1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reasons to reserve excitement over #2 pick...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

This list also overlooks the strength of those draft classes most of which were weak. KD,GP, Kidd,Zo are the best #2's ever if i can remember the full last off the top of my head(lottery era). We've heard many experts say there's 3 guys who could be #1 picks in most years. Suggs would even be a #1 pick in many of the especially weak drafts.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

For the season, yes we sucked. What I was referring to was the teams that are perpetually in the lottery.

3. alethios

alethios Member

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Cocaine is a helluva drug

Verbal Christ and ROXTXIA like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Darknesses, darknesses!"

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's awesome. But, the League owed us for moving James to the Nets and stealing a Championship. Plus we're the fourth largest city in the country.
    Silver did what he was supposed to do.

Verbal Christ and jb86 like this.
  7. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Jalen Green will be more of a Kevin Durant or Isiah Thomas type of guy than a Hasheem Thabeet or Michael Beasley

Dobbizzle likes this.
  8. jb86

jb86 Member

Facts. We will champions again. And soon in my personal opinion.

Verbal Christ and Plowman like this.
  9. PatBev

PatBev Member

How about get out of here with this negative **** cause we coming for the play-in games no matter who we pick

10. alethios

alethios Member

If Silver really wanted to do us a solid, he would have ensured we got the #1 pick :D

Plowman likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

In fairness to Dumars, Darko would have gone #1 in just about any other draft. He was huge, mobile, had a high skill level and tested extremely well. His problem wasn't a lack of talent, it was what was between his ears. Almost anyone else sitting at #2 would have taken Darko.

There are some reaches historically but Darko wasn't one of them... he was largely viewed as the second best prospect and there were even some claiming he would be the BEST prospect in that draft.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Every draft is different as well.

Some drafts have a clear cut #1 pick and then are soft for the next 2-5 picks, but have good talent in the 20's.

This draft is "meh" for #1, but is very strong overall 1-5.... and then weak until the 20's where it is strong again.

The reality is out of Cunningham, Green, Mobley, Suggs and Barnes... one or two of them will disappoint and a few of them will likely be multiple all stars.

This is a good draft to be picking second...... I expect ONE of Green and Mobley to be better than Cunningham (who will be quite good), and the Rockets are in the spot to pick which they want to gamble on.

That is to say picking #2 in one draft can be equal to picking 6th in a different draft.... have to look at the board and the positioning and compare it relative to prior recent drafts....

For example I would rather pick 12th in next years draft, compared to 7-8th in this draft.... because there are no clear players with #7 value in this draft, and I would argue that in prior drafts there were BETTER prospects sitting at #10-12.

13. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

The real reason to reserve excitement over the number 2 pick

upload_2021-7-28_13-47-59.png

groovemachine and Landry's Tooth like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. DonatelloLimestone

I'm not sure if this is real or not, but you sound exactly as what I'd imagine pat beverly would stay. Love that dude, so I'm giving this a thumbs up. I definitely hope we always have a Beverly a PJ grit on our team. Tate and KMJ...I'm looking at you guys to bring that toughness

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. DonatelloLimestone

Thats what I'm hoping to do next year. All the chatter of us moving up, I think cade will be solid or impressive, but i'd rather save all our assets an then try to go in all next year for a no 2 or no1, it seems with Bates, Holgrem and some of these internationals we may find our cornerstone next summer

17. DonatelloLimestone

I'm not too worried about him here.

Outside of superstar contracts, yes including westbrook., rookie contracts are your best bang for buck in the nba. The high picks are coming in with a lot of hype and interest, now these guys also have social media followings in tow(so guys like Zion and green came in with more followers than luka did), and you have them loaded for 4 years of cheap pay.

Its a can't miss deal for tlman and we have a solid top 3 to pick from both this year and next year.

Its just about hoping one of them doesnt go full Thabeet and stone has a lot of promise bc at least for the sleepers, he chose great ones CHoosing at the top is a different game but we're in a good position. After a year where we had 0 important games, its refreshing to be excited again.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  18. raspar

raspar Member

Stop with your sound logic. Fanbois cannot compute.

HTown_TMac likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

I feel the same way but believe we have that with Porter and need someone to hide his weaknesses by playing d and spacing the floor as a reliable receiver from him for spot up 3s. I think that can be had later in the draft.

If no Porter I'm 100% Green camp...

I'm ultimately good with trusting stones judgment...

20. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Just seeing poor Jalen Green munching on chicken strips that are likely all bread and some Great Value frozen fries keeps me worried about Tilly - regardless of players, contracts, or our front office personnel…

1970s jet too :confused: