1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

My first EV will be a Model 3 Plaid

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's amazing how you just hand wave away facts.

Model 3 sales down 45% is a fact and Tesla's overall worldwide market share is down, fact./

You can't have it both ways, yu were crowing about U.S. market share and ignoring world wide and now you are qualifying that the model share is only down in the U.S.

By the end of 2021 Tesla will not have the same 80% market share in the U.S. and their market share in the world will be greatly impacted as well.

Do you want to make a bet on that

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Tesla is currently the best EV but other companies are catching up pretty quickly, especially companies that are being managed better. Elon's leadership is questionable and has seemingly gotten worse. Tesla's own customers are getting annoyed at them and it's not a small number. I myself am a Model 3 owner who loves his car, but my next car is getting less likely to be a Tesla, even if I am looking for an EV.

Tesla (deservedly) has a reputation now of overpromising and underdelivering. Plaid+ was canceled and the reasoning that Elon gave did not make any sense. It was complete BS to hide either some production issues maybe. Just look at FSD, it's been in beta for years with no definitive launch date. How many people have purchased FSD and now regret it? I don't trust the Cybertruck to release and the Roadster was announced like 3 years ago, no news since It's merely a pipe dream at this point.

While Tesla figures out what to cancel next, other auto manufacturers are quietly doing their business and releasing cool EVs. Not to mention the Chinese EV companies potentially expanding worldwide.

4. Space Ghost

I think this sums up your negativity. Plaid is the now the fastest production car on the planet at a fraction of the cost ... and then you say 'but what about Plaid+'. Im just not sure what you're expecting. Musks explanation is obvious; Plaid+ is cancelled because the marginal gains are just not worth it. This is the problem Iphone faced and unfortunately died on the hill.... the marginal incremental upgrades. Plaid+ or equivalent will have the 4680 battery design and possibly a better motor found in the Plaid.

Like the original Model S, Plaid will be used to find cheaper and more efficient ways to produce the motor which then will be an upgrade in the Model 3/Y for a modest upgrade fee.

If you watched Musks brief presentation on the new motor and get past the 2.0 much wow factor, he explains the increase in efficiency's of the new motor. Cars are not the only demand for electric motors.

Most of the other EV manufactures are doing little to improve on EV tech across the board and are instead focusing on style. Yes, these cars will turn heads, but the reality is that vast majority of vehicles on the road all look the same. Style is overrated.

CXbby likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Deciding to cancel a product because the returns aren’t worthwhile usually happens before the product gets announced and you start taking orders for it, not months after. It’s crap business.

a lot of people don’t care about these technical battery improvements. They want a car that is convenient to charge and is cheap. Once charging infrastructure catches up, which will happen sooner than you think, tesla will lose its main advantage.

dmoneybangbang, jiggyfly and superfob like this.
  6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I think the entire luxury market is about style. Seems silly to say it's overrated. People aren't buying hellcats over a Lambo. Cars are much more than a 0-60 number.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Said nobody in the history of cars.

Style and price are the top 2 things when shopping for a car.

cheke64 and TheRealist137 like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's not just the luxury market its the entire market, that's why most cars get a refresh every 2 years and a lot gets styling tweeks every year.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Tesla model S hasn’t been fully redesigned for 10 years. No one wants to buy a car that looks no different from something from 10 years ago. 1.99 0-60 or not.

superfob and jiggyfly like this.
  10. Space Ghost

Most of the vehicles out there look the same. Even the luxury brands like lexus and BMW capitulated producing the lower cost soccer mom crossovers.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does that have to do with claiming styling is overrated?

They look the same because that's the STYLE consumers want.

12. Space Ghost

If Plaid+ was an announced model, what were the proposed specs? Vast majority of people are not even aware of Plaid, much less Plaid+. Again, youre nit picking. And we all know Tesla isn't your run of the mill auto company. Its fine. You dont like Tesla. But there is no need expecting them to adhere to some dumb industry standard that you're used to.

They WILL care. The 4680 reduces cost, increases capacity and longevity. Yes, I understand it needs to be proven, but so does every other manufacture out there that hasn't mass produced their vehicles and have had them on the road for several years. Better batteries and better motors absolutely matter. This is what creates more efficient vehicles and a lower cost.

13. Space Ghost

In another episode on When Facts Don't Matter

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tesla-tracks-factory-workers-every-171830353.html

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I was on the fence about getting one, but the Atari Lynx steering wheel sealed it for me. I just love retro touches in new cars.

AleksandarN and KingCheetah like this.
  16. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

FrontRunner and ThatBoyNick like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

20. lpbman

lpbman Member

Re: the Model S plaid

It's too fast. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it is way too fast for the street, and too fast for the drag strip without a full roll cage and a parachute.

I've driven fast cars, ridden in some very fast cars... and I've had 150+hp street bikes. This thing will smoke a hayabusa or even an H2. Those bikes are sledgehammers that just slap you around even when you are "ready" for them. Now soccer moms are going to end up behind the wheel because dad wanted the fast one.

There needs to be a special key like the Dodge Demon to unlock all the power, or something similar.

CCity Zero likes this.