1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please explain to me the allure of sitting in your garage when it's 95 degrees

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You get to somewhat enjoy the outdoors without directly sitting in the sun.

TexasTofu and ATXNekko like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Please explain to me the allure of sitting in your garage when it's 85 degrees

jakedasnake and IBTL like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because it's mine and I own it. Because what's the point of drinking cold ass beer in the living room with AC?

4. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I only hang out in the garage if I'm hiding from the sun and doing something outside (putting something together, taking a break from washing the car, etc.).

I don't understand putting a TV in there and hanging out. I put cars in my garage. I put TV's inside the house.

5. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

When I met my wife I had a pool table, kegerator and couches in my garage. It used to be the place to hang out after the bars closed. My neighbors LOVED Me back then haha Then the kids were born and the people and toys went good bye

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

in some places its mostly smokers and drinkers who can't smoke and drink around the wife and kids.

IBTL likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

This has been my experience with various friends and acquaintances.

TexasTofu and VooDooPope like this.
  8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

jakedasnake and IBTL like this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The dog walkers should also pick up the dogs' poop. I hate it when the walkers pinch a loaf on the lawn. In "My Myself and Irene"? Funny. In real life, not so much---at least, not when it's your own lawn.

10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

who do u know that does that?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What a screen for your garage - oh yes please!

DD

Blatz and KingCheetah like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No. Not during July, August, or into September. Not unless you’re an avowed masochist, in my opinion.

The exception? If it’s a rainy day. When I was still in Houston, we got those from time to time, even in August. My cousin still lived in Southeast Houston, where I grew up, and in the ‘60’s, before he got a house with a big screened porch (which worked much better), I sometimes drove from Montrose and we would set up his ping pong table in his garage, ice down some tasty beverages, get a couple of fans going and we’d have some fun.

When it got dark, we closed the door part way, turned on a fluorescent blacklight we hung from some hooks screwed into the ceiling, and got out the painted gear. The table was already outlined everywhere with blacklight paint. Soon, streaks of colored light were going in all directions, and specks of glowing paint appearing on the walls and the paddles, likewise outlined with paint.

Outside, pouring rain. We’d call some friends, preferably girls we knew, with long tanned legs and wearing those little cut off shorts made from old jeans. They would join us and we’d have a little psychedelic ping pong party in his garage. A big garage during the summer rain can be a good thing.

OkayAyeReloaded and Xerobull like this.
  13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

Deckard likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't know anyone who does it, but I see it driving through my neighborhood and others on a regular basis. Garage door open, a person or people, sitting in chairs. Same people, different days, hot and humid as ****, sitting in their super hot-ass garage.

That's awesome. I get it to an extent in that scenario. Back then there was no internet, no video games, very limited TV selection. It was the same way for me. I didn't even have cable until I was 17. So I spent a lot of time outdoors as a kid.

But now....there's not much of a reason I can see during the dog days of summer. Spring, fall, winter, I can see it. I spend a lot of time in my garage doing stuff. But I put in a split unit AC and insulated the doors, so it's effectively another room that I can open two huge windows on.

So it wasn't 95 degrees and it was party. It's not just sitting

Yes, and we don't use our garages for cars.

Their addiction is driving them to go somewhere unpleasant to get their fix. I don't think it has much to do with choosing to sit in their garage.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Poop is welcome on my lawn.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My garage has rats. Nobody's hanging out in there. I do wonder if the rats have a breaking point though -- how hot does it need to get in there before they'll vacate?

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, unfortunately they won't leave unless your garage is probably burning down. A typical garage is probably nowhere close to how hot an attic gets that doesn't have a radient barrier/insulation etc. And I've seen them takeover attics that were ridiculously hot... Unfortunately you'll have to make the first move or they'll just be permanent residents.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, I've been working them over, but they're stubborn. Destroyed their nests, closed their holes, poisoned them. But it's a detached garage that backs up to the bayou, so I think there is an infinite supply of replacement rats. If it wasn't for those pesky arson laws, I'd have burnt that garage down a long time ago.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

white ppl

Xerobull likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

When I was married to my ex and had a detached garage, it was a way to get away from ex for a little while once things started going south for us. I was able to watch sports in peace (watching the 2017 World Series by myself with no one out there to see me break down when it ended was wonderful), have a beer, smoke a cig and something else without being bothered. Then we got divorced and it had become a habit. Had fans set up, a fridge with beers, a 50" tv, and my electric bug swatter. Since I moved to a house without the detached garage, I don't go out there near as much, especially since I quit smoking cigs and am with someone I don't need to hide out from.

TimDuncanDonaut and ico4498 like this.