1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. Milos

Milos Member

Does Whitley even have any trade value after stalling out for 3 straight seasons and coming off arm surgery?

I have already written him off as Appel 2.0

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Forrest Whitley is not going to headline any trade at this deadline. The guy has fallen off a cliff. The only difference between him and Appel at this point is at least Appel brought something productive to the city of Houston. Ike's is dope.

Milos likes this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

he probably doesn’t have a ton of value, but it just takes one team to bite on a lotto ticket. He’s had some unfortunate luck, some own undoing, but he was recently a top 10 prospect in the big leagues. It just takes one team to punch the ticket, so who knows. I could see it happening for a rental player who otherwise isnt bringing back much in terms of future MLB talent. And who knows, maybe a fire under Whitleys bum is what he needs to turn his career around. He’s pretty much hit rock bottom. I think an MLB team could see some potential (and obviously risky) value, but no prospects are sure things, and he may have more upside than others being offered.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  4. CinematicFusion

5. CinematicFusion

he is a throw in with upside

raining threes likes this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Please let this come true. Bryant is the Correa offensive replacement next year and kimbrel pretty much solves our bullpen issues for the next two years. I had said that Leon should be untouchable but not in this scenario. What would it take in your opinion?

7. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Bryant would be leaving at the same time as Correa, and Kimbrel has a team option for next year, so it would only be for one year.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’d rather pay Bryant than Correa. I believe Bryant the more consistent offensive player that can play 3b or CF. Correa is a special defensive player with significant injury risk and has never put together a full year of solid offense. We have two potential SS of the future in the minors, if they aren’t part of the trade. Bryant and Correa makes our lineup historically one of the best in MLB history. Kimbrel and Bryant makes us the prohibitive favorite to win it all. Kimbrel would be the rest of this year and next. Bryant hopefully next 5 years.

9. raining threes

If he signs an extension I would trade any of the young guys but Framber/Garcia/Lee. Play him in CF this yr then move him to SS when Correa leaves.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Your move Jim Click. ;)

#810 J.R., Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  11. raining threes

Me too.

Very Luhnowesque

12. raining threes

Agreed

But I dont want Hinch back. A manager who choked away a WS.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Kendall Graveman

The 30-year-old right hander has been terrific in 2021, two years removed from his 2019 Tommy John surgery. Kendall Graveman is posting a 0.82 ERA and a 0.69 WHIP in 33 innings so far this year as the Mariners’ primary eighth-and-ninth inning option.

Chad Green

Okay, Astro fans. Before you roll your eyes, hear me out (or read me out): just because he plays for the New York Yankees, doesn’t mean Chad Green isn’t a really-good reliever. And just because our last memory of him is him giving up a walk-off home run to MVP Jose Altuve, doesn’t mean Green isn’t having himself a pretty good 2021 season.

Richard Rodriguez

There have not been a lot of good things going on for the Pittsburgh Pirates this season, but one of their few good things has been the player Richard Rodriguez. The right-hander is posting a 2.82 ERA with a 0.83 whip in 38 innings in the role as Pittsburgh’s primary closer.

Raisel Iglesias

If the Astros are looking for power pitchers and they can’t get Craig Kimbrel, Raisel Iglesias might be the next best option.

The 31-year-old right hander is an aggressive pitcher anchored around his upper 90 MPH 4-seam fastball. Iglesias is only posting a 3.34 ERA with the Angels this season, but he’s still generating tons of strikeouts (13.8 per nine) and not giving up a ton of baserunners (0.89 WHIP) in his 45 innings pitched thus far.

https://climbingtalshill.com/2021/07/27/astros-4-relievers-not-named-craig-kimbrel-trade/5/

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Bryant has bad overall numbers in the postseason and he's not a serious answer in CF. I'd welcome his bat, but he's played <100 innings over his entire career in center. He's a 3B/corner OF. Ketel or Starling Marte is a better candidate if you want a player who you can play every day in CF.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jim Bowden
    https://theathletic.com/2733817/202...estions-on-buyers-sellers-big-names-and-more/

Jim, say you’re the general manager of the Astros: Which relief pitchers are you targeting, and what are you offering? — Kunwar S.

I would target Craig Kimbrel, Richard Rodríguez and Taylor Rogers, in that order. I would dangle Astros starting pitching prospect Forrest Whitley straight up for Kimbrel. Whitley underwent Tommy John surgery in May and won’t be back until next summer at the earliest. I’m not convinced Whitley, even when healthy, will live up to expectations, and now there’s additional health risk. If that offer didn’t work, I’d look at a top-five and top-15 prospect for Kimbrel, a top-10 and top-20 prospect for Rodríguez, or a top-15 and a top-20 prospect for Rogers, who exited Monday’s game with a sprained left middle finger.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  16. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Mattician

Mattician Member

If not the Astros, anyone but the Dodgers on that list.

HTXSportsAddict and AznH-TownFan like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member