1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Mr Striker09

Mr Striker09 Member

Hardcore Mobley fans would take him even over Cade.

2. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Exactly n people aren't saying hell this man won't be AD one day. Idc if he would. It doesn't fit with us at this point in a rebuild. We need a guy that can be a 1 on a team. We may never get this high a pick in 20 years. I can get a project like Giannis in the 10-15 range one day later. Its hard being the worst team

Dobbizzle and ApacheWarrior like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

IG thots going thicc, but NBA players opposite. NBA forwards and centers are looking at runway model skinny for body goals. (slight exaggeration)

Lean muscles, conditioning, strong enough to withstand the large number of games in a season. Less brute builds, since league going more speed than strength. A guard can blow by a big, but it matters if that's two steps vs four steps before that happens. How long did the big stay on the penetrator. It matters less that the big uses his muscle to bully the guard driving, since Ref will call a foul so much as a big breath on a guard. It matters more that the big stay on the guard and use his length to bother.

As strong as guys like Dwight, if you look at his proportions, he's still kind of lean. Couple years ago, when he was getting bounced around, he said he cut weight to stay in the league. Some of that weight came back this year, but still.

#1943 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would. Just based on intuition. Probably wrong .

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

How big was KG?

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

This ride is not quite over and done with just yet.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Before the marketing and the politicking these were the clear cut top 2.

12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Honestly, this feels like Cleveland doesn't want Mobley. If he really was that good, they'll be keeping quiet since they are on track to pick him up. This actually feels like Cleveland is trying to boost up the stock value of Mobley so that they could get better trade deals or lure Rockets into taking him instead.

#1952 flamingdts, Jul 27, 2021
    ArtV likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

KG was listed as SF originally (which is where I had Mobley originally for Rockets)
    Garnett scored 10 points per game his rookie year. He was much more of a fluid
    phenom than Mobley imo.....but I will let the Mobley fans think otherwise.

Listed as PF after a couple of seasons.

In fact basketball-reference.com lists Garnett as SF/PF for his first 16 seasons
    until the age of 35.

Garnett entered the league with 250 pound Sean Rooks, Gogliotta 240 pounds,
    and Christian Leattner playing center next to him. Garnett avoiding most of the
    dirty work of 260 pound monsters leaning on him all game for 82 games a season.
    Which is what I mention here with the Rockets. C Wood had Cousins, Patton, Spalding,
    Lamb and 245 pound Olynyk to take the brunt of the dirty work this past season.
    I don't see any of those players with the Rockets this season yet. Maybe Olynyk comes
    back. Wood and Mobley under 220 pounds would need someone bigger to play next to
    them. Otherwise they won't stay healthy for 10 to 15 games.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    I'm sorry, but the Rockets will be drafting Jalen Green Thursday, and young Mr. Mobley
    will have to settle for a nice constellation prize of going to Cleveland. Mobley
    stands a better chance of teaming up with J Allen (if retained) than with C Wood.
    Jarrett Allen at 243 pounds that played in 63 games last season vs C Wood at 216 pounds.

#1953 ApacheWarrior, Jul 27, 2021
    King1 likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green is the pick but article is well worth reading.

Who knows what can happen down the road, could be another KPjr. situation, especially if he lands in Cleveland.

#1954 D-rock, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    vator likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

USC Trojans without Evan Mobley:

Offensive Rating: 90.7
    Defensive Rating: 115.2
    Net Rating: -24.5

USC Trojans with Evan Mobley:

Offensive Rating: 123.2
    Defensive Rating: 90.9
    Net Rating: +32.3

Here are Mobley’s box plus-minus numbers compared to other recent elite big men prospect:

Evan Mobley:

Offensive: +7.9
    Defensive: +5.8
    Total: +13.7

Joel Embiid:

Offensive: +5.0
    Defensive: +6.9
    Total: +11.9

DeAndre Ayton:

Offensive: +8.6
    Defensive: +2.4
    Total: +11.0

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A good read. The guy makes a strong case for Mobley, while also pointing out his weaknesses, mainly needing to get much stronger to improve his rebounding and being pushed around in the low post, that and his 3 point shooting. With time, both might very well be addressed with hard work and being part of a strong organization. It's a tough choice at #2, tougher than some will admit, in my opinion. Personally, I want Cunningham, but both Green and Mobley excite me, if for different reasons.

daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Here’s a veteran NBA GM, one day before the draft.

“The bigs have become a little bit like running backs in the NFL,” he said. “The running backs are still important. The drafting process doesn’t respect them as much. But when you don’t have one, you know you need one.”

We see it every time in the playoffs, when the game doesn’t slow down as much as return to its roots. Good teams with switchable defenses, the mental cauldron of postseason basketball and a half-dozen other things tend to be more impactful than the 3-fest that dominates the regular season. Giannis Antetokounmpo, seeing no experienced rim protectors among the Phoenix Suns, ate in the paint throughout the Finals. And the smaller Suns suffered further by not being able to keep the bigger Bucks off the offensive glass at crucial moments. Having impactful big men still matters. And this year’s draft has a few that project to be quite impactful, starting with USC freshman Evan Mobley.

