's likely a big one.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Appreciate the intel!

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Love these moves but still holding out hope for a bigger deal.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hard to envision improvements to the order other than Straw and Maldy and Maldy brings much more than a bat, and Straw is very good defensively. Im not buying too much Bryant smoke. Would shipping out Urquidy or Garcia for Sherzer be worth it? After typing that sentence I feel like I should walk to my mirror and slap the taste out of my mouth, but deep down I like the guys we have even if they arent top tier - thats even assuming Sherzer would want to be here to begin with. Aledmys coming back makes me feel good about the utility position.

Feels nice to have some competent arms in the pen though I will say. Jiminy Click for the win!

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is where I am at. I'm still hoping some other team is willing to bet big on Meyers.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Astros have been active in trade talks with the Cubs off and on over Kimbrel and most recently they have shown a strong interest in Kris Bryant. The Giants also have offers out to the Cubs. The Cubs want more than what has been offered.

The Astros were one of the last teams in discussions for Marte before the A's made a pitcher available everyone assumed wasn't available.

The Astros have spoken to the Nets about Scherzer but he prefers the NL and the West coast.

The Astros and Red Sox have been two of the most active teams in the AL trade market..... the Red Sox are likely going to end up with at least one big name player from the Cubs in a deal.

The Dodgers are checking on starting pitching and the Rays are trying to add a star if possible.

The Rockies had been asking for A LOT for Story....

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I like the Garcia trade. Extracting sure fire major league value out of a fringey prospect like De La Cruz is great. De La Cruz May end up being a decent player but he carries a lot of risk. Good trade.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I believe the Bryant smoke because it has been consistent in my ear for weeks.... but I agree the fit is weird, although he can play all over the field.

Would I ship out Urquidy for Scherzer? Am I getting him to sign an extension? Where else is he likely to end up?

FWIW Scherzer apparently has a strong California preference but it is only a preference.... expect Scherzer to get what he wants from the team he is traded to, be that in the form of an extension of guarantees.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If "tax considerations" are really a big thing for Max going to Cali is contradictory. He could come here and reap the tax benefits and win a ring. I cant help but do a happy dance if Sherzer ends up here and Justin decided to give us another year. That would be swell. I would probably give up Urquidy + or Garcia + to make it happen.

How about Bregman for Bryant and Kimbrel? I like Breggy alot, but its a business right? Not sure if Click is THAT cut throat though.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I keep hearing talking heads claim that the trades made by the Astros show that the Astros ownership wants to stay below the tax line.

This is false, the owner wants to go OVER the tax line but he and the GM only want to do so for a major addition..... they aren't going to be penalized for adding a long reliever that puts them right over the tax line... and from a baseball standpoint that is very smart.

Crane has told his people to see what they can get done and if at all possible, Crane will approve the move.

12. raining threes

Yep, I take back my Click's to conservative take.

Lets add some offense.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

Not sure if already posted, but Pruitt DFA’d for Montero

14. Buck Turgidson

You gotta eat waaaay more crow than this, no matter how things work out. :)

15. Buck Turgidson

I'm still confused, did the Stros put Montero onto the 40-man? And why, if they didn't have to?

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Isn't he on the active 26?

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes. Montero got traded (has to stay on 40-man) before clearing waivers (gets off 40-man).

18. Buck Turgidson

Gotcha, didn't realize he didn't clear waivers after they DFA'd him.

Glad you're here to keep me in line.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Crane continues to prove that he's easily the best owner in this city, and one of the best owners in all American sports.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bud Adams is running 2nd right now.

mikol13 and Fyreball like this.