1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's not certain that the vaccine will eliminate all but death come winter, come early 2022. There's a lot we don't know, go back 3 months and see how shocked people would be if you told them Phizer would only have a 16% efficacy against infection just 5 months out, things are constantly changing.

Death isn't the only national/global disaster point either, long term disability is a serious concern with real consequences.

And of course, we should put effort into combating obesity, but just because it's not the only problem that exists isn't a reason to be bothered with people concerned about the god damn pandemic

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Where are you getting this at? You work in the office with her?

TexasTofu likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

John Campbell speculated in that video I posted that it could relate to the longer gap between the first and second dose in the UK. This possibly created a stronger and longer lasting immune response.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I haven’t tried to look for the actual data source yet.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

Is there something that popped up recently about her?

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think he's kind of missing the implication that the longer pause meant brits have a more recent vaccine dose, it's possible that the UK catches up to Isreal in a couple of months time, hopefully, the wave is much less intense by then and it buys them time for other measures to be taken

I linked it what he's referencing on the other page

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Certainly that’s another possible outcome and time will tell. We also don’t know anything about people that get infected after vaccination and how their long term immune response will be. It does seem that vaccinated people are at much lower risk of long covid.

We also don’t know anything about the safety profile for people getting a 3rd vaccine shot or proper dosages. There’s a lot to still be determined, but they do seem to be continuing to provide very good protection against severe covid. I’d love to see an age breakdown of the vaccine effectiveness too.

Space Ghost likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Fearmongering implies the concern and warnings are not genuine. Medical people's warnings aren't that - they are still concerned about stupid unvaccinated people. There is also concern for all the kids under 12 that can't get vaccined, people with immune system compromise, health care workers that have the extra stress of covid protocols, etc. And of course that much of the world is not vaccinated yet, and every vaccine we throw away due to expiration makes it take that much longer to rid the world of the disease since we need to vaccinate lots of people to get to herd immunity.

You may not be concerned about other people, but I imagine the health sector that promotes the warnings are genuine in their statements. As are the people that talk about how these people are preventing life from getting back to normal for everyone else. Or the parents who worry about their younger kids. None of this is fearmongering.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Ah, the vaccine isn't made in America and the Delta variant isn't made in China. But other than that, on point - shouldn't be a hard decision, at all.

TexasTofu likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I saw UK study showing the longer delay may also help with longer lasting immune response, but that doesn't answer a similar trend in India.

adoo likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah he found out she's under 30 and Brown

Sajan likes this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Space Ghost
    Going to see if that Moderna vaccine worked in Miami . Great city brother

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

yeah a dude at work tested positive for covid. Only one there who hadn't had it before or wasn't vaccinated. He didn't spread it to anyone despite us all having a meal two days before he tested positive.

per CDC guidelines its hard to transmit to vaccinated people and breakthrough cases are not severe and not really reported.

I've gone back to normal life and morons who don't want a vaccine don't bother me.

Space Ghost, Sajan and tinman like this.
  15. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Unfortunately, us vaccinated folks who have kids too young to get vaccinated can't do that yet. We got very relaxed this summer, but with Delta and it's increased susceptibility for kids my family is heading back to masking-up any time we go out in public. Not just the kids, but my wife and I too...we can't risk catching it and passing it on to the kiddos.

The worst part is school on the verge of starting and no one in our state leadership wanting to do anything to protect the kids who can't get vaccinated. How difficult would it be to make masks mandatory, and continue with the social distancing measures in place last year, for at least a few months until all school-aged kids are eligible to get vaccinated. The numbers in the local schools weren't bad last year, but that was with masks/social distancing/Alpha strain...but I'm worried that the cases are going to explode in schools this year due to the lack of protection. And it sounds like many school districts are doing away with the COVID tracking that was in place last year! So we won't even know if the cases get out of hand!

Pringles, ElPigto, ico4498 and 2 others like this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He’s making a point for the people who don’t want the vaccine. ;) I wasn't going to include that part since people get picky, but I just left it since that's how it embedded.

That said...Moderna and Pfizer (Yes I know BioNTech was a partner) are American companies and the vaccine that Americans have used is nearly all US produced.

17. Bandwagoner

kids are almost always asymptomatic.

"
    In a series of preprints published on medRxiv13, a team of researchers picked through all hospital admissions and deaths reported for people younger than 18 in England. The studies found that COVID-19 caused 25 deaths in that age group between March 2020 and February 2021.

About half of those deaths were in individuals with an underlying complex disability with high health-care needs, such as tube feeding or assistance with breathing."

I don't want covid, I don't want people in my family to get it, but at some point the math has to sink in. Vaccine makes big time sense for me, I was happy to get it. Doesn't make sense for an 8 year old, if it did they would be vaccinating.

That survey was people younger than 18, not 12.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

hey, few things work for those choosing so far to not get vaccinated so maybe playing on that emotion just might :p

19. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

A) That's Alpha, not Delta
    B) It's not all about death...it's also about long COVID and other long-term issues caused by it
    C) Those lower numbers were with protections in place, such as masking and social distancing measures. In Texas those have been stripped away.

20. Bandwagoner

It is a block of time that contains the vast majority of the pandemic and over 100K deaths. Of those, about 1 dozen were under 18 and not in serious medical trouble.

The numbers are incredibly relevant despite your points. If they weren't, vaccines for children under 12 wouldn't be so far away.