1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will people stop talking about Trump?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Haymitch, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's so different - the premise between both stances is that your vote doesn't matter. Whether it doesn't matter because your vote isn't counted or because the people you're voting between are all compromised is irrelevant - in my opinion.

You are right about NYT, WSJ, and WaPo covering good stuff. They do. They also cover a lot of ****. The NYT in particular, in my opinion, can be both phenomenal and **** all on the same day sometimes.

It still seems though that Trump dominates most political topics. Looking at the threads here, for example, they're mostly Trumpish.

Anyway I definitely have not conducted research on the % of Trump topics vs non-Trump topics in all of political discussion. I just think that Trump still gets way, way too much coverage. I don't care about Trump. Personally, I want nothing to do with anything that is even tangentially about him. So every time I see a news headline like "TRUMP SAID _______" I just think... God damnit. Not again. And I see it basically every day.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

You speak the truth sir.

krnxsnoopy likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Gotta keep talking about him because he's still a threat to democracy.

There is a lot of partisan motivated reporting in the news nowadays. News organizations are fighting for hearts and minds and ultimately votes with what and how they cover. Trump is one of those political footballs that influencers are trying to position in whichever way. If the liberal influencers stop saying anything about him, the messaging won't stop. The conservative influencers will have the field to define the public's perception of him. And vice-versa. So no one's going to stop.

Aside from the political battle, I think we're still not done reconciling with our past. He did some awful things as president -- had us do awful things -- and then capped it with a direct attack on democracy. We can't just move on and pretend like we weren't hurt and didn't hurt others. We need a Truth & Reconciliation process. We need an accounting of the wrongdoing and in some cases punishments and reparations. It'd be damaging to just shut up about him, like covering a wound that actually needs cleaning and stitching.

4. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

People still talk about Jesus, so there's a long way to go.

Do they hold readings of the art of the deal?

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL and this is normal????
    [​IMG]

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will repeat it. If most Republicans just accepted that Trump lost the election fairly and moved on from there there would be a lot less Trump talk.

7. edwardc

edwardc Member

8. dmoneybangbang

LOL.

Bro.... Trump is still campaigning..... Trump is putting himself in the limelight. Don't be a rube.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What has been fantastic has been Trump's twitter ban. With twitter, he managed to annoy me anew every day. Now, he still annoys me but it's more like the ache of an old injury and not the sharp stabbing pain of a new one. Whether his ban was justified or not, it's made my life better.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes, it's like putting that angry drunk uncle into a far off home.

You don't know when he's "fearful".
    You don't know when he's "teetering".
    You don't know when he's "getting mad".

And I feel fine.

FranchiseBlade likes this.