After a strong pre-draft workout earlier this week in Detroit, speculation that the Pistons are seriously considering Mobley with the top-pick overall intensified – though our draft guru Sam Vecenie still believes Oklahoma State’s Cade Cunningham will go No. 1. Mobley certainly will go no later than No. 3 to Cleveland, which has been connected to him for weeks by those within the NBA.

After Mobley, there are fewer sure things, but a lot of upside. Yet the exec above is correct: it’s easier these days for teams to take a wing with 3-and-D potential than try to convert a college or international big that doesn’t shoot it naturally well.

The following, to be clear, is not a mock draft. It’s a cross-section of opinions from people who I’ve come to trust over the decades — people who aren’t in the business of lying. They tell me the truth — sometimes, a cold truth — and I don’t name them. It’s been a fair exchange over the years. They tell me what they like and don’t like about the prospects, if the young men are coachable or not, who they think their games pattern after and so on. As basketball has evolved, so have the position definitions. There aren’t “ones” or “twos” anymore; there are just guards, wings and bigs.

We started with guards at the beginning of the month, did wings last week and finish, on the morning of the draft, with bigs.

Evan Mobley

No one in the history of the storied Pac-12 has won Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year – until Mobley.

(I must point out that freshmen were ineligible to play on college varsity basketball teams until 1972; had they been eligible before then, I’m fairly positive a certain UCLA freshman center then named Lew Alcindor would have pulled off the triple as a Westwood freshman in 1965. Relegated to the Bruins’ freshman team in 1965-66, Alcindor produced to the point where Washington State coach Marv Horshman told the AP that year: “Unfortunately, I saw the UCLA freshmen play last night. What can you say? Alcindor is simply great. He can hold you off with one hand and put the ball in the basket with the other.” As it was, Alcindor – now Kareem Abdul-Jabbar – went on to win three straight Most Outstanding Player awards in the NCAA Tournament, leading the Bruins to three more consecutive national championships.)

Mobley wasn’t Kareem, but he was awfully good in his one season for the Trojans, averaging 16.4 points, 8.7 rebounds and 2.9 blocks. Playing alongside his older brother Isaiah, Evan Mobley led USC to the Elite Eight. Most everyone compares him favorably with Chris Bosh, the recent inductee to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame after a stellar pro career with Toronto and Miami. Bosh went No. 4 overall in the stellar 2003 draft. Mobley will go higher.

Eastern Conference Executive 1: Shoots comfortably from the perimeter, very good passer, runs like a gazelle, excellent shot blocker with timing and the ability to not foul.

Eastern Conference Executive 2: I’ve watched a little film on these guys. Cade and Mobley are a tier above, and then there’s Jalen Green next, then after that it’s (Jalen) Suggs. After Suggs, it opens up a little bit. Mobley, he finished working out with them and he supposedly blew them out of the water, compared to what Cade has done there. … When I watch (Mobley), that’s what I see as well – Bosh. I see a little more ball skill than Bosh at the same age, but the same fluid movement, the comfort level on the perimeter, the feel for how to move on the perimeter and in transition seems to be very consistent with Bosh. I think there’s a little more ballhandle skill than Bosh at the same period of time. Competes at both ends. Never backed down. A lot of games where he might have been challenged physically, but he didn’t back down; he fought.

Just a question of how much his body can develop. Any team that’s going to be involved with him is going to be on top of that right away. He runs all day, so is he able to keep weight on? Me, personally, I think he’s No. 1 because of what his ceiling could be, as opposed to the other two. Cade, I respect his skill set with his size. But I still think that’s something you can find. Jalen, I respect his athleticism and skill set and motor. But I think that’s something you can find. But Evan, that’s not something that comes along every draft.

Eastern Conference Executive 3: He’s a player. Evan Mobley’s a player. I think Cade’s going to be good and an All-Star player. It might take him a little longer. I’m not saying he’s Tim Duncan or Chris Bosh, but at the same age, he’s got a great awareness on both ends of the floor. He can really pass. He’s really skilled. And he can block shots. When it’s all said and done, he could be the best of the group.

College Assistant Coach 1 (his team played USC): Great kid, great worker. Skilled, basketball pedigree. The only box I would say that I don’t think he checks — he doesn’t check, but it could just be because he’s young — it’s that he’s not a killer. He’s just a good kid. If he can get over that, which he could, that’s the only hole I see right now. He’s a good ballhandler, not a great one. He’s a good scorer, not a great scorer. But he’s so freaking big and skilled and can make other plays, block shots. If I was adding it in my mental computer, I would say he could be an All-Star. He could be Chris Bosh. Or he could be a solid, good player, but not great.

At the end of the day, you’re just judging the output. You’re not judging why the output is the output. You look at his total skill set, he should be getting 20 and 20 every night. So when he plays and he gets 12 and 10 you’ve got to go, ‘hey man, why?’ He’s not an ******* like Kobe. He’s not an aggressive, loud talker like (Kevin) Garnett. That just ain’t his deal. Now, he’s just 18. Could he get nastier? Yeah, he could. … And you can physically get after him a little bit because of his stature. He’s not a wiry, fighter dude.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He should have been the #1 pick.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dont forget that Evan Mobleys dad and him to a certain degree DID NOT WANT TO BE HERE. What good is it to draft a "superstar" if they are going to leave after the rookie contract?

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised as the #2 pick

hakeem94, D-rock and Plowman like this.