1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 23, 2021.

1. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Glad to see the brooms have been broken out! WE'RE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES AGAIN

2. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

The A’s seemed to have that kind of constant luck earlier in the season too. Need an advanced metric to measure Pissanthood, like Wins Above Fernando Viña (WAFV)

3. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Not usually ;)

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I know but i think he can put it together. Same as Los looking awful during this slump.

A's lose

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros bottomed out in 2011 but still already had Altuve, Keuchel, and Springer in the system. That years draft netted them Correa and LMJ.

The Rangers have been non competitive since 2017? 2018? Yes, if this their true bottoming out point, fine… but if they don’t already have those caliber players in their system or hit HR’s on their first two draft picks next year, they’re light years behind.

it’s not easy to do what the Astros pulled off. It requires a ton of good fortune. From already having future MVP and CY young award winners there before the official bottom to the whole Aiken fiasco.

6. Buck Turgidson

raining threes and King1 like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Josh Jung, the kid they got high in the draft from TxTech 2 years ago, is gonna be a monster I think. Whether he can stick at 3B is the question, but so far all signs point to yes.

He's the only guy of theirs I really know anything about.

Htown Legend and raining threes like this.
  8. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Are we going to pretend the Astros were competitive prior to 2011? Yeah I agree, I'm just saying if we want to compare the 2 this season is more like the 2012 system. At that point Astros did have Altuve and Keuchel, but they didn't break out until 2014. So basically, I think we're on the same page lol. All depends on how the Rangers handle their "2011-2013" seasons and what kind of luck they have. Astros definitely got had some great luck; even with that abysmal 2013 draft

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think it’s extremely “taking for granted” that every bottoming out team already has a trio of Altuve, Keuchel, Springer in their system prior to the bottoming out year.

the Astros got Springer with the 11th pick, so partially due to being bad, but the other two were a combination of solid scouting, player resolve and flat-out good fortune/luck.

Again, if it was that easy, every team that hits rock bottom would be in the playoffs within 4 years of their first #1 pick. It’s not that easy.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We shall see. I thought Nick Solak had some Springer-like lead off potential, but he’s since been optioned.

11. Buck Turgidson

Little bit of difference in pedigree though...Jung is more Bregman while Solak is more Derek Fisher

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I for one would find it very funny if the A's missed the playoffs because the Mariners outperformed their run differential and won a wild card.

13. Buck Turgidson

Poetic justice.

I'm going to enjoy "hating" the Mariners again for this series.

Uprising and rockbox like this.
  14. HTXSportsAddict

Bregman is starting his rehab stint in AAA tomorrow. Can he finally get back to 2019 Bregman? That would be nice.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Alvarez will put it all together again. Its been a rough stretch. He will adjust, hopefully this year. I do think he will be a 40 homer guy in the next couple of seasons as he matures. Too talented not to be a force.

16. Buck Turgidson

hehehe...this thread is awesome, July 4-6, 2016.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/official-mariners-astros.276029/

Some funny stuff in here re: AJ Reed, Carlos Gomez, Mike Fiers, Luis Valbuena...we're scoreboard watching the Rangers games

I've never re-read a series thread before, but I thought of this one (I remembered I busted out stanzas of Rime of the Ancient Mariner at some point, that's what made me think of it). Took about 30 mins to scroll through while watching CWS/MIL.

Whatever happened to @cardpire and @mick fry

raining threes likes this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Nice that we took care of business and swept the rangers.

Didn’t play that well though, and will need to be better.

All in all a sweep is a sweep. Nice that the A’s are now 5.5 back of us.

HTXSportsAddict and Uprising like this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Man @what was totally on point about defending Altuve in 2016. @Hey Now! looks like a jerk now in that thread

19. Buck Turgidson

Those were truly strange times.

RKREBORN likes this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Try hating SEATTLE instead of THE MARINERS. It helps a little.