1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Get Graveman for Toro + Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Drake, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is enough of a windfall to fit Graveman onto the team. Also, it will take less to shed Montero than it did for Smith unless Astros keep Montero.

2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I still think they could stand to add another bullpen arm. Getting the M’s best reliever for a 37 year old has been and a sub .200 career hitter (who may have been out of options) is highway robbery. We could probably get a great under the radar arm for some more scabs like Abreu, Bielak, etc

Htown Legend likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. raining threes

5. Buck Turgidson

True. I hope there's more to come.

desihooper likes this.
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Scouting report on Montero? Seems like he has upside as well

raining threes likes this.
  7. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

7.27ERA over 43 innings, so looks like he's the Smith replacement. Seems to be very hittable, so hopefully Strom can fix him but can't say I have any expectations for him

8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

He's been sucking. He was recently DFA by the Mariners. 7 of the last 8 games been awful. So bad that Raley or Smith would have been a better option lol.

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

He'll be Dusty's #1 option then

10. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Had a low era with the rangers so maybe a change of scenery and strom can fix him.

11. vince

vince Member

Major props to Click. I have a feeling that Torro is going to be a stud in baseball, but he’s boxed out with Bregman at 3rd.

I know Bregman could take over SS if Correa leaves, but there are other defensive options at SS in the minors that exude gold glove Caliber defense.

This move propels Torro into an everyday player or at the very least, consistent playing time.

And for the Astros, it gives them much needed consistency in the bullpen.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

joshuaao, King1, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  13. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

So what you're telling me is Dusty thinks Montero was the big fish and Graveman was just a throw in.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Dusty did mention in his zoom call that Montero has closed games before..... :(

15. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

This.

16. HookemHorns1250

Going to miss Toro. That being said, bring on the bullpen help!

17. HookemHorns1250

Also I just don't understand this trade at all. They are a few wins away from literally being in the playoffs (unless I read it wrong)...and you trade one of your best relievers away?

18. msn

msn Member

DiPoto is trying to pull a Morey--accumulate assets and make a bigger splash. He's said he isn't done yet, and this trade will make more sense in a few days. We shall see.

But, two thumbs up to Click on this deal, for all the reasons already mentioned by everyone else. Me likey.

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This was definitely a playoff move. Short term help NOW for a player with low downside risk and potential star status. Now if the Mariners acquired Toro just to be a part of a package, then some other team must also see his potential.

Just remember, it wasn't that long ago that the Astros gave up on an outfielder who had just made an adjustment to his swing (I'm sorry I can't remember his name, but I seem to recall he went by initials) and became a star for another team. Also many fans had already given up on Tucker after his first 600 PA or so.

There are probably other teams that see TORO's potential as well. Whether that is Seattle or another team that wants Toro as part of a package is anyone's guess.

Smith and Montero are eveners to make the deal work for both clubs. The primary trade was Graveman for Toro.

Sometimes trades go down as a multiple team trade. Sometimes they go down as separate trades with the same ultimate goal. This appears to be a case of the latter. It wouldn't surprise me if we find out that Kimbrel lands in Seattle which would make this trade more understandable. I'm not predicting it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

#119 Marshall Bryant, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  20. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

The standing say that they are a few wins from being in the playoffs, but all the forecasts say that it is an illusion and that they have very little chance to even make the wild card. I do not understand the math, but historically, it has been very accurate. Fans and players may whine about it, but most front offices have a better understanding of the numbers.