1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets stonewalled: no individual workout w/ Mobley nor Suggs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's an interesting narrative I guess, seems like a lot of whataboutism mixed with confirmation bias fantasies to be honest.

ROXTXIA and cbass like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Mentioning star culture and KPJ is ridiculous on many levels, this guy probably has the value of a mid late 1st at best right now, he’s not a star he’s a very mediocre player with great potential

The amount of people who think he’s heavily involved with a decision on a #2 pick is absolutely nuts

vator, joshuaao, Mr Woods and 7 others like this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So True,

KPJ is sitting on 2 strikes and could be out of basketball with another off the court PR disaster.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think he’s heavily involved in the decision making from the Rockets perspective — not anything more than providing the type of input I’d expect them to seek from other young players who may have history playing against draft prospects in AAU and/or college.

I do think it’s plausible that Evan Mobley’s dad, who coached KPJ for his only year in college - which ended poorly for off the court reasons - may want his son to steer clear of the team where KPJ is likely to be a top 2 leading scorer and assist man in Mobley’s rookie year.

You can call that helicopter dad approach like Lavar Ball, but Mobley’s dad is at least a former NBA player, high level AAU coach, and high-major D1 coach.

Edit: Turns out wrong Eric Mobley - this Eric Mobley only made it overseas. Rest still holds.

I don’t know that it’s true, but I’d imagine Mobley’s dad has formed some sort of opinion on KPJ, and it’s probably not favorable. He may be all for 2nd chances, but it may also explain the weirdness around the lack of workout.

#324 NIKEstrad, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  5. opticon

opticon Member

I had no idea of the history there.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. DonatelloLimestone

Its just different personality types really I think. I remember inside teh nba laughing at dirk for saying that person was taking it to him that night(Forget which game or who) but they just said they owould never admit it or have that mentality bc they felt it gave the opponent the edge. Dirk simpy just didnt' care or let it waver his work ethic, like Timmy D. Jut kept doing what he does.

John Stockton is another example. Its not uncommon for people to have that mentality of putting your head down, working andgrinding it out. Derrick Rose is also another guy too.

It won't get you clout or views in a draft or media situation, but I wouldn't write him off just based on this.

I find it more worrying his lack of aggression on teh court. He seems he has the skills but the mentality of a role player. HE can still be a winning pat of a team lke issac, but its also tough to pick those guys and rely on them as catalyst as we typically expect of a top pick

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. DonatelloLimestone

So if Green, Cade, and mobley all don't work out for the rockets.
    Who will you select? Suggs or just the worst player?
    I could care less where they want to go as rookies. i'll lock em up for 4 years nad then offer them taht frist extentsion which is hard to pass and roll the dice if I feel their special. best player available, always at this pick

D-rock likes this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Where did Mobley's Dad play in the NBA? I can only find references to him playing overseas basketball, not actually making the league...

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Mobley's dad never made it to the NBA. he was only able to play overseas

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mobleer01.html

Milwaukee and Vancouver in their early expansion days. Former teammate of Rockets champion Pete Chilcutt and Moochie Norris (before he was Moochie Norris).

Edit: Turns out that’s a different Eric Mobley! Regardless, his dad is still a former pro and a legit D-1 coach — very different than Lavar Ball.

D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Just came into check if Mobley has worked out with us yet?

@Jontro

Jontro likes this.
  12. DonatelloLimestone

If I'm an agent or player. My first,2nd, third priority is finding the right fit, offense, coach, and team to have me flourish. This becomes even more important when you're a big like mobley so you need to be fed.

S o the cavs have Darius Garlan, but really no establishd team andBickerstaff is their coach...I'm not seeing anything promising there so its an odd thing.

If he was holding out for Toronto, maybe I get what hes doing

the other poster made a pont I didn't know. That Mobley's dad was a part of the coaching staff in USC where KPJ was kicked out. The college evnironment, especially USC, to kick out a high propsect of their team when they make so much money off their sports is notable. Now the same kid was also kicked off in High school and even NBA.

We obvioulsy saw the best of him, hes bcomin a fan favoirte and we saw the talent. But maybe under the hood theres things we dont know and mobleys dad just said i don't want that guy to be the lead pg feeding him teh abll or deciding how much mobley is involved. Could be. Its all speculation and while i'm on team green, we're all a bit dumbfounded when a highly touted prospect like Mbley won't workout for the no2.

but I don't find it indicting of him that he could just be looking for the fit which is really improtant as a big. HE can still be great, but yea it gives me a little pause since we are no 2, better money for him, and based on all we saw from KPJ, Silas with Kelly, that they can make a verstatile player work here in houston. But really, I'm not losing any sleep, we got the no 2 I want green anyways

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think that might be more a red flag, though, wrt stonewalling teams for his own benefit.

USC wanted his sons to sign with them.
    Is it completely coincidental he took a USC job when Isaiah was a junior in H.S.?
    Did he also consider UCLA, but they didn’t offer a job?

is this repeating at the NBA level?

#333 heypartner, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  14. DonatelloLimestone

Most will tell you, outside of the lebrons, the nba is an opportunity league. let alone that we have such slapstick reactions if mobley goes somewhere that doesnt develop him or give him useage the narrative can fall on him VERY fast

Look at wiseman, look at bagley...the wrong team can screw you and the nba is an unforgiving business. This isn't about goto the park and lay youre pride on the line, this millions of dollars on the line and a league that caters towards stars s othey get more forgvienses and chances, so i can see why they really want to nail it right

If trey young went somewhere where he had competiton and they didnt just let him suck it up and have high useage in the beggining, whose to say how he would pan out? Steph also had a lot of question marks and issues coming in with monta, they REALLY pushed to goto MDA /knicks...itwasn't because hes not a killer, bc they see the advantages to let him flourish. Heck even durant shot close to 40 percent in high useage, as in even a vet can perorm better in their first year, but the teams invested and developed to run with them through a bad year bc of his potential and it worked out

so how they develop is important. Cleveland had Porter at SF barely playing, we brought him as a pg, gave him high useage...and now he a fan favorite.

saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Cuttino is the daddy, Evan is his bebe.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Go for Barnes and Jalen Johnson plus a future lottery pick from the Magic. Cade is the best imo. If he falls to 2, and plays with a chip on his shoulder, that's ok with me.

Green still might workout for us. Mobley's dad shouldn't interfere in the Rockets affairs. Wood has played without any problems with KPJ. So can Evan.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep.

It's nucking futs.

18. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Here we go. Keep’em coming @ch44 !

D-rock and matchesmalone like this.
  19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rafael Stone did have lunch with KPJ.

Rafael has said it himself. He had lunch with KPJ

KPJ is going to be a All Star. Just needs guidance. So many skills at 21 years old.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that coaching is important. And front office and team culture is important. But everything else shouldn't be if you really believe that you are a great player. You shouldn't worry about fit. The team is supposed to fit you when you establish yourself as the cornerstone, not the other way around. If he needs fit to be a great player, he doesn't really have the confidence of being the best player in the draft.

Cleveland doesn't strike me as a great organization where great players thrive.