1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

KOC - "Rockets really want Cade"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Interesting if true. Despite people claiming that all the scouts and pros consider Mobley ahead of Green, there's very little buzz around Mobley going first. Really hope we get Green or Cade, though I'm considering Cade the consolation prize at this point.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shocker!

Pistons Deciding On Cade Cunningham At No. 1 Could Be 'Imminent'

A commitment by the Detroit Pistons to select Cade Cunningham first overall "could be imminent," sources tell Jonathan Givony of ESPN.

Both the front office and ownership are on the same page on Cunningham.

"Cunningham's standing in Detroit has strengthened throughout the pre-draft process to the point that it would be extremely surprising if the Pistons did anything but pick him No. 1," writes Givony.

The Pistons also hosted Jalen Green for a workout and a visit while they've been unable to schedule Evan Mobley.

D-rock, Vivi and jch1911 like this.
  3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is pure speculation on my part, but could Stone have feigned love for Cunningham to mask his true intent to draft Green? I mean he may be made an offer to DET and leaked how badly they wanted to move up, but did so to only fortify DET (and everyone else's belief) that Cunningham is the clear #1. Again, I'm guessing, but all of the Green sightings in H-Town and Scoot/Jalen social media make me wonder.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Detroit going through this whole song and dance when everybody and their momma knows Cade is the pick…like spending 10 minutes going over the menu when everyone at the table knows that you’re just gonna end up ordering the lasagna

D-rock, Chamillionaire, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I wouldn't put it past Stone or Eli Whitus to be capable of these kind of games. They have been around awhile in the shadows under Morey and around many other GM's like Hinkie, Rosas and McNair. @Nook would know if the front office is capable of this kind of smokescreen to get the guy they want. It would make sense but my guess is they are high on both Cade and Green but I have a feeling they value Green as much or almost as much as Cade and would be happy with either but obviously don't want to give up any extra assets to get one of them.

Shark44 likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

they are willing to give up extra assets for Cade tho, just not at the price Detroit is asking

D-rock likes this.
  7. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Lmao….

“you guys ready to order?”

( looks at menu)

“Na , give us a couple more mins please,”

( waiter walks away)

“ I think Ima just get lasagna “

8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

According to media reports, how do we know those are accurate (and not a Rockets leak) or the Rockets weren't just putting some feelers out (bluffing) in hopes that Detroit just takes Cade #1 and Green goes to the Rockets? I don't doubt that we are interested in Cade but not sure we would offer anything more than a future #1 draft choice (ode to Bill Worrell).

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Woj and Shams aren’t accurate? Iko isn’t accurate? Cade was always the overwhelming favorite to go #1 regardless of what anyone else did, so the Rockets spending weeks bluffing and attempting fake trades sounds ridiculous to me.

D-rock, Dobbizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So basically no one wanted to pay the bend-and-grab-your-ankles price Weaver was asking for the #1 pick. I don't blame him for trying and I don't blame any team (e.g. Houston) for NOT wanting to overpay.

jakedasnake likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

worrels is a genius and a truth teller....he knows its more important to know who to pick than where youre picking...and those who pick high are losers...if you know who to pick then all the picks are the same, theres always an overlooked great player

jakedasnake likes this.
  12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

They are reporting what teams are telling them. You don't think teams tell them the truth all the time do you? Cade has been the favorite but Green has been right there with him for years as a top prospect. Bluffing is probably not the correct term I should have used. I am sure Rockets are kicking the tires on a trade up but will be perfectly fine with Green + 0 extra assets given up vs. Cade + assets.

Basically not tipping their hand that they are perfectly fine with Green. What if OKC comes in and makes a god father offer for #2 pick? It is a good thing that Rockets have created all of these rumors and no one is really sure exactly what they are going to do yet.

Anyways, what do you think will happen on draft night? Will Rockets stand pat and take Green at #2?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So Green had a better workout than Cade Cunnigham!?!?

14. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

You know how this is going to play out around here, right?

Clutchfans 1: Damnit that lasgna ended up being terrible.

Clutchfans 2: I told you that you should have ordered the soup, salad, and bread sticks.

Clutchfans 3 : Olive Garden sucks. Should have gone to Carrabba's

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Green was right there with him in high school…in the past year, Cade has been the overwhelming favorite to go 1st overall…as in it’s pretty much been a lock

yes, they are fine with staying at 2 and selecting Green, but in your original post u said they don’t want to give up any extra assets for Cade…they do, but not at the cost Detroit is requiring since they are acting like young Bron is on the trade block

Green has been reported as the Rockets choice at #2 for weeks tho…Mobley Tribe tried to make Mobley at 2 a thing, but Green has been the likely choice there for awhile…the only thing we weren’t sure about is if they would go all in for Cade

I think they will stand pat and take Green because they are not gonna meet Detroit’s asking price for Cade, and at the end of the day, they are very high on Green

16. vator

vator Contributing Member

He was in OKC during the glory years of drafting. They took Russell Westbrook who only averaged 12 points per game to play point guard when a lot of people felt that he wouldn’t be able to. Lots of scouts thought more highly of guys like Jarred Bayless. Look at this old draft express scouting report. Here is a portion of it. Talks about him going somewhere between 10-20.

https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Russell-Westbrook-5062/

Westbrook at 19 was not what he ended up becoming. Even physically, he was always a good athlete, but what he became in the NBA as he grew into his body and went through NBA training is something else in terms of explosiveness and absolutely elite athleticism. Weaver knows what he’s doing.

D-rock and zeeshan2 like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Kinda crazy how his jump shot looked way more smooth in college. Not sure why he added all that elevation to his mechanic, probably didn't even do any favor to his knees.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cade Cunningham: The Most Complete Prospect in a Decade

D-rock likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It seems like Piston fans on their forums and subreddit are 100% certain Cade will be a Piston and are already embracing him as part of the franchise so expect with near certainty no unforseen surprises.

We are getting Green.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

....and he ended up a terrible player, arguably the most detrimental player to his team in the league.