1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ayton vs. Lavine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Jul 25, 2021.

?

Green or Mobley?

Poll closed Jul 30, 2021.
  1. Green

49 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Mobley

27 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Officially dying on this hill EASILY!!

imagine Kobe or Jordan not working out for the teams picking top 3

GTFO. Debates been over

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'm not a "Green only fan" but definitely heavily pro Green over Mobley. Regardless of who we pick though I'm going to root for the Rockets. Whoever's a Rocket, that's who I'm rooting for. If it's not the guy I wanted, that's cool, I just want to FO to make the best decision they can for the team.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Clutchfans until the end of time:

[​IMG]

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I can't see the comparisons to Gobert at all .... they are totally different players & Gobert is just so damn big 7-1 - 240 / long 7 foot 8.5 wingspan) and is a more traditional center where Mobley is not quite as long and in general is a more perimeter oriented player.

One is a true 5 and the other is more of a 4 with the ability to defend the 5.

Gobert's offensive skills are limited to pick and roll , rim running & putbacks ....

I hesitate to compare anyone to Gobert defensively , he's a very unique player in that regard because of his length , Only guys I can think of that really compares to him also played in Utah .... Mark Eaton but Eaton was much wider , Yao before the injuries sapped his mobility too maybe.

I think the comparisons to Bosh are reasonable in terms of position , size and skillset.

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Ayton is like the 3rd best player on the Suns team. He ain’t nothing special. If that’s what Mobley will become, I’ll gladly pass.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only liken him to Gobert in terms of height and rim protection.

And both are very disciplined shot blockers who do not need to foul to protect the rim.

Gobert was also compared the stick Shawn Bradley and only 230 when he came out.

In all other skills, Mobley is better than Gobert IMO.

Much more explosive athlete, better range, better ball handler, better passer, better in transition and much better perimeter defender.

7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

At this point I hope they just choose Suggs, I am curious to see what it would look like to see all of Clutchfans simultaneously implode.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

What if Ayton stonewalls the Rox and refuses workouts and physicals?

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

scouting the draft for the rockets is not my full time job, its just an interest of mine. I form my opinion based on the opinions of "experts" and news available to the average fan. I've even dug pretty deep beyond what an average fan would do to research this choice. I would consider myself as informed as any fan can be at this point, and yet my information and knowledge is only a fraction of what stone and the rockets scouting and analytics department is working with.

I may lean green, but if they say mobley is the better choice I have to trust them since they know more than I do. I would hope we all have the same self awareness and trust in those who are paid to know more than us about this stuff. whoever is picked is the face of our franchise and we all better hope they turn into the best player in this draft.

freckleslol, vator and D-rock like this.
  10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I’m good either way. I like both players and think they will be really good pros. I just lean towards a unicorn big in today’s modern NBA. Finding a scoring G today seems a lot easier, that’s just my opinion. I will trust Stone and all of the research they have done on the pick. And this is just another building block for the team, this won’t be our last high draft pick in the coming years while we rebuild.

D-rock likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Zach made the All Star team this year and is playing for his country in the Olympics. To say 6-year vet is the floor of someone whom haven't played a NBA game yet, is disrespectful.

Not against role playing or whatever, if really a Green stan, why not stan from your main account. If really believe in someone; say it with confidence, instead of a burner.

Reeko and D-rock like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I know. But I just had to type it out to show how ridiculous it is.

D-rock likes this.
  13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I don't think anybody is going to go that far. The overwhelming love for either prospect is a combination of anxiety, impatience, and a lack of trust for our front office to make the right decision, even if there may be multiple "right" decisions. If you think you're RIGHT, then it's beyond frustrating to watch the front office pander on about the player you don't prefer without having any say on the final decision

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Now make a poll asking Anthony Davis or Lavine. It'll be about as informative as this one.

A better question would be Bam or Lavine... since both are about the same age and ranking.

D-rock likes this.
  15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You saw what a 19 yr old Giannis looked like vs what he looks like now?

D-rock likes this.
  16. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Lol, I'm not a burner.

I don't believe you have to diminish your expectations of a prospect you believe in out of respect to vets. I believe in Jalen and I'm firm that he'll be better than Lavine.

At one point fans thought it was disrespectful to say Luka would be better than Harden. Turns out the people who said that were correct.

Being accurate > being respectful.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Are you a Rocket fan at least?

D-rock likes this.
  18. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Yeah I'm a Houston resident and have been a rockets fan my whole life. I'm going to link you to this post of mine, hopefully it offers some credibility that I'm a Rockets guy first. Post 467

Lavine was drafted as a raw guy with potential who a team would need to be patient with to develop. The team that drafted him, Minnesota, never even saw him realize this potential. He had to work extremely hard for a long time to become more than just a slam dunk competition guy.

Jalen Green is entering the league with much more polish. There's a reason he's going #2 and Lavine went #13.

19. DonatelloLimestone

@Jalen Green OnlyFan
    Yea, 'm not sure how much of zach lavine you have seen in college but he could always shoot and he has more lift on his shot than green. Hes also a guy that has gotten better and more efficient every, single year

Coming off a season at 24 where he averaged 25 on 45. percent, 38/80 shooting splits he INCREASed his volume and Efficiency (thats a huge tell thats he just is getting better rather than more opportunity only) and at 25 averaged 27-5-5 on 50/40 shooting splits

If he is lavine, I'll be realistically happy while we're all hoping for some superstar, a reoccurring all star ain't bad.

But due to their play styles I don't think hes a comp. but another high level all star in Beal I think might work, could be buddy hield too

20. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Zach's first few years he couldn't do anything but shoot open 3s and dunk though. Shooting ability and athleticism are great skills but he had no offensive moves. He was absolutely seen as a project that had potential but needed to be developed.

Jalen Green is entering the league as someone who already has displayed the ability to create off the dribble. He has spin moves, step backs, and shooting in rhythm off a pivot. There's a reason he's such a highly rated prospect.

Green has at least as much talent as Zach and is much more polished at this stage in their careers. He will reach greater highs.