1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Graveman has been extremely impressive this year and his stats prove it. "Luckiest reliever in baseball this season"??

So in your mind, helping to strengthen the weakest part of the team (the bullpen) doesn't improve their "chances of winning a World series" and "goes against reality"??

Click parted ways with a reliever who's been HORRIBLE this year and a utility player that's replaceable now that Diaz is back.

"It's just about value". Yes and you make this trade every day of the week because the goal is to win a WS this year and strengthening the pen needs to be addressed to potentially achieve this.

2. mightybosstone

Not only unpopular. Just a bad take overall. No clue why anyone would think this was a good idea.

Bregatron likes this.
  3. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Isn't the goal to win this year and next year and the year after that? And yes, Graveman's wOBA-xwOBA shows that he has been the luckiest reliever in baseball. That doesn't mean that he will not continue to excel this year. You do not have to believe it, I, myself am skeptical, but yes, those smart guys at fangraphs say a move like this barely changes the odds of winning the World Series. So everything he said is true, but you still make this trade to improve a weak area using a guy that has little avenue to playing time, since I do not think the Astros will be moving Bregman to shortstop. It also doesn't mean that in a few years we are lamenting that he has become another Laureano or Teoscar

Rodman23 and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. raining threes

Some posters over analyze analytics. These same posters also over value prospects.

Prospects are cool, parades are cooler.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Minny slapped him in the face with an offer. Im sure we could climb into the 100M mark for a guy like that. His durability would be the biggest concern.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

For any pitcher to have a .82 ERA they have to be very lucky. However if he was no longer lucky and still posted a 2.50 or 1.82 ERA it's still a good deal to help the bullpen.

7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

He was 51 out of 57 in save attempts as an Astro. It’s not a bad idea.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros are built primarily on homegrown prospects, trading veterans for prospects, and trading prospects for players. The Astros are built on analytics.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  9. the shark

the shark Member

Yes the goal is to try to win the WS this year and the following years, but who knows what position they'll be in next year and the year after that etc etc.

This years team is right in the thick of it, and has a very good overall record against the other teams that are serious WS contenders. Trading Smith doesn't diminish their odds this year or in the future, and Toro has been spotty at best and Bregman is the 3B and Diaz is back.

Does adding Graveman move the needle in terms of odds to win the WS? Not much but he's certainly WAY better than some of the other clowns they've been trotting out.

10. mightybosstone

He's playing baseball in Mexico for a reason. Even with the domestic violence stuff, if he was this incredible pitcher, he'd be playing in the MLB. But he's not, he's coming off TJS and, yeah, he beat the hell out of his wife.

Can we just all collectively move on from Osuna in CF? Signing him was the start of the Astros becoming the villains of baseball and indirectly led to the Taubman drama. He's not a good guy, and I want no part of him. I'm not saying every professional athlete in Houston needs to be a Boy Scout, but you gotta draw a line somewhere. Osuna crosses that line. There are other pitchers, guys. Let it go.

everyday eddie and eric.81 like this.
  11. conquistador#11

I'm not down with the Marte. Maybe if it was 2015. Hope that's just tv anchor talk.

12. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

You wouldn’t take Marte over Straw as your starting CF for the final 3 months of the pennant race and playoffs?

He’s hitting .305 with 7 homers, 52 runs, 25 RBI’s, and 22! Stolen bases.

13. Screaming Fist

I think this is fair. Click improved the pen as he needed to, but he paid a fairly hefty price for a guy who’s likely to regress, not improve, over the last third of the season. Graveman is also a rental so we’ll likely need to address this issue again in the off season. It’s a decent trade but nothing more.

I’m also not sure why Montero was included given that it wiped out a lot of the savings from trading Smith. Does Click think he has upside? Don’t really see it although I guess ZiPS likes him a little.

Snake Diggit and Astrofan59 like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros are pretty likely to be in the thick of things for a few more years to come. Next year should be interesting as the Athletics and Angels are probably in all in mode while the Mariners are an emerging team that should be a tough team at some point in the near future. Though, it will probably take injuries to prevent the Astros from winning the division.

On Smith, he was primarily traded because there was no way the Mariners were getting Toro without taking on Smith's contract. And the Mariners countered by forcing the Astros to take on Montero's contract which is smaller than Smith's. Overall, it probably opens up breathing room for Click to make another deal without fretting over a few hundred thousand causing the Astros to have compensation draft picks moved back.

On the trade itself, the Astros helped themselves. The Mariners helped themselves. I doubt the Astros could have gotten a better deal for Toro/Smith considering timing (deadline deal in a seller's market) and Toro's service time and approaching arbitration. I think the Astros are looking at the 40-man roster, and think they will need spots. Assuming Montero is traded/DFA, the Astros add a 40-man spot with this deal.

My only dislike of the deal is that I hope it isn't the "See I fixed the bullpen, and now I'm done" deal.

#894 Joe Joe, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

That's the problem though. Even with that he came out and said he wants to stay in Minnesota. I'd love to have him but I'd rather have Scherzer

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sounds like Sherzer to the Dodgers is gaining momentum. Ugh.

FWIW I really like our starters if we dont push them past 6 innings. Getting Graveman is really going to help out the flow.

In a series our 1-3 would slot well against anyone and the 4th and 5th guys will only bolster the pen.

LMJ/Framber/Grienke -- Luis Garcia, Odorizzi, Javier, Graveman, Pressly bullpen is nasty.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

There's literally no reason to think that, though. Click has been flat out explicit in his desire to continue upgrading the team. You might as well dislike the deal bc Graveman might tear his ACL tomorrow playing beach volleyball.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do think there is meaningful benefit in making a deal early. It takes the pressure off the Astros to make a move just to make a move. Also, if Click is finding the market friendlier on position players it lets him focus on that.

BigMaloe and Htown Legend like this.
  20. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Yeah Scherzer to the Dodgers would really hurt.

Completely agree on the rest. The Graveman move is being underrated.