1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[audience audibly groans]

noppeper, Bo6, dmoneybangbang and 5 others like this.
  2. BonziWellsGOAT

Ohhh you're sensitive sensitive lmao understood

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Disagree, Cade has highest floor but Mobley's floor is almost as high.

2 way players always have the highest floors.

Just so happens, Mobley also has the highest ceiling as well.

If Wiseman didn't bust, Mobley is the first overall pick.

Or if Mobley was in last draft, he would have been drafted over Wiseman AND Ball.

groovemachine likes this.
  4. MystikArkitect

Suggs has the highest floor. He's more complete than Cade right now as an athlete and floor general. Cade is being drafted on potential, much like Mobley. There's a reason Gonzaga was #1 all year and OK State fizzled out.

Mobley has the lowest floor right now as he's a net negative almost immediately when playing against NBA bodies. He can't blow by them or even shoot over them quite yet like he could in college. I'd say the floors go Mobley ---> Cade ----> Green ----> Suggs. But the ceilings are the opposite. I'd put Mobley's chances at becoming a force in the NBA at fairly low. Maybe 20%. If he had the tenacity of Green or Suggs he'd be the surefire #1 pick. But he doesn't. He's very mellow. And he plays mellow. The NBA is a totally different beast and not every player reacts well to it. Green has already had a taste for it and Suggs will thrive in it. Cade? Maybe. Mobley? Who knows.

I'd still take him though. I'd actually prefer him to Cade. I've said it in previous posts that I'm tired of hero, no defense ball. I liked Green's answers today though. My biggest fear was him being a zero on defense. Seems like he's aware of his shortcomings there.

noppeper and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree to disagree.

I side with the analytics and the scouts.

But Suggs is #4 or #5 for a reason.

He is at his best in transition and on defense.

But struggles in half court because of loose handles and his inconsistency running PnR.

His 3ball will eventually come around IMO.

Denovo and MystikArkitect like this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Welp, Mobley is screwed now. Gonna have a Greg Oden type career.

7. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Drafting Mobley just scares the hell out of me. If he doesn't pan out, you've got all the clear warning signs, about having a bad body that can't develop, about being too passive, and not wanting to dominate. I mean, when you read these kinds of quotes about a draft prospect, do you really want to bet your whole franchise's future on them developing into a future MVP-type?

So yeah. I'd hate to be the one risking my career on figuring out if Mobley can develop that streak of dominance. And I'd hate to be the one passing him up and potentially making him yet another #3 pick who clearly outplays the two players taken in front of him. Green over Mobley could easily look like taking Jabari Parker over Joel Embiid someday. Mobley over Green might be Thabeet over Harden levels of embarrassing.

To me, Mobley is the ceiling-raiser; its abundantly clear in the modern NBA, no matter how great he is, a big man can be isolated and taken out of the game if he's unable to play from the outside-in. Meanwhile, Green is the floor-raiser; if he pans out, he's probably an unguardable force who can will the team to a playoff berth by himself; but he's not going to take you further than the first or second round as your lead dog.

treyk3, HTXSportsAddict, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His competitive spirit and hunger to be a great basketball player are the major concerns I have with him. Does he really love the game, or does he love the game for Dad? When he starts getting those NBA checks, is he going to hit the gym like a HOF maniac? Also, his apparent lack of interest in Houston, the home of Hakeem Olajuwon, makes me want to slap him.

We know one thing about Jalen Green, he loves this game dirty. That is tough for me to reconcile, even when I see Mobley do freakish things on the basketball court occasionally. Still probably 55/45 Jalen Green, and praying for Sengun. :cool:

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Way to take those quotes out of the context of the entire articles.

The bottom line of ALL those articles is that Mobley is a winner and his advanced stats, size + skills support that.

And Mobley CAN play outside-in. This is just 1 reason why he is considered a 2 way player, praised as Unicorn and likely prototype of the next evolution of NBA big.

And Green was guardable, even in a no-defense league like G-League.

All the prospects have concerns, but singling out Mobley actually defeats your point because almost every scout is projecting Mobley be immediate impact player and most likely to be the best player in entire draft when it's all said and done.

Best case scenario is that BOTH players become HOFers, like Dream and MJ draft.

But if only one of them becomes great, the best likelihood is it will be Mobley.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

HI Mana’s sourced quotes are about Harden. :D

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

and highest butt....not that I noticed. Scouts say, lol

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

[​IMG]
    mrw in 5 years when Mobley isn't even a top 10 player from this draft

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd go with Tjarks, Schmitz and Bijani over your sloppy dumbass takes.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm not scared to draft Mobley at all, I'm scared of not drafting him. He has KG's skillset and body type. If he had KG's aggressiveness and demeanor already he'd probably be the #1 pick. I'm camp Green because I think he has a high floor and ceiling himself, but seeing talk about Mobley being a bust is just silly. He's too damn good to be a complete bust. And he'll likely be a very good contributor even if he doesn't become a superstar.

blue_eyed_devil and D-rock like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. platypus

platypus Member

I was actually wondering why Mobley does not have a Mike Schmidt film study video. I love watching those as they give you a window into how a prospect perceives game tape and takes criticism. I loved the ones he did with Suggs, Green, Garuba and Sengun...even Cade did one.

It really looks like Mobley's camp plays it close to the vest... which is odd because you want your player to be visible for the late draft push. I personally think its a bit of a red flag.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It looks like in general, Mobley's talents are undeniable, but there are a lot of red flags on his motivation and assertion. It's somewhat worrying that his camp has only reinforced that idea by refusing workouts with the 1st and 2nd pick teams...

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Why isn’t there plenty of trade interest for the #2 pick at a chance to land Green???

Because it is obvious to any well run organization that Mobley is the prize.

blue_eyed_devil and D-rock like this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Dude the articles are all about Harden.

It shows that it's hard to predict.

Are you in auto-pilot or something?

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Schmitz is starting to sour in him, tone has definitely shifted.

Especially in regards to access from Mobley's camp.

Not just isolated to Rockets as I originally feared.