1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Athletic] Will the Pistons and Rockets make a trade around the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooty, Jul 26, 2021.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Not only is the Detroit 1st we own a likely mid-1st pick, it also represents control of their pick for up to 7ish years.

The offer should be #2, Detroit’s pick and #24 AT MOST.

Otherwise I’m happy at #2

2. DonatelloLimestone

[​IMG]

We should start a CF pool or gofundme to cover his xanax during the draft and free agency for the sake of the team and city

Nook likes this.
  3. DonatelloLimestone

Where do you see cade following between the high projection of being luka light, maybe tyereke evans...worse of denzel valentine, who else?

And mainly, can cade make us five percent better since we do 95 percent right? hard hitting question.

Nook likes this.
  4. DonatelloLimestone

or we could just send him home and let him wait and lose nothing for our franchise. The dude has played some 30 games in 3 years, while makng more than lebron this year....no one has any sympathy. Remeber okc, the smart franchise who has all our picks? They got al horford, sent him home...didn't lose an asset.

Wall s not the logo of the nba or some players association darling where it will be an uproar if hes sitting at home just as hes been sitting at home for 3 ytears while collecting 150 million.

5. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

The Pistons beat writer is out of his mind.

This article was so turrible it made me reconsider my athletic subscription when I read it :rolleyes:

theDude and sirjesse like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I think he can be like a better version of Tyreke Evans, assuming Tyreke Evans never took bath salts.

Cunningham will be an all star IMO and may even be a top 10 player..... I just don't think he is the second coming of Jesus like some think.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  7. alethios

alethios Member

I hope we don't leverage our future draft prospects for Cade when the unicorn of the draft is going to be there when we pick #2. I'm more convinced than ever that our biggest swing for the fences move is to draft Mobley.

BamBam likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

It's the journey.... and not the destination that matter..... I wish nothing but inner strength and self love for you... I light a candle for you, because YOU matter in this great big universe.

tmoney1101 and KingCheetah like this.
  9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Tilman ain’t letting a guy making 30 mil a year sit home and if he’s here Silas is going to give him big minutes. Also John really hasn’t done anything to justify banishing him so I think the best thing for all parties is to deal him. Lakers are looking desperate for a vet allstar point guard maybe we can take advantage of that. I’m not sure how we could make the salaries work though maybe take back one of their vet big men.

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

That seems like a long shot though at this point. Mobley doesn’t even believe we have serious interest. It’s going to be green or Cade.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Pistons like Green and are trying to drive up the value and see if they can take advantage of the Rockets. No thanks. We will keep the #2 pick and draft Green.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Lmao at unprotected Rockets first. Come on dude.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  13. DonatelloLimestone

I get that, but he just doesn't have options. The issue is if hes detrimental to our other talent that will be making more money and direct the franchise for the future. but yea Its hard to see him sitting pat on this and john wall turns out to be an easily worse contract than westbrook too. Eric gordon is close to untradeable too.

I do agree so john wall has been fine. Hes had his typical inefficient play with flashes of athletic briliance which was a pleasant surprise. he is saying all the right things trying to compete and just enjoy playing, but the speculation is that he'll be unhappy, we don't know how hell handle t. Not even 30 million bro, its 40 plus..hes top 5/6 in the nba in contracts and has barely played in 3 years.

Maybe someone gets desperate and trades for him, but he has less guarantee than most that he can stay on the floor. Coupled with his money, lack of shooting woes which makes his game adjustments harder, he is not a desirable product. And it seems they'd probably go for westbrook before they went for wall in terms of bad contracts or of ourse possibly chris paul f sarver decides to run it back to 2010s sarver.

And you nailed it, hes 40 million plus so making the salary work for anyone is very very difficult. You could say sign and trade with dennis and add kuzma or whoever, but those players are worth more than wall even. So the most likely thing is either he becomes a good vet and rides this out, most likekly. He gets pissed off and vocal and we either send him home or try to trade him or we wwait till next offseason where he is an expiring so more tradeable or a buy out might be more appealing

ITs a very very tough contract and the pick we got is heavily protected, but russ like everyone else on the rockets squad wanted out so we didn't have leverage

14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Is the gap between Cade and Green that wide?

15. alethios

alethios Member

How can he when all the smoke and hype are around us picking Green. It's like we're talking it into reality.

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That pick has a lot more value when dealing with Detroit than it does with any other team because it hinders their ability to make deals until it’s transferred on to of the ultimate value of the pick. I doubt it will be before 2025 when it will be at least #13. I think there’s enough value there that I wouldn’t even offer anything additional.

finsraider likes this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Better hope Cade isn't Markelle Fultz, then.

18. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Guys, the bid/ask is (I pray) way too wide. All of us are like "I'd trade #2 and these couple other things and that is the MOST. Otherwise, GTFO". Meanwhile the Pistons & their fans are all saying "I'd need the #2, plus at least one Rox unprotected pick, plus these more than a couple other things at the LEAST. Otherwise, GTFO".

A trade isn't going to happen unless we massively, stupidly overpay, which we should all be hoping we don't.

19. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Yeah, but the trade was worth it in hindsight. I liked the trade at the time as well to be honest (since they got something back for Westbrook who wanted out). I don't think Westbrook would/could have been traded even if he did stay another year -- who would've traded for him?

Wall, I think, has a better season in 2021-22, and can at least provide some veteran guidance for Porter/Martin/Green. Remember that he was a very popular player when those guys were growing up. Plus Wall has more to prove AND still has his speed. Best case is he ups his value and gets traded. Obviously the contract is still horrible.

In the end if Westbrook wasn't traded then more than likely Houston isn't sitting here with the #2 pick. The Wall trade was definitely worth it.

20. DonatelloLimestone

I don't know if that specific trade was worth it, but Westbrook ws dealing with an all time low trade value(it is improved now) and as yuo mentioned, westbrook is just better than wall. Westbrook, with all his frustartions and limitations especially in the playoffs, is one of the best floor raisers in the game and could've led us into contention for a play in tournament. Good for him, but I think we all would rather have the no 2 pick so yea one way or another we had to get it done.

But now westbrook ahs a better market, but then again like you, I would've done it last summer so we can focus on our rebuild and no 2.

Wall has a lot more to prove, but he also had a lot to prove last year. Right now, even he knows he has the 6th highest salary in the nba, comparable to lebron, and not one team would trade for him straight up or even for free just to pay him. I was surprised that he looked athletc and fluid last year, but his style has always been inefficient even in his prime. I hope hes learned from 2 years away from the game that can be a veteran presence, but hes never been known as that type of person.

Even if he plays, the other issue with wall is him staying on the court. Were looking at a guy on the wrong side of 30, a game based on athleticism, injured for 2 straight years and then in the 3rd only played 30 games...could he rejuvinate? Sure...is it likely? especially to his contract to be worth it, no. And in terms of proving it, no one, no one in this league is going to best wesbtrook n terms of motivation, energy, and a chip on his should to prove it. thats 3 years straight we saw a 2nd half of season of westbrook that looked like an all star rejuvination. He obviously has a limited value too and we made the right choice for our team, but I think those guys who we hope will take wall in golden state or ny or clippers would choose westbrook first before this