1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's a fair take.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'd agree that a replacement level player would be his floor, but I'm not sure he couldn't have a higher ceiling.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Toro could be a .250 and 25-30 homer guy at his peak, imo.

#923 Tomstro, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This is why I think they made the move and why everyone who focuses on near term results gives the Astros a high grade. I'm just saying there is a reason for the Mariners to do this deal. It's called NEXT YEAR, and the year after that and the year after that, and the year after that.

vince likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You said Luhnow didn't go by strictly analytics. GMs in the past have ignored information and went with hunches (i.e., they weren't like Luhnow and did not have his background). For someone like Luhnow that is open to assessing/obtaining information within reason and determining if the information is useful or crap, Luhnow would to have to purposely try to hurt the Astros to not have been strictly using analytics. This isn't to say Luhnow didn't have biases, but relative to other GMs he did not let biases affect him as much from doing whatever it took to win.

On risks that Luhnow took, I doubt any of them were as safe as trading Toro/Smith for Graveman. It is a small sample, but Click has seemed much safer than Luhnow.

Milos likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There are organizational decisions, strategic decisions and tactical decisions. The press and most fans only consider the tactical onfield decisions and organizational off field decisions.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

#927 J.R., Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If we can find a way to upgrade CF it would make us a tough out 1-9.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. CinematicFusion

We need to go after Charlie Morton. Fools gold for Braves to think they could do anything in the playoffs. Just happen to be in a weak division

raining threes and Milos like this.
  10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Would have liked Givens. Has been really really good outside of Coors with a 0.82 ERA, 1.091 WHIP, and no HRs in 11 games.

They might become sellers on Friday.... 4 games out from the Mets but are playing them today and tomorrow. They could wake up Friday 2 games out or 6 games out...

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Similar to the Yankees looking at the A's/Mariners as primary competition... they're going to buy.

Anything can happen in the playoffs.

12. vince

vince Member

Yes, I'm thinking Toro will etch a nice career for himself. With this being for practically a rental, we must be prepared for constantly being reminded of this trade. But I am fully expecting that Toro will become a core member of the Mariners future (maybe a fringe all-star, because all-star 3rd baseman are typically in 900+ OPS - I'm thinking Toro will sit about .800 - .835 OPS. I think the prognosis for his potential far out weighted Ramon Laureano, and Laureano has fit in nicely with a core group for the "A's".

But it was a move that needed to be made to improve the chances of minimizing glaring weaknesses for the Astros. No way would it be fair to send Toro back to the minors, as he's accomplished most of what he could do there, Toro need constant at bats in the MLB.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

As a batter, Straw is just below replacement level. As a fielder, he is well above replacement level. As a base-runner, he's gone from what? to pretty good. The CF position and C are two of the most defense focused positions, so you have to be careful not to get a better bat that loses the defense and speed. Straw is certainly not Metzger like or Everett like at the plate, but on a strong team, there are few positions where you can upgrade.

I'd love to leave this road-trip with Trout in tow, but that's unlikely. But it's still fun to think about.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

1-8. Maldy is still the everyday playoff catcher.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's exactly where we had JD Martinez pegged after 975 PAs. You never know.

16. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Oakland about to trade for Starling Marte

No Worries likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Marte to the A's?

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Do not like that.....

but at least he won't get a qualifying offer next season and could be a target for the Astros if they so choose.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wow! I didn't think the A's would be buyers...

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I have such a soft spot for Machete. He calls a beautiful game and is dead nuts behind the plate. Yeah his offense isnt very sexy, but his value added elsewhere is so big im willing to overlook it, so technically you are right it would be 1-8 with the occasional Maldy knock. Still pretty good.

raj87, BamBam and cmlmel77 like this.